cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone powering off and unable to turn back on without a battery pull after gingerbread...

Journeyman

phone powering off and unable to turn back on without a battery pull after gingerbread...

i, as many others, have been having issues with the gingerbread update. a very annoying one that i've not seen mentioned yet is what's going on with mine.

my phone will charge, the sd card isn't unmouting - but it is just powering down on it's own. it will NOT turn back on either. it's just like the battery is completely drained, even though it will have charge (it did it the first time as soon as i unplugged it from a full charge). the only way i can get my phone to turn back on is to take it apart, plug the phone in the charger without the battery - it shows "battery required" on the screen, then i can unplug it and put the battery back. the phone will turn back on and will be work fine for a while.

so far it's happened 3 times now. i depend on my phone and right now it's unreliable. is there a "work around" for this issue? it's annoying.

on another note, i'm experiencing the volume issues as well. you can turn the phone all the way down and it's like the volume is turned up all the way. i can't use it unless i've got my bluetooth. and i'm having issues with my touch screen too. it's way too sensitive. i can be typing and get 2-3 of the same letter with one press. it wasn't like that to begin with.

i hope sprint will roll out another update soon - or a roll-back to froyo...

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Master

Sorry you are having this problem with the device,  You are correct in that is the first time I have seen this issue posted.  At this point I would direct to a service and repair store to have them  run a post test on the device.  The also need to look at why it is turning off.  LG is responsible for the roll out of the update if effected all optimus device no matter the carrier the device was on.  We are working to get  all issues  resolved as quickly as possible. At this time I have head nothing about rolling back the OS

Journeyman

Re: phone powering off and unable to turn back on without a battery pull after gingerbread...

Yes, the update has caused many problems.  Check this website out: http://www.androidcentral.com/?page=3 for more detail.  Yes, supposedly Sprint is aware. This link states what improvements you were supposed to recieve.  http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-begins-gingerbread-roll-out-lg-optimus-s

In my opinion a rollback is the best option for now.  If not then your stuck with a bad phone where otherwise it worked decently.

Journeyman

I have the same problem, it happens daily!!!

On or about Wednesday, September 21, 2011 my phone said it was updating and rebooted itself. It was the new 2.3.3 version. The first thing I notice was the black top with neon green, I didn't really like the black but it was just cosmetic and didn't really bother me. What did bother me was that the keyboard had changed. I did not like it, especially the fact that it's predictive text was horrible, totally useless in fact! Instead of predicting the word it gives names in your contact list and words you have used on your phone and they all start with a capital letter. I called it about it and they said that there would be a maintenance update sent out within the next week or 2 that would fix it. On Saturday my phone shut off by itself and I could not turn it back on using the power button, I took the battery out and put it back in and was able to turn it on. Sunday morning my alarm did not go off and I woke up late. My phone had shut itself off. I called Sprint customer care, on the way to church. The girl I spoke to said she would call me after church and get me though to a technician who could help me. Her supervisior got on the phone to confirm the call back which we scheduled for 1pm EST. She never called me back. After 2pm I called Sprint. Basically was told that I needed to take the phone to a repair center, nothing they could do. I did not want to do that as I had learned from my last experience that they would just hard reset it and that would only give me more aggrevation and probably not fix ther problem. Monday morning same thing happened, woke up, no alarm, phone was off. Took it straight to Sprint store, where they told me they would have to hard reset it. The guy assured me that it would more than likely fix the problem. It didn't, Tuesday morning same story. At this point I had noticed other problems with my phone, I couldn't save contacts, I couldn't set a personal ring tone, I was having problems when typing in forms online, and sometimes when I was on a call I was not getting notices of incomeing calls. If they did not leave a voice mail I would not even know I had missed a call.

I called Sprint and was told by a supervison that she was aware of the problem, she herself had the same phone with problems, but that the technician could downgrade the system for me. She transfered me to the technician who told me that was not true. He told me that they were aware of the problem and their only solution was to replace my phone. The replacement phones are refurbished, not new. I don't have a problem with that, but I want it to at least look new as this is no fault of my own that I have to keep replacing my original new phone. I was struggling to accept the situation and asked him to call me back in 2-3 hours. After 4 hours waiting I called Spint and spent more time being aggrevated. While on the call with them the technician called me and left me a voice mail, but I did not get to talk to him. Luckily he sent me an email, he had created a ticket for me to go get a replacement. I was told by Sprint that I could not do this over the phone. I had to spend my time and gas to go to the Sprint store wait for an hour so that they could write up an order for the replacement phone. What a waste of my time, this should have been done over the phone. I told the gentleman to make a note that I wanted a phone with a clean screen, no scratches. He said he did. I was to come back on Thursday.

I went in on Thursday, waited for almost an hour to pick up the phone and low and behold there were mulitple scratchs on the screen!!!! I know it might seem petty, but is it too much to ask? They ordered a replacement, now I was to wait till Monday, 4 more days with a bad phone. I called Spint totally beyond frustrated. I was speaking to a supervisor who told me she could get me anther phone to replace mine, not an LG Optimus, and it would be full touch screen, no keyboard, and I wouldn't not have to pay anything, she wanted to restore my faith in Sprint. She put me on hold, after awhile a girl picked up the phone and asked me for my number. Seems I was put back into the system. I explained that I need to talk to the supervisor and told her the name. She asked me what was the problem. I told her very briefly and asked again for the supervison. The girl got an attitute and kept trying to get me to give her all the details, which I was so sick and tired of giving and I just wanted to get back to the supervisor who was helping me. She put me on hold and never came back, after about 20 minutes of holding I hung up and called back. Of course you can never get to talk to who you were because there are over 100 call centers!

I finally got put on with another supervisor who assured me that she could get me this great new phone, but she had to put me through with the tech department, he assured me he could get me this great new phone, but he had to put me thought to a supervisior, who assured me, but had to put me though to someone else who finally told me the truth, they were all liars and no one at Sprint could do anything for me. I had to get my replacement thought the Sprint store. She was kind enough to say she would credit my account an inconvienince fee of $25, well at least that will cover the gas for all the trips to the Sprint store!

This morning (Friday) I talked to the manager of the Sprint store. He explained my options: get the replacement, hope it has good screen and works the way it should or down grade to a Samsung Intercept with touch screen and keyboard. He said he could in no way help me get a better phone. I am so disappoint in Sprint and their policies that only benefit them. I guess I am used to dealing with companies that want to make their customers happy and will go out of their way to make sure of it. Not say sorry you are having this terrible experience but I can't do anything to make up for it. Here's $25 for your inconvienience.

Journeyman

to begin with, i have no earthly idea where a repair store is. the closest sprint store is almost an hour away, and they aren't the most intelligent people alive (i've been there a few times, i'd rather deal with the problem myself than those who work there)...and i understand that lg needs to roll out the update - but can't sprint just roll out the last update, the one that put us all at 2.2.2? at least then i could rely on my phone, unlike now.

i've looked into the forums havek, i'm afraid of bricking my phone to be honest. but right now, it'd be worth it - not like it's really a useful piece of equipment or anything lol

and wow, jennamc...sounds like you're getting shafted. if you acutally get somewhere let me know, good luck

Journeyman

I have the same problem with the phone powering off randomly.  This is very annoying, especially since I have kids and would like to know that if there's an emergency, I can actually receive a call or text.

I discovered by accident that I have to pull the battery out and put it back in, then turn on the phone in order for it to work again.  For the 21st century, that's insane.  I cannot believe Sprint or LG did not know about the bugs.

I really liked the Froyo look, and I even complained to the Sprint store reps about the new look.  I guess Sprint doesn't really care.  They should have given us the option for the upgrade.  If and when I can get out of my contract, it's over with Sprint.  I've been with Sprint for 8 years.  I think it's time to move on.

Wizard

Re: phone powering off and unable to turn back on without a battery pull after gingerbread...

See this post for issues following the update.  It also includes a link with instructions on how to revert back to Froyo if desired.

Journeyman

akutenshi,

If you are not experienced in rooting or rolling back your software I HIGHLY suggest you DON'T do this.  I meant to say that you talk to Sprint about having it rolled back.

jennamc77,

First, DON'T GET THE INTERCEPT!!!!!!  You will hate your own existence if you do.  Samsung phones are the worse!!!  As far as I am concerned EVERY WIRELESS COMPANY stinks to the max but there are a handful of people within said compnaies who actually care.  If you want help you will only get real help if you call Sprint.  Yes, I know you did.  My experience is this, call and flow thru the menus until you get the options of having problems with making a call or can not access the internet.  These are 2 seperate options.  Speak to someone there and let them know why you are calling.  Politely insist that you need the phone to work like last year.  You may get transfered over to a supervisor.  Repeat your polite insistance and you should get a satisfactory result.

I have been going this route since November 16, 2010.  They are the only reps I can say get results.  Whether these are the same people you have spoken to or not I don't know but it has worked for me.  Seriously, those people help.

Hope anyone trying this option out is as fortunate as myself.

Journeyman

WOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!, someone in Sprint actually listened to a customer!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone gets lost following link after link here is the end result (where you want to end up at)..  http://shop2.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/pda_smartphone/lg_optimus_s.shtml

For those of you like akutenshi, who want to learn how to root or do nice things to your phone Sprint is giving you an idiot proof crash course. Albeit, Sprint's way, but there you go.

Oh, and for everyones enjoyment if anyone wants to be a guinea pig, I mean brave, I mean the first and try this let us all know how it worked out for you.      hey, no sweat Sprint got you covered.   hehehehe , don't worry, I have 2 of these.  I will do it tonight and confirm.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Last night I went to the Sprint store to have my phone reverted back to the old operating system 2.2.2. When she brought it out I tested it by adding a new contact, it worked! I was so happy and assured that this had fixed my phone, my feelings towards Sprint were much more possitive. When I got home I was attempting to set up my phone, but I couldn't set up my gmail account because it was showing I had no data. I went into the Sprint Zone and the voice was working but not data, I played around a bit and did a 3G diagnostic and got my data working. Started setting up my phone, noticed the calendar information from before upgrade was in my phone, was happy about that. I tried to assign my husband a private ringtone but it didn't work (issue I had after recent corrupt upgrade to 2.3.3). I decided that if that was all that was wrong, I could live with it. Woke up this morning and checked my phone, it was on! I decided to save the Sprint store number in my phone. It did not work! I decided to try something. I went to import contacts and choose the one that was saved yesterday, it said I had 167 contacts, whereas in my phone it said 156. I watched it load and saw all the numbers I had tried to save unsuccessfully, but after loading it still was showing only 156 in my phoneSmiley Sad Same problem I had after recent corrupt upgrade. Seems like all these fixes are not fixing the problem, at least not permenantly.

Journeyman

Jennamc77,

I was unable to downgrade my phones due to lack of time.  However, I just reread the instructions Sprint left for everyone and this is my opinion.

Regarding your contacts verify where you are actually saving them to.  Go to contacts --> menu --> view.  It seems to me that you have a mesh.  You have contacts saved under you Google account and in your sdcard.  When this happens you will infact suffer from the problems you are experiencing.  It has nothing to do with the downgrade.  This is also why you have 167 contacts on one side and 156 on another.

The reason why all your contacts and calender details were preserved is because your phone synched with google.  I love Google buuuuuut... your personal data on a company server, cloud at that!!!!!  Privacy alert.... Privacy alert....  That's just the paranoia in me.   hehehe....

Some of the other problems you are experiencing is because Sprint did not provide the option to wipe your caches(memory) like Dalvik, battery stats, etc.  There may very well be some GB stuff laying around with no proper pointers, connections, associations, etc.  It's not a do or die situation but it will be aggravating when something does not work correctly.  WIth no root on your phone you are under Sprint's direct mercy.  Did I say root?! 

I suggest 2 courses of action:  1. return the phone to Sprint and ask for a full wipe including the caches.  2. Not so effective and even a waste of my time to mention but do a hard reset (factory reset).  The 3rd... wait I only said 2... do I have to say it?????  hehehehe..

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat