Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G8 - calls quit working connected to LTE

Highlighted
Journeyman

LG G8 - calls quit working connected to LTE

LG G8 Amazon version.  Android 10.

Last week (6/28) my boss said calling my phone was going directly to voicemail.  I found data was working fine, but calls in or out just don't work.  I searched a bit online and didn't really see anyone else having the same problems but I saw mention of changing the Mobile Network setting.  I switched it from Automatic to CDMA and calls worked again, but then I lose 4G.  

When trying to make a call, I see a message under the dialed number "Out of service area" and then there's a dialogue box at the bottom that says "Mobile network is unavailable"

I called support and probably spent a good half hour trying to troubleshoot.  Pretty early on it was suggested there was an issue with a local tower, but he then spent a lot of time trying to work out the issue on my phone, which seemed a little odd to me if he thought it was a tower issue.  He struggled with understanding I have the Amazon version of the phone and it isn't running Sprint software, so the available settings are completely different (specifically, VoLTE isn't an option).  He asked if I had been anywhere else and if it worked there, but I hadn't, due to being busy and staying home and all.  He said to give a day or so and check again.  I did keep checking, but have been super busy with work, so I couldn't call in again.  Next thing I know it's Saturday and it's working again.

Then a few days later my boss said the calls are going directly to voicemail again.  After I was done working today, I traveled to the next town over 3 miles away in the opposite direction of the tower I was told might be having an issue.  Still no calls.  I can see 3-5 bars of signal strength and data still working fine, but if I check the signal strength setting on my phone it shows 0 dBm, even though I am clearly connected and data is working normally.  

When connected to LTE, the Network page on my phone shows:

Network: Sprint

Signal Strength: 0 dBm 0 asu

Mobile Network Type: LTE

Service State: In Service

Roaming State: Not roaming

Mobile network state: Connected

If I switch to CDMA, it looks like this:

Network: Sprint

Signal Strength: between -65 and -80 dBm 8 asu

Mobile Network type: CDMA - EvDo rev. A

Service State: In service

Roaming State: Not Roaming

Mobile Network State: Connected

I've updated PRL a number of times.  When on the phone with support he had me enter some # code which reset something, restarted, and nothing changed.  Any ideas or suggestions?

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

This must be frustrating, continuously encountering this issue. It seems like previous troubleshooting step was given in regards to this matter, which I'll like to take a look at. Can you send me a private message? 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having this EXACT same issue. Were you able to get it resolved?

Highlighted

How long has this been happening?

Highlighted

Yeah, kind of.  Daneille above wasn't able to help, but suggested going in to a repair store.  Being as busy I was, I just didn't have any time to go out to one so I left it in CDMA and connected to wifi.  Maybe 10 days of checking my LTE connection, it finally worked and has been working ever since.  So I just pretty just waited it out.  Sorry I got nothing to help.

Highlighted

Thanks for the reply. I'm wondering if it is tied to the T-mobile merger and they are working out some network kinks. Hopefully they get it sorted in my area soon.

Highlighted

I've had the phone for a week. I've been through 3 sim cards and countless network resets. Not really any help from Sprint, as you all use the same KB script. Based on Dumahim's post, it sounds like it may be a network issue that will get sorted out in time. The market I'm in (West Texas) isn't a huge customer base, so we tend to be pretty far down on the priority list.

Highlighted

Hi @ TxRanger55 look out for a private message. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, I updated apps and did a restart, and it won't connect to LTE again.  I think that is probably what happened each time I've run in to this problem.  Seems if I don't restart my phone once it can connect it's fine.  Restart?  Nope!

Highlighted

Hey @ Dumahim, what do you mean? You mentioned when you restart it works. Did you restart?

Highlighted

The opposite.  It seems when I restart the phone is what is triggering the problem with not being able to do calls while connected to LTE.

More info: It always seems my battery drains quicker after doing a bunch of app updates, so I often do a restart after an update.  After the 2nd time I had this issue, I hadn't done any updates in about 3 weeks because I didn't want to break anything.  

Highlighted

Ohh, I see. You can probably try optimizing your phone, that way it should close off all your background apps that may be running. That way it'd help with your battery issue as well. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat