cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen light turns off while attempting to call or text

Journeyman

Screen light turns off while attempting to call or text

Has anyone experienced this?  I just bought the phone a few months ago and it's already doing strange things, and I didn't buy the protection plan!  Please give me advice on what to do if you have had this happen to you and you had it fixed.  Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Wizard

Re: Screen light turns off while attempting to call or text

I have checked the Rumor Reflex and found that there are no known issues with the screen going black while making a call or texting. In this case you would need to take your phone into a Sprint service and repair center to have them look at the phone. If you would like I can submit a ticket to a local store to let them know what is going on with your phone. Please let me know if you want the ticket submitted by sending me a private message with your phone number.

*Stephanie

Journeyman

I have taken my phone (an LG Rumor Reflex) into a Sprint service and repair center -- SHORTLY after I first bought it, but after my wife had been using the same kind of phone for months -- to have them deal with a question that was VERY SIMILAR to this.

They told me TONS of things that were not relevant or not helpful... but eventually, they did tell me at least ONE THING that was helpful:  they told me the following "trick":

[1]  By sliding the phone (an LG Rumor Reflex) open -- to expose the QWERTY keyboard -- it somehow achieves the goal of "unlocking" the phone.  (that is, -- I think -- the "touch screen" part of the phone.)  It remembers this (and stays unlocked for a while), -- and I think it stays unlocked for "some" amount of time, even if you slide the phone closed -- to hide the QWERTY keyboard -- right after sliding the phone open.

This (the "trick" number [1] above) is very useful, because the *other* methods of achieving that goal ("unlocking" the phone) tend to require one to do something USING the "touch screen" part of the phone, and that might be difficult (if the
screen has become blank, or has become "dimmer" [less bright], OR it might even be impossible [
if the "touch screen" part of the phone has become "LOCKED" in some way]).

Those *other* methods of achieving that goal ("unlocking" the phone) might EXCLUDE some that I do not know about, -- [that is, some methods which do NOT involve USING the "touch screen" part of the phone] -- but I have owned this phone for over 2 years, so if there is some basic info that I do not know, then I think LG and/or Sprint (maybe both) failed to do a good job of explaining some stuff.

You see, this phone has some habits (which can be annoying, especially until you get used to them) (and, until you memorize "trick" number [1] above), such as: 

[2a] sometimes the screen will become blank, or become "dimmer" (less bright) (probably to conserve battery power);

[2b] sometimes the screen will become "locked", which means that, until you "unlock" it, it will IGNORE any commands that you try to enter, using the "touch screen" part of the phone.

Anyway, I have been able to achieve that goal ("unlocking" the phone) any time I want to, now that I learned about "trick" number [1], above.  Maybe there are some other commands that, if I knew them, would have enabled me to survive (and to use this phone successfully) without using "trick" number [1];  but I can't help with those.  I can only help, by recommending that you learn (and memorize) (and use)  "trick" number [1]. 

Mike Schwartz
schwartz@acm.org
Glendale  AZ  USA

Highlighted
Journeyman

Regarding the rumor. I have had troubles with it just going blank as well. Until today, I thought the only solution was to turn the hone off, then back on. I will definitely try sliding to show keyboard then sliding the cover back. However, I don't think I should have to do anything. Given the cost of the phone, it should be of quality that we can depend on. Just my thoughts. Thanks for letting me share.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat