No. I never figured out the cause on my first one, and my 2nd has done it too. It might or might not have to do with the fact that 2 radio chips are active at once with this phone.
The fix is, get a new one, It should never overheat to the extremes mine has...I already got it replaced once, now im waiting on my 2nd replacement....I noticed alot of the overheating occurs when the GPS radio is activated....but 139 degress F...is dangerous...not just a lil overheating lol...
I thought I was going the be lucky and never have to experience the overheating issue, but today for the first time, my phone got very hot. I can tell you that it occurred after I had used the navigation. I make it a point the exit the navigation program and turn the GPS off in order the conserve as much battery as I can. Today, I was in a hurry and left the navigation program running and the GPS receiver on. It was in this state for a few hours before I checked it and felt how hot it had become. At this point, I suspect not only was the GPS receiver on and searching for a signal (because I was indoors), but also the wifi antenna was surely active as wifi hot spots where available, but I had yet to sign into one. As well the standard phone antenna was active like it normally is and undoubtedly using more juice searching for a signal indoors. So, I think all 3 of these radios going at once caused enough power drain to cause the battery to get pretty hot - which is not healthy for the battery or the components that are experiencing this temperature.
I haven't done much research into the issue yet. But, the battery should never get this hot. It was almost hot enough to burn the skin and with prolonged exposure very well could. I'll post here if I get any more information. Just wanted to share my experience with the community.
Between the two Vipers on our account , we've had SIX replacements already, they overheat terribly and battery life is horrid, im quite shocked. Always had a pleasant experience with Sprint, I feel LG failed with this phone and sprint didn't know what they were getting into.
I have the same problem, and they told me it was just my phone. It's gets really hot to the touch. This LG phone is a complete FAILURE. Sprint, replace my phone!
Bad Bad phone and customer service. Never purchase again. Dangerous phone!
I've been really patient with this phone but now it's getting frustrating as hell. Bad battery than I bought a new one but still drains way too fast... Overheating is horrible... Burns to the touch... Sprint says go to LG,LG says send it in but you won't get a replacement device... I just want a different phone.. This whole waiting till the end of 2014 for an upgrade is stupid. I don't qualify for their one up program and I am considering just giving up and going back to T-Mobile because their customer service was always considerate and there for me with problems of any kind with my phones... Here they just go to this lame process of turning every service off on your phone to save battery... What am I getting an all feature phone for if I have to turn everything off??
This LG Viper 4G LTE is a horrible device and I don't recommend it to anyone...