Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jelly Bean for Viper?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Jelly Bean for Viper?

Good evening,

I know that our Viper just got ICS in December (or there about). I was wondering if Sprint / LG had any plans to upgrade this phone to Jelly Bean? It is a good phone, and has probably one good OS upgrade left in it.

Please Sprint, don't leave us hanging. 

Tags (5)
3 REPLIES 3
Wizard

Re: Jelly Bean for Viper?

Thanks for reaching out to us. Sorry, but at this time we do not have any information regarding a Jelly Bean update for the LG Viper. Whether or not a Jelly Bean update will be released for the Viper, will be determined by the manufacture LG. If they do decide to release a Jelly Bean update for the LG Viper, we will announce it on both our Sprint community page and our Newsroom at http://newsroom.sprint.com/.

Have a good weekend.

Morris L.

Sprint Social Media Care

Journeyman

LG Customer Care wrote:

03/15/2013

Thank you for contacting LG Electronics.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Phone Operating System updates are developed by both manufacturer (LG) and the carrier. As this is handled in a company-level, we do not have access to detailed information such as the estimated date of release of the update. We receive notification of the updates once they have been already tested and are available to download from end users.

As the software that runs on the phone actually belongs to the carrier due to agreements between carrier and LG, there is no way we can develop the software if the carrier has not requested it to be developed. As well there is no way to guarantee that once started, the software update will be released to end users, as it is possible that due from many factors they decide not to release the end product (software)

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again either via email, or by calling our customer service division at 800-243-0000 at your convenience.

Email Department

Customer Interactive Center

LGEAI

So.... who makes the call to start any update for our phones?

Journeyman

I agree with you Luksfamily, this is a phone with lots of potential left, (it's barely released a year ago), and needs to have the latest software.  I contacted the LG manufacture several times and it is DEFINATELY Sprint that makes the call.  From what I understood Sprint provides some of the preparatory software that needs to be implemented in the new Jellybean OS, LG only provides the hardware and the barebones OS.  Since they already gave you a general answer that no information is available at this time, chances are that they do not intend to bring the updated OS to the LG LS840 Viper, in addition the customer base with this particular phone is probably not cost effective for them to implement either.  If this comment gets deleted, then indeed that is the case, either way word will get out because a copy of this thread will be posted on many other forums if it is removed from here.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat