cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI Connection Issue

Journeyman

WIFI Connection Issue

Jyst got my Viper two days ago.  Set it up to use my home wifi network for increased speed.  First day it worked just fine, when I was home it used the wifi when I left it used 3g.  However, now it shows both the wifi icon and the 3g icon, the wifi icon shows no signal (not green) the 3g icon is green.  When I try to use data the 3g icon shows usage.  To use wifi I have to turn off the data network, then it uses the wifi connect but still shlws no signal.  If I restart the phone the wifi icon turns green and stays that way until I turn on the data network.  Then both icons are back with wifi showing no connection.  I have oulled the battery, uninstalled apps I added, tried everything except a data reset (which I would like to avoid). Does anyone know how to fix this? A tech maybe?

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Journeyman

Re: WIFI Connection Issue

Try checking your phone's wifi settings first:

• Tap the Menu softkey (right next to the Home softkey) on your phone.
  • Tap Settings.
  • Tap Wireless & networks.
  • Tap Wi-Fi settings.
  • Under Wi-Fi, does it say: "Connected to <wi-fi network>"  where <wi-fi network> is the name of your (or someone else's) wireless network?  There should also be a green checkmark in the checkbox to the right.
  • Under Wi-Fi networks on the same screen, is there more than one network listed?  Your network should be listed.  It should say Connected, and, if you have your network password protected, a small lock should appear over the wi-fi icon.

My suspcion is that you need to reconnect to your home network.  To do so:

• Under Wi-Fi networks tap on your wireless network.  (It would be helpful if your network had a name you recognized if it is near other networks in your neighborhood.) 
  • Enter the password for your wireless network.  Your phone should remember this network and password the next time you are in range.

Good luck.  Hope it works out.

Regards,

- MikeKLGViper

Journeyman

Re: WIFI Connection Issue

Sounds like a router issue, as if the router is recognizing your device and connecting, but the DHCP server isnt properly reserving an IP address for the phone. Similar to when you connect to a wifi network on a pc and you get the " Local Only " Error. Personally my home router is a bit defective when it comes to DHCP/DNS, therefore I have to use static IP, which fixes this issue totally, and might help you as well. Under Wifi Settings on the phone, go to advanced, check the box for use static ip. NOW (depending on your brand of router...the router gateway is either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.0 (more commonly 192.168.0.1). Therefore choose an IP between 001-255 (but stay low), ie 192.168.0.109 (make sure its not an IP being used by other devices on your network. Then for gateway you put 192.168.0.1 . Netmask should automatically show up as 255.255.255.0 which is correct, and then under DNS server, put same as gateway: 192.168.0.1 (Only DNS 1 must be filled out, not DNS 2). Hope this helps...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat