cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Rumor issues/Sprint Attempted Extortion

Journeyman

LG Rumor issues/Sprint Attempted Extortion

My LG Remarq had semi-broken a month before upgrade, was told I would have to pay $60 if I didn't want to wait to upgrade, figured thats just policy and I didn't have the insurance, so whatever, a month, no big deal.  Went in on December 1st, got my upgrade to the LG Rumor Reflex, paid $60 or so dollars and am getting a mail-in rebate, had to pay a $35 activation fee, so I figure it is what it is.  So on December 17th, my phone all of a sudden breaks, starts powering on and off automatically.  Researched the issue, there were about 3,000 of the same issue, all phones breaking right after 14 days.  Printed off the page.  Took my phone and charger to sprint, they did attempt to fix the phone, but after not being able to do so, told me I would have to replace the phone, but I am just outside my warranty plan, so would have to pay an additional $35 warranty fee.  They told me they had seen this before but not very often, and it could be a software issue or an issue with an update.  So I took out the report and showed them and explained if this is a knowingly defective product, they can't make me pay for anything and have to replace it for free, by law.  They argued with me a bit saying if I had the insurance I wouldn't have to pay for repairs.  So I have to pay for repairs on an originally faulty product?  Eventually one employee, don't know if it was the manager or not, said he would take care of it and replace the phone for free, but I would imagine he was going against policy.  I am glad he took care of it, but I am afraid to go in should I ever have faulty issues again.  I wound up adding the insurance just in case.  Insurance is supposed to protect against wear and tear, dropping the phone, and me breaking the phone, not known factory issues, right?

3 REPLIES 3
Sprint Employee

Re: LG Rumor issues/Sprint Attempted Extortion

Hello mattsufan, They should have also made you aware that the phone does have a one year warranty provided by the manufacturer. The $35 fee in store for repair/replacement if you do not have TEP, or ESRP (protection plans that offer in store service) is more of a convenience fee if you would prefer to deal with us, instead of the phone's manufacturer.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

That is good to know for the future, however I was not in the least made aware of that and at first was told if I need to replace it I have to pay $35 and it was quote, "the only way they could replace it", not mentioning anything about the manufacturer warranty.  I suppose I could have intently read the manuals that came in the original box for that, though.  I appreciate the feedback.

Wizard

rarely does someone go through manufacturer. Few reps want to risk further inflaming a customer by telling them 'you could send it to the manufacturer and be without it for 2 weeks'. most people don't care to hear that.

TEP is 2 parts. First, service and repair of the device $0. Second, loss/theft/liquid damage/damage beyond repair $50 to $200 varying deductible depending on device.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat