cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G6 oreo 8.0 update killed android auto

Highlighted
Journeyman

G6 oreo 8.0 update killed android auto

Installed this morning, Android auto no longer works on my head unit. I believe the problem is somehow traceable to the USB, but I have tried every USB setting available, including developers options. 

Anyone have any useful things to check, or anyone know when 8.1 will eventually arrive? I feel like my only options are to wait or revert to 7.1.  Or give up on this phone  which has been problematic from the start. 

37 REPLIES 37
Journeyman

Re: G6 oreo 8.0 update killed android auto

I've tried everything.  

I'm really upset that I joined onto Sprint with my wife and went with an LG G6.  I can replace the phone, but I'm still stuck with Sprint.

Sprint Social Care

Njh11.  Are you receiving a specific error message? If so, what error are you receiving? Based on what you said it seems you are experiencing other issues. Can you please let us know what is going on?

Palmira
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Thank you Palmira, I know you are trying to help. I'm frustrated because I spent over 4 hours yesterday trying to get this problem sorted out and have come to the conclusion this can't be fixed without a update to the OS in some form (or reverting back to Android 7.1).  Based on the 4-5 months since the last update, I've decided that I really can't wait that long for a feature I depend on every day.  I will have to get a new phone, though I'm upset I'm still paying for the g6 I'm currently on.

My other problems are probably more related to Sprint service than the phone - I believe Sprint somehow leaked my phone number when I joined my wife's plan last year (moving from Verizon), I started receiving dozens of spam calls a week not long after switching to Sprint. We may save about $20/mo, but if I had it to do over again I probably wouldn't make the same decision.  I will probably be considering a switch to a different carrier when my contract expires next year  

Thank you for your help, I do appreciate it. 

Sprint Social Care

Njh11. I did notice that other customers are having the same issues with different devices make and model after the update, so basically it may be fixed by a new update. I know that receiving those type of phone calls can be annoying, have you tried blocking those numbers?

Palmira
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I understand.  It's just with the slow release of updates by both LG and Sprint, I cannot wait a couple of months or more without being able to use a major feature of the phone.  It's almost as critical as being able to place phone calls - in fact it does impede by ability to make phone calls and send text messages safely while driving.

Because of that, I will have to move to a different phone.  I understand that Sprint will not be able to help with that - commonly carriers will not assist users when a software update adversely affects a phone.  The whole experience has been a net negative, though - I was a longstanding customer with Verizon and had very few problems, but I've been very discouraged with my Sprint experiences to date.

GrandMaster

couple things to keep in mind..device updates do not come from the carrier..the manufacturers kick those out after testing is done by the carriers and the manufacturers testers..once both agree that the update is as bug free as possible THEN the go ahead is given for the manufacturer to kick them out over the carriers network..

with that being said each carrier requests certain things be added onto updates which in turn can make them take longer to kick out. usually the updates kick out within a few weeks of each other with all carriers.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I understand.  I'm just not very optimistic for a timely fix since the last update we got on the G6 from Sprint was the January security patch.  

To be honest, I've spent way too much time trying to troubleshoot this problem and need to move on.  I wish Sprint would help out with that - since as you suggest they're responsible for ensuring the update affects as little as possible while improving the experience, and the Oreo update they pushed essentially removed half the utility of my phone.  I've really not been very impressed with the level of service provided by these larger companies these days, so my expectations are low.  

GrandMaster

i have the G6 as well..out of curiosity..what is Android Auto?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
GrandMaster

what i mean by carrier testing is they make sure it doesnt mess up how it reads the network, calls etc..keep in mind that testing is usually done on bare bones devices..meaning zero apps from the play store since they cant really test against every single combo of apps out there that might end up fighting each other..as for what you have going on its not unheard of for an app to not work right after a large OS update..usually that means the app itself needs to be updated to be compatible with the latest update...anything popping up in the play store for it?

Journeyman

YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW O_O

Really, though - it's basically Google Assistant driven by your phone through a compatible head unit.  It's also usable as a standalone on the phone, but it's helpful to have it tied into your head unit.

When it works - it's amazing, but in my experience it works properly less than half the time.  The app ties in Google Maps, Waze, Spotify and other music apps, and the Google Assistant - all routed through Android Auto.  If you've got a newer car with steering wheel controls, you can ask for directions and TuneIn stations on the fly, if you've got a smart home you can ask for lights to turn on, or your garage door to open.  You can text people with the push of a button, and you can broadcast messages if you've got a Google Home in your house.  Again - it's amazing when it works and has incredible potential, but the development has been severely lacking and bug-ridden.  This last bug has been the coup de grace for me, and may be just the ticket to move me to an iPhone.  Apple has a similar package called CarPlay, with fewer features as you'd expect from Apple - but no one ever complains about it not working.

Journeyman

No update for Android Auto.  I really get the sense this is an OS issue, since my head unit has a basic feature called "WebLink," which is similar to Android Auto with less features.  I tried that as well last night, and as best I can tell the phone simply isn't recognized as a supported device any longer - e.g. something to do with the USB connection.  

One of the most common bugs with AA can be traced to the USB cord you use to connect the phone to the head unit, but I went from a working system to a non-working system overnight with the update.  I still tried other cords I had laying around, but nothing has helped.  

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat