cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G7 Thinq - no Android 9 (Pie) update

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: LG G7 Thinq - no Android 9 (Pie) update

So here we are in mid December and I just received this response from a Sprint rep when I asked why every other carrier has pushed the Pie update months ago to the G7 Thinq, but not Sprint: 

"rest assured that the android pie update will be ready for your phone by the end of this month and you'll be able to download it to your device in January 2020..."

Uh huh. Somehow, I doubt it. Seriously, Sprint should give at *least* a $100 statement credit to all customers who purchased the LG G7 Thinq as an apology for this ineptitude.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, it's now 2020 and all of us lucky LG G7 Thinq owners on Sprint still see:

Android version 8.0.0

Highlighted
Journeyman

They should buy the phone back at full retail price.

As far as I am concerned Sprint sold us this phone based on a lie that it would be kept up to date in a reasonable amount of time.

And honestly it needs to be updated to Q in the next update!!! if they update to Pie and then take another year to update to Q 10.0 I am going to be very upset.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Agreed. This is well beyond ridiculous now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So, obviously there have been "setbacks".

Highlighted
Journeyman

I called again this last night. "Tech support" reps and their supervisors have no clue. They thought I was talking about "upgrading" the phone to a newer model rather of "updating" the Android version on the G& Thinq. Again, clueless and embarrassing.
Highlighted
Journeyman

LG G7 Thinq - still running Android 8.0

So here we are on February 1, 2020 and STILL no Android update for the LG G7 Thinq. Any new excuses, Sprint?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: LG G7 Thinq - still running Android 8.0

The Pie source code has appeared on LG's opensource code website. This means that the update should be coming within the next week. Here is a link to the sourcecode page.

http://opensource.lge.com/osSch/list?types=ALL&search=G710 

I do NOT work for Sprint, but have been patiently waiting for the update, and checking all the resources I know of. I am happy that we have actually gotten more security updates than most other versions.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the info, but I'm not holding my breath.

Highlighted
Journeyman

And now the LG G7 Thinq is apparently getting Android 10, but NOT on Sprint I'll bet - since we unlucky Sprint customers (suckers, really) are *still* running Android 8.

I wish someone at Sprint would have some backbone and own up to this massive tech screw-up and maybe make it up to us somehow. 

But that won't happen, of course...

https://androidcommunity.com/lg-g7-thinq-about-to-receive-android-10-os-update-20200206/

Highlighted
Journeyman

FYI, I received a text message from Sprint this morning(2/13) stating that an update removing Calling Plus will be pushed out starting 2/14/2020. I would assume that this is the update to Pie including VoLTE to replace Calling Plus.

Screenshot_2020-02-13-11-19-53.png

Highlighted
GrandMaster

i know on previous devices that still had Calling Plus data calls still on them this was a pre update before the actual VoLTE and in this case more than likely 9.0..wont hear anything until the update actually pushes though..i know before they avoided doing it all at once due to the risk of problems popping up. things might have changed but previously thats how it was done

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat