cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viper to get Android 4.0 (ICS)?

Go to solution
Journeyman

Viper to get Android 4.0 (ICS)?

Any word on when the Viper will get an upgrade from 2.3 Gingerbread to 4.0 ICS?

34 REPLIES 34
Wizard

Re: Viper to get Android 4.0 (ICS)?

Hi,

Thank you for your question. At this time we cannot speculate if your android based device will be upgraded to that version. Just to let you know when there is a new update your phone will notify you.

----George

Journeyman

Whoa!!!??? You mean to tell me this device has NOT been confirmed for the update to ICS? I purchased this device on the gaurantee that it would be updated to ICS before year end.  This is Unacceptable & unless I get a confirmation otherwise from Sprint, you will be losing a customer due to this blatent dishonesty.

Journeyman

I just bought my phone today, and was told by 3 diffrent Sprint reps at corporate stores, and 2 best buy reps that it would be getting ICS. IF YOUR GOING TO LIE TO PEOPLE EXPECT TO FIND YOUR COMANY WITHOUT CUSTOMERS. I will take my 3 lines to Verizon or AT&T if this turns out to be true. I'm getting tired of the lies from Sprint.

Journeyman

I bought mine 2 weeks ago and love it, I contacted LG and I was told by them that 3rd Quarter should be its release date for ICS.

Journeyman

Who decides whether a device gets an update to its operating system - the carrier (Sprint) or the manufacturer (LG)?  Is it the case that the carrier has to see if the manufacturer's device will support an update based on the device's hardware compatibility?  If that is the case, it would explain why the customer can't seem to get the same answer depending on who they talk to.  I'm willing to give Sprint the benefit of the doubt here in that they do not know one way or the other if the device will support the update.  I would expect Sprint to keep their customers regularly informed since this is such an important issue for some. 

Personally, I've just signed up with Sprint coming from AT&T.  I can tell you so far that the level of customer service from Sprint far surpasses that of AT&T - one of the main reasons I left AT&T.  I was a customer of theirs for many years, but I lost patience with their slowly degrading customer service and constant biling issues bordering on the line of fraud. 

So far I'm pretty happy with the Viper.  I would be interested to know if the new OS, ICS, will be in its future (not critical for me right now) and when this new LG software update that is due out will finally be pushed to my phone.  Come on Sprint, you can do it.  Regular communications is key to your customers.  Even if you don't have all the answers yet.  Customers are more at ease when they don't feel ignored, you show them you are actively working for them, and you keep them regularly informed.  I'm hopeful my experiences here will be better than AT&T.  So far, so good.

Journeyman

Viper will get ICS, all LG smartphones produced in 2012 are slated to get the update per LG, By the way LG releases the updated OS to Sprint and then Sprint as does other carriers do there stuff then push to the devices.

I wouldnt be surprised to see some J.B. on this device someday.

Journeyman

I was on LG's site this morning, and this is what LG Chat agent Michelle had to say regarding the update to ICS:

At this moment we haven’t received any notification or any details from Google, Android OS for the ICS software update.

According to what they state; they are currently working on different updates for the different cell phones, it could be a possibility that we would obtain the ICS software for this device, but we do not have any information at this time.

I am sorry for the inconvenience this must have caused.

We are still waiting for the update to be released, but we don't have any details yet.

Journeyman

If it doesn't get ICS, this will be the last LG phone I'm ever dumb enough to purchase.

Highlighted
Journeyman

LG Viper 4G LTE is a go for Android 4.0.4 . The new update is LS840ZVG. So when you guys and girls see a system update and it has LS840ZVG that is Ice Cream Sandwich. It looks like the specs are showing Android 4.0 If you purchase one today. It not been officially posted from Sprint when the updates will be pushed out OTA. However If you go too actual Sprint Store they are sources saying they will be more than happy too install android 4.0.4. Everything is in place folks just need sprint and lg agree too turn on the server and start the OTA.

Journeyman

sup tommy lol. I am so shocked that if you browse sprints shop area, it shows the viper as running 4.0 even states" Why this phone rocks: Something like, With the blazing fast speed of 4g lte ( which i never seen ) plus Android ICS, your phone will fly"....yet if someone reads that, orders the phone, opens it up, they are going to be very upset....idk how they dont even like write pending update next to it....

Master

n0ve thank you for posting this information I have sent up to get it corrected

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat