Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G6 unlocked with invalid sim

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

LG G6 unlocked with invalid sim

I purchased a LG G6 from Sprint over 6 months ago.  I recently paid off the phone in full before leaving the country. I now want to use a different sim card as I am living in another country where the local carrier offers better data services than the roaming offered on Sprint.  I called Sprint customer service a few times and eventually I got them to unlock my device. I received an email and a verbal confirmation from the Sprint rep that it is unlocked. However, I still get an invalid sim message when I place a Vodafone sim in the phone. Customer service told me to do a factory reset but that has not changed anything. The sim is good as it works fine in a cheap phone I picked up in country here.

I have read that there are a couple different kind of unlocks for Sprint phones. Domestic and International maybe? Also, I have read something about doing something with UICC but I really don't understand these things well.  I have seen there are services on ebay that claim they can remote connect to your phone through pc and unlock it but I am weary to let some stranger mess with my phone. I have also read about using dial codes to unlock... such as ##27263# (##BRAND#) to debrand, ##72786# (##?????#) - Resets provisioning and makes phone reactivate, and ##72786# (##UPDATE#) - Updates cellular data profile and configures service. Also causes a firmware update check.

If anyone can shed any light on the following questions I would be very grateful...

-Is there different kinds of unlocking or a difference between domestic and international unlocking?

-What is UICC for and is there a chance that I need to do something with that?

-Is it possible that a person on ebay may be able to remote connect and get rid of this 'invalid sim' message?

-Is it possible using dial codes might help my situation?

I certainly would appreciate any assistance as it is quite frustrating to have a fully paid off device that I can only use on wifi.  

Thank you in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GrandMaster

Re: LG G6 unlocked with invalid sim

you would have better odds with one of the agents in here..higher tier level of agent compared to the call in agents. since you are using a different phone currently anyways leave the other phone at home plugged in charging connected to wifi so there is very little chance it will not receive the signal.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Wizard

Hello Georglukas!

Just as fireguy_6364 mentioned, if the device is not connected to our network or WI-FI, it may not receive the unlock command, therefore reflecting that is unlocked when is not. We can help you with the request to send the signal again. Please check your inbox, I'll send you a private message.

Joel
Sprint Social Care

79 REPLIES 79
Highlighted
GrandMaster

was your phone still on an account or connected to some type of data connection when you received that email about them kicking you the unlock to the phone?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, the cell data hasn't been working. But I've been using WiFi. What is the relation of being online to when they sent me the email?

Highlighted
GrandMaster

because the phone must receive the signal to unlock it..if there is no signal including wifi then it can not receive the signal being sent to it..on top of that the signal being sent only sends one time..it does not keep repeating until the phone receives it. so if it missed getting that signal on their side it will say its unlocked when in reality it is not.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I never thought of that. It probably was off when they sen the email. Ive been using another cheap phone for everyday purposes. I guess I could try and call them and ask to send it again.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

you would have better odds with one of the agents in here..higher tier level of agent compared to the call in agents. since you are using a different phone currently anyways leave the other phone at home plugged in charging connected to wifi so there is very little chance it will not receive the signal.

Highlighted
Wizard

Hello Georglukas!

Just as fireguy_6364 mentioned, if the device is not connected to our network or WI-FI, it may not receive the unlock command, therefore reflecting that is unlocked when is not. We can help you with the request to send the signal again. Please check your inbox, I'll send you a private message.

Joel
Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello. I am exactly in the same situation and still waiting the device to catch this mystery signal. Thanks for these shares. I will post a link to this solution in my thread for the convenience of futur readers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am in a similar situation except with a bit of different twist.

My phone was unlocked briefly before some OTA update. Not exactly sure about what the OTA was, but LG performed SW update to LS993ZV9 after warranty service and the phone was locked again. Sprint rep here and tech support have been helpful and tried to unlock it in a few failed attempts but I am getting invalid sim whenever I inserted non Sprint SIM. The most recent attempt is going through ##brand# followed by unlock. Sprint rep claimed the phone is fully unlocked but I don't see any different behavior (i.e. still invalid sim error) other than more Sprint SW installed to phone. Sent the phone back to LG and provided them all the history, not sure what they did but they said after their fix and reprogram (again not sure what it is, I saw the same SW V9 version), the phone should be ready to unlock. I have not been able to get Sprint support to respond to my request of one more unlock attempt after latest LG update. I am wondering if other people can share their experience

1. Did you lose your LG G6 lock status after LG warranty service and if Sprint is able to help?

2. Anyone successfully unlock LG G6 with SW v9 with non-active service?

My phone has never been activated in non-Sprint NW since I got it late last year due to unlock issue. I do believe Sprint tech has tried the unlock service but the phone still sees invalid sim error for whatever reasons. Really hope I can get Sprint support help here to find out if phone can be unlocked after LG's latest repair. It may benefit the community.... really appreciate all the help and support here...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I received successful unlock and other sim worked. Later, I got the same invalid sim or sim not detected error. I did factory reset and the outside sim was detected once again. I have been OK for about a week now. I am not planning on doing any system updates.

Try factory reset.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

@soundgirl using the BRAND code just relocked it to Sprint..BRAND is a carrier specific code. do NOT use it if the device is already on a different carrier.
Highlighted
Journeyman

wrote:
@soundgirlusing the BRAND code just relocked it to Sprint..BRAND is a carrier specific code. do NOT use it if the device is already on a different carrier.

Yes. Phone is never on another carrier. It was instructed by Sprint tech in preparation for subsequent unlock procedure. It is needed because unlock attempt failed from previous normal process. Still see invalid sim error and that is why it was sent to to LG for warranty service. After diagnostic and repair, LG said unlock attempt should work this time but I am waiting for Sprint tech support team to respond and help repeat the unlock procedure.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat