cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return of Email H*** (AGAIN) and More

Highlighted
Journeyman

Return of Email H*** (AGAIN) and More

So it's been 4 months since I last posted.  Did you really think my problems were over and done with?  HA!  Not hardly.

My email on the phone has failed for the umpteenth time. Tried refreshing the data without deleting the accounts (there is a way to do that) and no joy.  Deleted the email accounts and then attempted to re-add them.  Success with MSN.  No joy with Gmail.  I even changed the password via my PC and then attempted to add it back to the phone.  Nope, won't do it.  Says the User ID or Password is incorrect.  I wrote both down so I call  BS!!!  My most important email account and I can't get to it via the phone.  Lovely.

Touch screen is getting hard to work with, not always responsive.  Texts don't arrive on time consistently.  It can take days (literally) or hours.  I never know.  Phone rings, or doesn't, when voice calls come in.  Voicemail notification comes in shortly after the voicemail is left, or not.  No idea what is up with any of that.

Bottom line is the phone is becoming more unreliable.  Raising a ruckus here serves no purpose, but I feel compelled to document my efforts.  It doesn't help that SPRINT's way of dealing with snailmail complaints is to 1) direct the letters to Billing (as if they had a clue), 2) willfully ignore what you actually wrote in the letter (you get a phone call and when you call back no one knows nothing), and 3) send you to the Tech Support people despite what you wrote in your letter (see #1).  And if the phone is acting up the response is to go to a service center, which may (or not) be able to come up with a solution other than a hard reset.  SPRINT really doesn't give a fig.  It doesn't help that over the summer I spoke in person with an LG tech at a local Verizon showroom about my issues with the Reflex and what has been raised here.  Clueless pretty much sums up his reaction/response.

February is the earliest I can upgrade, the contract ends in May.  I don't know if the February upgrade date means there is no termination fee if I bail.  I will have to investigate.  The phone is not 2 years old and it is definitely falling apart, so to speak.  The cell phone maps I am seeing suggest that Verizon actually is way ahead of SPRINT in the 4G universe even though it will cost me more if I switch contracts.  Alternatively, it may be time to find an off brand with a low price and access to one of the major networks.  At least if I wind up with a POS phone  and/or POS service I won't feel as though I am being ripped off.  Right now 'ripped off' is as kind a description as I can give. 

27 REPLIES 27
Master

Re: Return of Email H*** (AGAIN) and More

Khuten, 

Whoa, I’m very sorry to see that you feel this way and that you are experiencing service issues. We understand how vital cellular service is and how frustrating interruptions in service can be. Rest assured we are here to help. Where do you experience these issues? If you can, please provide the zip code and closest intersecting cross streets of where you have these issues. With that information I can pinpoint the main towers you work off of and see if there is anything impacting your service. Just to clarify, are you currently working with the LG Rumor Reflex? Have you been to one of our Sprint service and repair centers to address the touch screen and email issues? Please let me know, I look forward to your response.

Charles G. 

Sprint Social Care Team 

Journeyman

Yes I am using an LG Rumor Reflex, which I acquired from SPRINT in May 2012.

According to SPRINT's maps my area of Chicago is positively saturated with cell towers.  It doesn't matter.  I know for a fact that service sucks between Foster/Sheridan and Broadway/Sheridan.  It's been like that since I got this phone in May 2012.  I have come to terms with the fact that this phone will either time out or lose connection while I am in that zone.

As for the rest of the time - I live near the intersection of Sheridan and Birchwood in zip 60626 however I do spend time downtown around Michigan and Wacker.  My friends have accepted that the phone behaves erratically and is unreliable.  If they call me they will follow up with an email if they get to voicemail.  Oh yeah, there are times when the phone rings on their end but not mine, or maybe it does, and if I don't answer Voicemail doesn't always kick in.  I have a friend on the Verizon network (moving to Virgin no contract service) who is always surprised when Voicemail actually kicks in and she can leave a message.  Yesterday I was up at Paulina/Howard and the phone rang.  I couldn't reach it in time to answer and it was not one of my Contacts.  15 minutes later it sounds off with my Voicemail notification.  I have no idea why it took 15 minutes for Voicemail to notify me there was a message, but that is far better than 30 minutes or more, which I have also experienced.

And this is ongoing despite SPRINT's announcement about a much improved network in Chicago.  http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-turns-up-the-volume-on-3g-and-4g-lte-in-chicago.htm  I don't know who is benefiting from that 'improvement' but I promise you I am not.  It's been a month since the announcement and I have seen absolutely nothing suggesting a change in my phone's interaction with the network.

Regarding the email; I finally got the Gmail account added back in.  As for going to the service center regarding email, I did that 4 months ago.  The service center was useless.  They said it was a known issue and I had to delete and re-add the accounts.  On a second visit they did a hard reset.

Sooooooo.....I will be checking out Android Central and other review sites before committing to a contract with any of the carriers.  I did the math, it's been at least 20 years I have been a SPRINT customer and for the first time I am not convinced I should stay.

Journeyman

So of course email H.E.Double Hockey Sticks would not be complete without the phone power cycling (rebooting) itself when I try to access the email.

This started an hour ago after I turned the phone back on as I was leaving a movie theater.  Two notifications came in at the same time, one for new email and one for voicemail.  That's when the 'fun' began.  Tried pulling the battery during the recycling sequence, tried pulling the battery after the phone was on and been sitting.  No help.  I can go to FB, I can get on the web, I can listen to Voicemail, I can make calls, but I can't access email without it recycling.

Will be looking at the directions for phone reset and anything else that might save me a trip to the service center so they can do a hard reset to factory defaults.  That would be the 2nd time this year.

Master

Khuten,

Thanks for the replies.  I have taken a look at the coverage in the areas that 

you have outlined and I am seeing service ticket # 2163949 that is affecting 60053, 60077, 60625, 60630, 60631, 60646, 60656, 60659, 60712 and 60714.  This afflicted tower is showing that service levels in these areas are affecting the strength of the transmission signal.  If you send a text do you ever get error code numbers?  If so, what messages do you get?

I'd like to review the local network first and then jump in to possible device issues that you may also be experiencing Thank you.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care Team

Michael C.

Journeyman

Error code messages?  I am working hard not to paraphrase the famous quote from Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

I don't get error code messages.  If this is about the texting issue; no there are no error codes.  They just show up when they show up, anytime, anywhere.

If you want to spend your time pounding on the network, go right ahead.  I live in 60626 and your ticket doesn't show that zip code as being affected.

Master

Khuten,

Thanks for the update on the situation. I am not seeing any outages in your area and many upgrades have been completed. From what I have read this definitely sounds like a device issue. I know this is not what you want to hear but a service store is your best bet to get this taken care of. They have the ability to diagnose the device whirl it is in hand.

Sean L

Social Care

Wizard

as far as email hell, you are talking about the Sprint Mobile Email app right?

Journeyman

uh, this is a feature phone.  It allows me to set up email for Yahoo, Gmail and MSN.  Sooooo.....what app exactly are you talking about?

Journeyman

And I can tell you EXACTLY what I will be told, because I was told this 4 months ago when the problem occurred then....had you bothered to read earlier threads that I opened......

I am facing a hard reset to factory settings.  The only advantage to having a SPRINT store do the work is that they can save my Contacts file.  If I do a phone reset by myself I will lose my Contacts info.

Your answer is just one more nail in the Rumor Reflex coffin, but SPRINT will continue to market the device as long as they can.

Master

Khuten, 

Thank you for your response. How long have you had this device? Did you ever have the device replaced because of the e-mail issues and late notifications? When are you upgrade eligible?   You can find out by texting the word upgrade to 1311 and get a free text with your upgrade date.   Please let us know. 

Thank you, 

Anthony 

Social Care Team

Journeyman

Anthony

1 - The device was acquired in May 2012

2 - It has never been replaced and my written correspondence to the KS HQ were singularly unproductive for multiple reasons having to do with SPRINT's process for handling snail mail complaints.  Not exactly the high point of SPRINT's customer service.

3 - My earliest upgrade opportunity is 2/1/2014 according to what I see when I am on the SPRINT site looking at my account.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat