cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G6 Android Update to 8.1 or 9.0

Journeyman

LG G6 Android Update to 8.1 or 9.0

Are there plans to update the LG G6 to android 8.1 or 9.0?

The speed with which updates roll out make me like sprint less.

10 REPLIES 10
Wizard

Re: LG G6 Android Update to 8.1 or 9.0

Good morning. I'm not sure when the next update would be coming out. The latest update is stated in this link https://community.sprint.com/t5/LG-Devices/Software-Update-LG-G6-LS993-09-12-2018/m-p/1016820

Any new updates will be posted as we get that info.

QueenK Social Care 

Be Original, Not a Copy. 
Your opinion matters! So feel free to show someand accept the solution once the issue is fixed!
GrandMaster

are you saying the other carriers are already on 8.1 or 9.0?

looks like TMO's G6 is still on 8.0... lets take a lil gander at Verizons maybe...nope..same exact update we are on..security patch with some other random things added in...which was released by Sprint a day or two before they kicked out theirs.

if you are wanting to stay caught up with the Google phones you might opt to snag a Pixel instead of a carrier branded device. food for thought.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Where do software updates begin? Does it start with LG then gets sent out to carriers?

GrandMaster

for android it start with Google..then the OEM...then the OEM adds in whatever carrier things are needed..testing is done back and forth until its cleared by the carrier to not cause anything catastrophic...then its given the ok to be released by the OEM over the carries network.

same as every other carrier..its also explained here on TMO's site..so it doesnt seem like im blowing smoke

https://support.t-mobile.com/community/community/news-updates/blog/2018/04/16/software-updates-expla...

i can post Verizons break down of it as well if you wish..but its pretty much verbatim to Sprints and TMO's run down on updates.

Pixels/Google devices get them direct from Google with no in betweens ergo they get them quicker

for what its worth each carrier branded phone usually gets 2 large OS updates in its lifetime..on average..there have been rare cases where a device might get 3..then again there have been cases where a device only received 1 but this is extremely rare

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Im less than hopeful,but would love to see 8.1 roll out so i can conveniently listen to music again in my car.

GrandMaster

i still find that to be odd that it does that to you. mine hiccups here and there..in a half hour ish drive it might stall for a sec maybe twice. but i mainly run Spotify so not sure if its an issue with Spotify or my BT connection

Journeyman

Im in the truck today, will check tonight if todays software update helped at all..sometimes they have more than just the security update. And i live in hope.

GrandMaster

ditto lol.

Journeyman

Nevermind' looks like only the october security updates. I read a rumour that we'll be getting Pie by next summer. I hope this phone holds out that long. I went through 2nd year probise for replacement after close to 2 months im on a 2nd refurb. It is the wrong color and speaker buzzes...but at least it works.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

this phone has held up rather well for me.

now to find some wood to knock on since i just jinxed myself lol.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat