I have a unlocked LG G8 (LM-G820QM ) running software version G820QM21c, purchased from Amazon. I originally purchased the phone for Sprint service.
Last week (8/19) I attempted to make a call and all calls display a message under the dialed number "Out of service area" and a dialogue box at the bottom that says "Mobile network is unavailable." I restarted the phone and the same issue occurred. I contacted a customer representative and eventually on to technical support and spoke to Ty. We updated the PRL and the profile, same issue. Then attempted to perform a OS update but the phone has the current OS. Ty mentioned that it could possibly be an issue with the VoLTE and to try and toggle the VoLTE setting. The setting to toggle VoLTE is not on the phone. She tried a number of possible ways to find the settings, to no avail. I also completely reset the phone hoping the setting would be there, it is not. The call took 2 hours.
On my own I discovered if I dropped down to CDMA I could make and receive calls and get data on 3G but I am paying for 4G/LTE and this is something I do not want to negotiate with.
The following day (8/20), I went to the local T-Mobile store. The gentleman there did the same things, removed the SIM card, reseated it. He suggested seeing a live technician at a larger store. No change. The visit took over an hour.
Friday 8/21, I made an appointment to see the technician and there was nothing she could do, the same resets, the same thing with the SIM card. The technician sheepishly mentioned maybe a patch will be made available at some point and would look up to see if there was a “call” about this issue. Nothing, no change. I was in and out in less than an hour.
Whether this is a LG update or a Sprint/T-Mobile issue that caused the problem, this is not my concern. Again, I am not paying for 3G service so a fix now will be better than later.
Today 8/23. Ty was supposed to follow up with me over the phone at 12PM. Ty never called me back. I see 3 bars of signal strength and the data is still working but I am stuck at 3G. While writing this I checked once more and the LTE still does not allow me to make or receive calls. My patience is wearing thin.
Any ideas or suggestions? Other than entering pound # codes?
I have the Amazon G820QM, unlocked with preinstalled Amazon apps device. My work around stopped working last week. The APN continually reverted to non-cdma and not allowing 4G voice and text. Went to T-Mobile, after the they tried all the tricks they could conjure, we decided to test a T-Mobile SIM, and then everything worked. I converted my Sprint account to T-Mobile and my phone has worked fine for a week. Even tested a few power cycles. So either the phone was not unlocked or Sprint made changes as noted above.
since all other non Amazon G8s are still working fine im going to go out on a limb and guess that something was changed up on the Amazon versions side that is no longer playing nice with something on the Sprint side..