Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Quick Look at LG V20’s HD Audio Recorder - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

HD_Audio.jpg

So one thing that stood out to me on the LG V20 is a few of the new (or better refined) tools available.  There’s many I could talk about and each are quite impressive on their own.  However, the one that really have intrigued me on the V20 is LG HD Audio Recorder.

Now first of all, I take music and audio very seriously. It’s not my profession by any means, but I play bass guitar, have many friends in bands and generally favor always having the ability to capture and archive audio samples.  This is kinda like an author having a notepad by their bed to quickly write down ideas.  Anyways, very useful (at least for me).

Over the years, there have been many ways to capture sound like this.  First was a plain Jane tape recorder, with poor quality.  Later, you could go DAT (Digital Audio Tape) or MD (Sony Minidisc) but both were costly recorders and costly media.  Recently, digital recorders started turning up but even then the interface and settings were pretty limited on budget models, recording durations were brief due to limited storage capacity and overall, you were still trapped into a pattern of compromising features and quality to save cost.

Well times have changed and what smart phones have done for the digital camera, pocket TV and MP3 Player, they have also done for audio recorders.

Enter the LG HD Audio Recorder:

This is probably the most innovative thing I’ve seen in a while and happy to see LG tackle this with the attention it has with so much other integration.  To be surel, the HD Audio Recorder is simple for those who need it simple and open for people seeking a little more control.  You get use of all three high AOP microphones in the mix to capture recordings in the utmost detail and clarity.

Here’s the Modes:

First you have “Normal” and it’s just like the name suggests, Plain jane.  Perfect for dictations and general voice recording. Duration time is long and you have very few options.  You basically can change your storage location and if you want to enable auto-gain.  Auto-gain  is kind of a method of compression, to keep load sounds softer and soft sounds louder. Keeping a level volume across the recording.

normal.jpgSettings2.jpg

Your second setting is “Concert”.  LG pretty much locks you into recommended settings for Gain, LCF (Low Cut Filter) and LMT (Limiter).  You do have some flexibility however and can change storage location, Stereo/Mono, File Output, Bit Depth and Sampling Rate (with default being 24/96Khz).  This is pretty much a nice “Turn-Key” setting for most like performances.

concert.jpgSettings1.jpg

Your last option is “Custom” setting where you have full control of the Gain, LCF (Low Cut Filter) and LMT (Limiter).  This can be helpful where the “Concert” setting is a little jumpy and still redlining on occasion. (You would see that on the visual meter).  Here you can compress the recording and/or adjust gain to preserve dynamic audio recordings. 

custom_.jpgSettings1.jpg

The HD Audio Recorder is pretty impressive, especially for a phone.  Will it render the best high-end digital recorders obsolete?  Probably not (due to the fact that tiny mics are only so good) but for its size, control and convenience you simply can’t deny having a little quality audio recorder on hand is pretty sweet. We all love toys and LG does a great job throwing a lot of these into each release.  Can you think of any interesting ways where this recorder would be awesome? I know I can.

Do yourself a favor and give it a try when you pick up your LG V20.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

Tags (2)
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat