cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Overheating/Charging Issues

Journeyman

Battery Overheating/Charging Issues

I bought this Viper 2 days ago. Right after I bought the phone and put it on the charger about a half and hour later the phone showed battery overheating, please disconnect charger. I took the phone back to sprint yesterday and got another Viper only to have the same exact problem. They replaced the headset, home charger and car charger. I plan to take the phone back tomorrow and cancel my service with Sprint. But, I was just curious is anyone else having problems like this with this phone?

10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Re: Battery Overheating/Charging Issues

my lg viper has over heated a lot too. i done had to get another one 3x. on july 7th that morning my phone over heated and burnt the crap out of my fingers and the phone wasnt on charge nor even turned on.

Journeyman

oh i also forgot to mention my fiance mom has the lg viper too and hers over heats she just yesterday had to replace it

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have noticed overheating when connected to my PC via USB... not so much on the wall charger.  I have not gotten the over-heating warning, but I also have not had it connected in this manner for an extended time.  I am concerned that this could affect the battery life.  Hopefully this is on the short list of things to investigate for LG and Sprint.

Journeyman

i also have just gotten a viper and have notice that the battery gets so hot i cannot hold the phone and I am not charging it or even using it.  I was told to go to settings that something i had on my phone is using the battery. so i stopped everything and it still happens. i sure hope sprint is looking into this issue.

Journeyman

I'm also dealing with this issue , downloaded a battery monitoring APP , noticed it got up to 120 degrees F. Even had popup alerts stating Phone is overheating, please replace USB charger...will definitely be looking into getting this fixed/replaced ASAP, as well as purchasing an extended battery.

Journeyman

i have the similar issues its only happend about 3 times since ive had the POS but its only one of the many issues ive had.... i noticed it was when my phone was left in the truck on the charger or in my house on the counter when in direct sunlight, i know what ur thinking "ofcourse idiot dont leave it in the sun but ive never had that kind of prob. with any of my previous smartphones and i put those through  H e l l really hope sprint and lg get it together soon since im now stuck with these bamboos

Journeyman

I have had this issue since day 1. It finally got to the point that the phone would not charge past 4% and if unplugged would immediately drop to 2% then shut off. I returned to the sprint store on the 16th day of owning the phone and they were happy to tell me that they would have replaced it if I had come in within 14 days. They did test the battery and confirmed that it was indeed bad. Also that they could sell me a new battery for $30 or if I had taken advantage of the insurance program I could pay the deductable and have it replaced. At this point I was seriously contemplating punching someone in the mouth.

I contacted LG and filed a warrenty claim. They offered to replace the phone, however I would have to send it to them and wait for another in the mail. 2-6 weeks without my phone and being a new sprint customer I have no backup. On my family plan I have 3 of these phones and only 1 does exhibit this problem.

Go on ebay or check out a batteries plus and look for replacement battery bl-44js for the Viper or the Lucid 4G since they use the same battery. You can get extra batteries and a wall charger for a few dollars, so you can always have a freash battery with you if needed.

Journeyman

We shouldn't have to deal with it though, it sucks, i already got mine replaced at the sprint repair store, yes i had to lay out $50, i was credited back the $50, and the REPLACEMENT, is having same exact overheating issue to the point where it automatically turns off. My girlfriend had just ordered the same phone a few weeks ago, hers has no issues....so, again i amtold to go to repair center, I wish LG did their manufacturer warranty replacements the old way, send a new phone w. packaging to send old back, and if you don't send the old one back, they charge you full price. Simple...nobody wants to wait 3 weeks w/outa phone!.

Journeyman

I have had my LG Viper for about 6 months, it is now overheating (when NOT charging) - do I need a new battery?  Is that what everyone had to do?

Journeyman

Well I encountered a new thermal problem today.  I reported before that the phone got excessively hot while charging from the USB connection.  Today I downloaded Stitcher and was using the phone to listen to a podcast.  The phone was uncomfortably hot in my pocket.  After about 30 minutes, it indicated the connection had failed and the podcast stopped.  I have to wonder if that was also heat related.  Charging  is one thing, but getting hot enough to burn during operation is another.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat