cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Rumor Reflex does not power on

Journeyman

LG Rumor Reflex does not power on

Just a little over a month ago I purchased an LG Rumor Reflex and it worked very well.  However, recently Sprint pushed down a patch/update for something.  A couple of days ago, I placed it on the charger overnight, but when I attempted to turn it on in the morning there was no power.  I thought maybe it had come out of the surge protector or I'd turned off the surge protector without knowing.  Nope, everything was plugged in and getting power to it.  When I plugged in the phone again, the Rumor Reflex "comment bubble" appeared and the words Rumor Reflex just keep squiggling up (best way to describe that) and reappearing within the bubble.  I cannot turn the phone on, whether it is plugged in or not.  I spoke with an LG tech and tried removing the battery and powering it up without the battery in.  Nothing.  So now, I'm being told that I can either pay Sprint for a new phone or I can mail it back to LG, waiting who knows how long to get another phone.  Plus I'm going to lose all the pictures and videos of my 2 year old .  I am so disappointed.  Why would they push down a patch and destroys the operating system?  Though I have seen so many posts talking about other issues from the operating system, why have they not tested and repaired all these problems?  I have been with Sprint for 10+ years.  I had to fight to upgrade my account without paying hundreds of dollars to get new phones, so I get a phone that is trash?  Is there nothing I can do to save my information on this phone?

28 REPLIES 28
Journeyman

Re: LG Rumor Reflex does not power on

I have the same problem with my Rumor Reflex. Bought this phone over 6 months ago and it's worked wonderfully, no problems, until yesterday when the battery ran low and the phone shut itself off. Normal I thought until I got home, plugged it in, waited til it charged up some and tried to turn it on and got nothing. The screen was spinning with the "reflex" logo and the battery charge bar was flickering green. I waited til the screen said battery charge complete and still the phone won't turn on. Of course it was Thanksgiving eve so no Sprint store I could go to have them check it out. ACK! I am also super disappointed to read that other users are having the same issue and that this is all due to an upgrade? Shouldn't Sprint or LG take care of this for their customers? Fortunately, I have insurance coverage on the phone so I may be able to get another replacement phone although who wants a phone that's unreliable?

Wizard

VALWHITE,

I’m sorry to hear that both of you are having this issue. The best thing to do would be to take the device to a service and repair location to have it looked at. This sounds like something that may be wide spread. As far as the Information on the device, it should be saved to the memory card. Remove the back of the device, on the bottom left corner there should be a slot for the Micro SD card. Push card until it clicks and remove from slot. All of your pictures should be saved to the card.

Sean L

Social Care

Journeyman

Uggh. Exactly the same issue here. Bought the phone a little over a month ago, charged the phone overnight, woke up, and there was no power. I'm now getting the same squiggly Rumor Reflex thing, too. I haven't taken it in yet, and I'm worried about what they'll say. Whatever happened with yours in the end?

Journeyman

I am currently having the same issue. I got my Relex less than a month ago and it was working fine up until the day before yesterday. The battery was half charged (two bars) and the phone was in my car overnight. It wasn't very cold that night (maybe in the 50s-60s). When I went out that morning to get the phone, it wouldnt turn on and was just showing the Rumor reflex squigglely logo. I figured the battery was dead so I plugged it in to charge. After 3 hours of being plugged in, still nothing. It wouldn't turn on, just kept showing the logo. I brought it into the Sprint store yesterday. At first the rep thought it was the battery so he took the battery out of my phone and charged it. Put it back in and still the same. Nothing else was checked, one rep spoke to another who was sitting next to him and she said that she just had someone else with the same issue and that there was nothing to be done, they had to send for a replacement. They refused to offer me any kind of "loner" phone in the meantime so until my new phone comes in I am without a phone yet Im sure Sprint is still billing me! I asked if this was a common issue and would I have to deal with again with the "replacement" Rumor Relflex they were ordering. I was told "no no, the replacement should be fine". Should be!!! I'm not about to pay for a phone that "should be" fine! I asked about changing my phone since I was still within 30 days of upgrading to the Reflex. I was told I couldn't because it had been more than 14 days from the day I upgraded! Seriously?! So now Im left waiting for my replacement phone, being billed for a phone I cannot use in the meantime, and I have no guarantee that this issue wont happen with the replacement. I've been with Sprint for a year and a half and up to this point have been a satisfied customer. Now Im a very frustrated and annoyed customer who is seriously contemplating leaving Sprint altogether!

Journeyman

And Sean, what happens if you dont have a Memory card in the phone? Im having the same powering on issue and a replacement has been ordered. Am I going to lose all the pictures I had on my phone that through no fault of my own just stopped working?

Wizard

mregan80,

Thanks for the post. Sorry to hear you had such a bad time with this device. If you have an old device, we can swap you into it so you have a working device.How long did they say it would take the new device to come in? I know how you feel about the loss of pics from the device. Did you ever sync the device to a computer to back it up? Once you swap the device the pics are pretty much gone. This is the reason the devices have the card slot, so you can have a removable storage. You can attempt to see if the store can move the content from the broke phone into the new device. This may move the pics.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Having the same problem. My phone shut off after losing battery power. I plugged it in and the Rumor Reflex "comment bubble" just stays on the screen. Ironically, my plan is about due for an upgrade. Coincidence? I think not...

Master

MTP27
We are sorry to hear about this. After the battery in a device completely loses power, it can take a while to get the device to come back on. Before attempting to power the phone back on, allow the device to charge for 15-30 minutes. Let us know if this helps.
-Patrick
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I have the same exact problem.  I've been a Sprint customer for more than 11 years.  I have three young children and whenever I buy a phone at Sprint, I just ask the salesperson to show me something durable.  I don't let my children play with my phone - they have toys, and my phone isn't one of them.  However, I do have the kind of life where my phone occasionally falls out of my pocket, crashes on the ground.  So, the salesperson sold me this Rumor Reflex.  I get that Sprint is the carrier and LG is the manufacturer of the phone, but still, it's Sprint who sells the phone.  I think Sprint must take responsibility for the product.

I had the Rumor Reflex for 14 months - just over a year - when it did the same thing described above.  I'd been texting at night, noticed the battery was running low, charged the phone overnight, and then in the morning, it wouldn't stop doing the Rumor Reflex "comment bubble" restart thing.  I brought it to be repaired, but it cost $75 to repair.  This seemed exorbitant and I didn't want to pay for it, especially after reading all the info on the Sprint Community about this phone repeatedly having this problem!  So I found myself at 2 months past the year-long warranty, but 8 months short of qualifying for an upgrade.  Another choice was to buy a new phone through the new Framly program, but that would cost at least $130.  I was so frustrated by my lack of choices and what I took to be poor service, so I called customer service to see what it would cost me to break my contract: $90.  So those are my choices - $75 to repair, $90 to leave, $130 for a new phone and different plan.  I also DON'T WANT TO LOSE my photos and contacts.  What can I do? 

Master

333alice,
Thank you for the post. We'd hate to see you leave. Considering the choices you have, you may want to spend some time backing up your photos to a computer or by emailing them to a personal email address. The contacts can be transferred to the phone you will select. You just have to bring your current phone into the store when making the exchange. As far as the options, making a decision would probably be based on what you think is more feasible. The $75 fee covers for diagnostics, repair and possibly a replacement if needed. It will also allow the phone to be guaranteed for the same issue within 30 days. You can always visit sprint.com for a list of phones that best suit your needs.
Hopefully this helps.

Yannick
Social Care
Journeyman

My wife has now gone through 3 of the rumor reflex phones, each time losing ALL of her contacts because the phone will not completely turn on (just sits on the bubble screen) and so Sprint says they can't retrieve contacts... She uses this phone for personal use as well as business contacts for our small business... This is ridiculous! How many of these phones do we have to go through waiting for her upgrade so we don't spend hundreds on a phone that will actually work??? Surely someone from Sprint can help us expedite this process right? We have 3 lines on our account, spend a fair amount of money, but nobody seems to want to do the right thing and get her an upgrade or at least a phone that will last more than 3 months. very unfortunate. I left our previous carrier for reasons very similar to this and have had good luck with Sprint up until the last year and a half of having this "phone"... SOS Sprint, please step up and help me out on this one!

Thanks,

Kevin Moody

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat