Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

voicemail will NOT update

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Today I have a notice that there is an upgrade available for the voicemail softwate on my LG Optimus S (now using version T.5.1.0.62). When I tried to update the software I was told that there is not a enough space on my device. I barely have anything beyond the normal apps (facebook, twitter, maps, etc) and move everything that allows me to to the SD card, but still must delete several of them.

After doing that, when I try to install, it downloads something, then says "Sorry, there was a problem installing the update. Installation failed." and a handy retry button, which is not useful at all since there is NO indication at all as to what corrective action I can take to help get the update installed. Pressing "retry" just gives the same results over and over, with no clue as to what is wrong.

Why can't I install the upgrade to standard, vetted software that came with the phone? My phone is not rooted. Isn't this why us stupid consumers are not supposed to have full access to the phone internals, so that when updates become available they are installed on standardized phones?

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

I'm getting the same problem.  I really wish someone would fix this!

Journeyman

All four of mine have the same issue.

Master

I just got a test device and it updated the voicemail application successfully...but it was just activated and had not been personalized yet...So, I would suggest first saving all of your voicemails to your storage card...then go to home/menu/settings/applications/all/voicemail/clear data.  Then go back into the voicemail application and let it try to update again.  Tell me if it will let you successfully update it after this. 

thank you

-John

Journeyman

Thanks for the reply.

I tried this already and it did not work. I just tried to do it again, but it is once again complaining that there is not enough storage space to even begin the install (I reinstalled all of my apps that I previously deleted to try and get it to reinstall the first time). I have 32.84MB of available internal storage and move every single app that allows me to to my SD card. The voicemail app reports it only uses TOTAL 0.93 MB of storage. If I have over 32x that amount of internal memory free how can it be that it can't even download the update?

The only other thing I should report is that I have the Gingerbread update (2.3.3) running on my phone. Since it seems that this seems to be a problem for so many other people for other things, perhaps this is part of the problem here as well.

As a side note, this is another issue I don't understand. The phone only comes with something like 160MB of internal storage and yet most apps do not allow you to move or store data on the SD card. My #1 memory hog is Dialer Storage using 12.6 MB (I BTW only have about 20 contacts), yet the options to "clear data" or "move to SD card" are not available. I even just cleared the call log and it didn't change the amount of memory it is using.

Journeyman

Re: voicemail will NOT update

This is happening to me, too.  I also have more than enough memory. I tried to follow the first responders' instructions to move the remaining voicemail to my sd card, but I don't get the option to do it.

Journeyman

That's probably because the update is what allows you to save the messages to the SD card according to the alluring message prompting you to update.

Journeyman

All of mine have Gingerbread as well.  The phones work fine and other apps update without a problem.

I also tried what was posted to get past the error and no go.

Journeyman

I have the same suite of problems.  At first couldn't update because there wasn't enough MBs available on the built in memory.  Now there's enough space, but can't install due to an unknown problem.  Try again, no there isn't enough space.  I'm caught in a loop!

Please someone provide a fix.

Master

The Gingerbread update for the LG Optimus was pulled and is not fulyl supported due to the many issues it has associated with it.

I would recommend downgrading the software back to the fully supported Froyo version (files and step by step instructions are available at www.sprint.com/downloads) and try to update the VVM app again. The Gingerbread update has numerous issues that essentially make the Optimus unusable for many people (buttons not working all of the time, phone not charging, etc.). It is quite possible that the VVM update was not tested on the Gingerbread software and doesn't support it since it was pulled weeks ago due to issues.

Journeyman

I downgraded my phone back to froyo and the voicemail upgrade worked.

This is not the optimal solution though. I hope that Sprint/LG release a working version of Gingerbread and in the future do a better job of announcing major problems with software releases. I was not aware of any problems with Gingerbread on this device or Sprint "pulling" it, until I came here recently for this problem. I updated my phone months ago when it first became available. If Sprint has a problem with a OS they release that can cause such major problems that "pull" it and even recommend downgrading to the previous version, they should do a better job of telling those with affected devices. A text seems like a simple and reasonable solution.

Journeyman

It would have taken away some of the displeasure with Sprint if they had given us the info that you just did. Here's an idea! Take what you just wrote, add a "thank you for remaining a loyal Sprint customer" to the end, and send it to us; text, email, snail mail, anything. C'est la vie. Thanks for the info halcyoncmdr.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat