cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G8 LM-G820QM - Mobile Network Is Unavailable On 4G/LTE

Highlighted
Journeyman

LG G8 LM-G820QM - Mobile Network Is Unavailable On 4G/LTE

I have a unlocked LG G8 (LM-G820QM ) running software version G820QM21c, purchased from Amazon. I originally purchased the phone for Sprint service.

Last week (8/19) I attempted to make a call and all calls display a message under the dialed number "Out of service area" and a dialogue box at the bottom that says "Mobile network is unavailable." I restarted the phone and the same issue occurred. I contacted a customer representative and eventually on to technical support and spoke to Ty. We updated the PRL and the profile, same issue. Then attempted to perform a OS update but the phone has the current OS. Ty mentioned that it could possibly be an issue with the VoLTE and to try and toggle the VoLTE setting. The setting to toggle VoLTE is not on the phone. She tried a number of possible ways to find the settings, to no avail. I also completely reset the phone hoping the setting would be there, it is not. The call took 2 hours.

On my own I discovered if I dropped down to CDMA I could make and receive calls and get data on 3G but I am paying for 4G/LTE and this is something I do not want to negotiate with.

The following day (8/20), I went to the local T-Mobile store. The gentleman there did the same things, removed the SIM card, reseated it. He suggested seeing a live technician at a larger store. No change. The visit took over an hour.

Friday 8/21, I made an appointment to see the technician and there was nothing she could do, the same resets, the same thing with the SIM card. The technician sheepishly mentioned maybe a patch will be made available at some point and would look up to see if there was a “call” about this issue. Nothing, no change. I was in and out in less than an hour.

Whether this is a LG update or a Sprint/T-Mobile issue that caused the problem, this is not my concern. Again, I am not paying for 3G service so a fix now will be better than later.

Today 8/23. Ty was supposed to follow up with me over the phone at 12PM. Ty never called me back. I see 3 bars of signal strength and the data is still working but I am stuck at 3G. While writing this I checked once more and the LTE still does not allow me to make or receive calls. My patience is wearing thin.

Any ideas or suggestions? Other than entering pound # codes?

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
GrandMaster

oddly enough i have came across multiple Amazon devices now that have started acting up in here..mind you the Sprint G8 and unlocked direct from LG G8 isnt showing any issues via posters in here..just the Amazon one..you will want to contact LG on this one..

are there any other devices from Sprint/TMO near you? and if so are they seeing the same thing or are they working fine?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

I would not tell people to call LG, they do not help and sent me back to Sprint support. So I am stuck with a phone paying for LTE and only able to force my phone to receive 3G service. I wonder where the Amazon phones are coming from? This I would like to know and understand the answer will not be here or be from this forum.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Did resets again and this did not help.

Highlighted

unfortunately their phones have additional stuff added in just like carriers have things added into their devices for them..im guessing that is where the issues are coming in. same thing when you see an update push through and one specific carriers update jacks up the phone..because their update isnt the same as the other carriers updates for their same phones..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you for the help and information.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

*tips hat*

no worries..doin what i do in here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just resolved this with the same phone and same frustrations.  Go to Settings\Mobile Networks

Access Point Names.  Select cinet.   Go back to Mobile Networks and change to Automatic or LTE/CDMA.  4G will appear on the phone status.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@dlitif, can you be more specific about changing the APN to cinet?  I've tried that many times, but every time it reverts to n.ispsn after a few seconds and doesn't resolve the issue.  Did you do anything special to get the cinet selection to stick?  And you're sure your setting didn't revert back to n.ispsn?  Also, have you power cycled your phone since you changed this, and it still works?  I also noticed that I can change the network mode to CDMA to restore voice/text function, AND I can then later change it back to LTE/CDMA or Auto to change back to 4G data and retain voice/text function, WITHOUT needing to change the APN.  But as soon as I power cycle the phone, I lose voice/text again and have to go through the above procedure again.

Yes, below are two other threads with this exact same issue with this specific phone (the Amazon G8).  And I'm seeing more recent reviews on Amazon about the same thing with Sprint.  This is a recent development.  The phone worked perfectly for me with Sprint from Aug 2019 until June 2020.  Something has changed at Sprint with their network.  My phone literally worked one day and the next day, magically didn't.  I had NOT gotten a software update since Feb 2020, 3 months before the issue started for me, so it was not a software update on the phone that caused it either.  NOTHING changed on my phone from the one day it worked and the next day that it did not.

I DID have luck with LG from a standpoint of, the phone was still under warranty and they let me send it back to diagnose, but nothing was wrong it and they send it back.  I was then able to talk them into giving me a replacement device, but it of course has the same issue too.

My own thread about this issue:

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Network-and-Coverage/I-have-data-but-no-voice-or-text-possible-netwo...

Another thread about this issue.

https://community.sprint.com/t5/LG/LG-G8-calls-quit-working-connected-to-LTE/td-p/1081211

Highlighted

Hi! I'm seeing that you've tried a lot of stuff in hopes of fixing this permanently. Can you tell me which software version you're currently running and if you're able to update? 

Highlighted

Thank you for your inquiry in this issue. I have the latest updates on my phone. I understand that a change was made on the Sprint side and this is not going to be fixed. I await upgrading my phone to be done with this. Asking more questions without proven solutions is a waste of everyone's time. Have a nice day.

Highlighted

No help so far. I accept it will never come. You are stuck with the phone until you upgrade to something else. I will continue calling for a monthly discount until then.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat