cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viper to get Android 4.0 (ICS)?

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Viper to get Android 4.0 (ICS)?

Thanks, I let customer service know as well.

Journeyman

Definiately coming soon though, LG's open source website shows the Viper ZVG update.

Journeyman

I appreciate correcting it, but at the same time im a bit frustrated...I was on the phone w/ tech support for hours explaining this, and im just told by supervisors oh im wrong, this and that, when i believe honestly without that being removed, you would have dealt with a LOT of complaints on new orders, so yes i appreciate you having it corrected, but what concerns me is the straight fact that it was there, and I'm told over the phone that IM wrong...meanwhile on top of it all, ive already had my handset replaced, and this one is overheating too, and im told all i can do is go back to the repair center again? phone reached 140 degrees in my sons hands playing a game, i dont want this thing anymore, not vanity, safety, yet...I get told IM wrong, i get told i cannot exchange for a similar device, and no type of compensation for maybe helping avoid potential issues/refunds/complaints about the way it was advertised? Correct me if im wrong but i do speak my mind freely and I managed a 3rd party sprint retail store for a  while so It was sincere about trying to avoid potential issues, So anyway just wanted to get that out. Thanks.

Journeyman

Absolutely correct, teh open source is out, but LG phones arent officially google supported (I was informed by an extremely advanced java / android expert), basically LG has to make their firmware's in a much more complex way, therefore making updates i'd assume a bit longer to push, and im assuming this may effect the delay in getting it from Sprint's hands to our hands. (drivers, cpu/gpu, etc)....And yes the specs on this device I wouldnt see why JB isnt in the future. What is strange is why they originally started out with GB yet spec wise, GB just to name ONE downside , does not handle ram as well as ICS, and we have a nice amount of ram, a very nice GPU, which can't run to its capacity if the ram isnt managed properly, therefore ICS and or JB would cause quite noticeable speeed/reliability boost to the handset. + more.

Journeyman

According to LG's open source website, the ICS has been released and can be downloaded here:

http://www.lg.com/global/support/opensource/opensource-detail.jsp

LG Software update.JPG

Journeyman

Yes LG did release open source but sprint still needs to take that open source and compile it into an update. If you were to try and load that firmware to your phone as open source, a- it will not function properbly, b- you will void your warranty by the means you would have to go through to even attempt such. The fact LG has released the open source is just a sign of good news that sprint can now ( at their own pace ), get this update compiled/sent OTA to our phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I heard it was getting ICS on October 25th. I hope so and also hope this update fixes my phone. I rooted it and tried installing roms. And now it's bricked. Hopefully update fixes it. I like android cause installing roms and playing with the phones is fun, but when they break,it sucks. I don't care about warranty got a backup phone for now. And can get another one cheap online or craigslist. Android is way more customiziable then iphone. And way more support but there are so many types of android devices it's hard to find fixes. Iphones only have like 5 devices now,android has about over 20+ ...

Either way I'm staying with sprint, it sucks they downgraded but soon 4g lte will be unleased everywhere or almost everywhere.  Just have to be patient,and when sprint does get 4g here it's better than cricket which started throttling and att and verizon share everything go over charge a lot,and Tmobile thottling. I hope sprint buys out metro pcs. I read they were. I was a cricket customer a long time but switched to sprint cause No data cap or throttling. 

Journeyman

Check LG open source site now,  we have 2 seperate ICS open source files, ZVG and now ZVH......who knows when we will get a release

Journeyman

If you follow the sequence, our phone has been updating, the current build contains ZVG. Now, that open source is for 4.0.4 vs 4.0 (ZVG), but, the ORIGINAL first posted source code was for 4.0.4, but pulled right away. This means to me at least, especially since Sprint had our phone advertised as RUNNING 4.0, then took it down, they basically went w/ 4.0.4....Now that LG released 4.0.4 again + kernel, sprint must compile, drivers, gapps, etc....and we'll have an update within a few weeks id probably put money on it but im not a gambler. For now, enjoy the phone =).

Journeyman

n0ve i sent u am pm

Journeyman

So...any more news? is the update happening today? or tomorrow? or ever?

Journeyman

Well its the 25th! Heard any good stories lately?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat