cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bring my own G6

Go to solution
Journeyman

Bring my own G6

I'm considering buying a factory unlocked US version of the G6 (model # LGUS997) and would like to use it to replace my existing Sprint phone. I've long away fulfilled all my Sprint contractual requirements and don't wish to extend or change my current services. As Sprint sells a locked version of the G6 I expected to see the unlocked version included in their BYOP devices list but it isn't and when I inquired with multiple customer service reps they wouldn't/couldn't confirm the phone would work on Sprint; advising me I'd need to bring it to a Sprint store so they could check. I'd made it clear that I hadn't purchased the phone as I wanted to confirm I could use it on my existing account before buying it.

Are any of you Sprint LG Community members using a factory unlocked version? What is the proper way to get it set up ... one rep said call customer services, another said it could only be done thru the stores and neither could confirm the cost or availability of Sprint SIM for the G6. At this point, I politely pointed out there must be a SIM or Sprint couldn't activate the G6s it was selling but neither rep agreed with my conclusion! What is the point of Sprint advertising to Bring Your Own Phone if they aren't going to train their staff how to handle these situations?

Any help from the Community, even if just directing me to someone at Sprint who can answer my questions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16
Community Manager

Re: Bring my own G6

If the phone is factory unlocked, you _should_ be able to activate it.  Unfortunately, I can't 100% confirm it'll work either because it's not part of the list of ready- BYOD devices.

You may have to have a ticket submitted to have the IMEI loaded into the Sprint system and, as you pointed out, a SIM.  For supported devices, those SIMs are free but I'm sorry I don't know if a device that's not on the list would also be free. As it's a holiday weekend my go-to ask person isn't available at the moment.  I can certainly check into it and get back to you.

@Dj_Damjano  would you have any helpful hints or info?

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

Seawolf:

Thanks for the response ... and yes, I'd appreciate you asking your contact; any information you can provide will be valuable.

As I mentioned in my original post it seems logical, to me, to assume that the SIM Sprint is using in the G6s they sell would be what I'd need also. I've been trying to get a better understanding of the specific steps I'll need to take with Sprint for a BYOP situation and find it frustrating that Sprint reps don't seem to know this info. I'm just trying to be as prepared as possible so that I can make this transition smoothly.

Master

You will need to have an unlocked phone that has the CDMA bands in it too.
If you purchase a Sprint G6 that is factory unlocked, you are good to go.
The issue is because Sprint does not have VoLTE so you have to use CDMA bands for voice.
I would strongly suggest to look for an unlocked Sprint G6. It is cheaper and you will have less headaches.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

Thanks for your response but I'm confused by it.... if I were to purchase a "Sprint G6" it would be by it's very nature "locked" to the Sprint network wouldn't it? How & where could I buy a Sprint G6 that is already "factory" unlocked?

I'm a novice when it comes to unlocked phones so I've been doing all my research and shopping directly at the manufacturers' websites, especially since I want to buy a US version (not a gray market device that has no warranty.) According to LG's website, the model (US997) is a "universal factory unlocked phone with CDMA & GSM bands." LG says the phone will work on AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon & Sprint as well as MVNOs that use their networks.

Based on LG's info I should feel confident that the US997 will work properly on Sprint but my confidence becomes shaken every time I communicate with a Sprint rep and come away with the feeling that they don't want to assist a 10+ year customer (family plan with 5 lines) in getting my new phone swapped over to my existing account!

Master

If I have a G6 and I call Sprint and unlock it, that phone is now a factory unlock phone that can be used with any SIM card.
The model you mentioned, should be OK to use in Sprint since they specifically mention the CDMA and that it is Sprint compatible.
The only issue will be that Sprint would need to add your phone's serial in their database for it to be activated.
I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

Dj_Damjano:

You wrote: "The only issue will be that Sprint would need to add your phone's serial in their database for it to be activated." That's the first solid info on the steps I need to take I've received ... thanks! Do you know how I'd go about that ... can it be done at a Sprint store or online, via phone, etc.?

Thanks again for all your assistance!

Master

@Sprint_Juan Can help you with this, he's helped several with the same thing already. Simply click his name, find the big button that says send a message and provide him with the following,

• MEID
  • Memory size (if available in multiple sizes)
  • MAC ID
  • Phone number we are swapping the device to
  • Account PIN

DO NOT PROVIDE IN THIS THREAD.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

smotrs:

Thanks for the valuable info ... your response gave me a much clearer idea of specifically what info I need to provide to Sprint. Also, thanks for the link to @Sprint_Juan ... great to know he's helped others thru this process already!

Master

Wanted to check in and see if you had any luck on this.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Did the US997 work on sprint? I'm considering doing the same thing? 

Master

Based on the specs of it, YES it should work.
What you need to do is call or IM the support desk and ask them to open a ticket to add the IMEI, Serial, MAC and other info from your phone to the Sprint database.
This process might take up to 3 days.
Let me know if you have any issues.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat