Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG V20 - Are you feeling blue? - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

LG V20 - Are you feeling blue? - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Hey again, everyone!

I am back, and this time with the LG V20!  You may recall my love for the LG G5 from my previous blogs (links at bottom of this post!). Well, I am happy to say that the LG V20 is just as deserving of the love my LG G5 received!  This phone is pretty fantastic. Over the next few weeks, I’ll be providing some tips and tricks, use cases, and overall functionality of the LG V20. Stay tuned for those!  In the meantime, I wanted to take a moment to discuss the Comfort View option on the LG V20, which reduces blue light.

What is Blue Light?

First, blue light is normal and is part of the visible light spectrum that your eye normally sees. Blue light comes from various objects include the sun, digital screens (such as your smartphone), and lighting equipment. However, blue light is believed to have profound impacts on our lives.

According to a Harvard study blue light can impact a person’s circadian rhythm, can lead to health risks such as diabetes and obesity (due to sleep issues), and reduces melatonin at greater levels than other lights (Harvard Health Letter, 2015). In fact, in a study “blue light suppressed melatonin for about twice as long as the green light and shifted circadian rhythms by twice as much (3 hours vs. 1.5 hours)” (Harvard Health Letter, para. 8, 2015).

Blue light is increasingly difficult to avoid as LED lighting, both in digital screens and other lights around the home and office, are becoming more prevalent. The blue light emitted from various lighting sources can have profound impacts on a person.  Reducing blue light is necessary, as this will reduce negative impacts of prolonged blue light exposure.

BlueLightpng.pngImage Source (Blue Light Exposed, 2016)

LG V20 – Comfort View

The LG V20 allows users to reduce blue light from the digital screen using its built-in ‘Comfort View’ setting. This setting reduces or removes the blue light at various intensities depending on the setting. It turns the screen a bit more brown/yellow than when it is used normally. This is helpful, because it allows for less eye strain, less impacts to circadian rhythm, and can help users fall asleep easier (when compared to blue light exposure).

Comfort View Settings on the LG V20 can be found by navigating through one of two ways:

1. Quick Settings Tray
    1. Drag down the notifications bar with two fingers (this opens all of the quick settings icons)
    2. Slide your quick settings to the right to find Comfort View (this will vary per device based on your personal setup)
    3. Tap Comfort View to turn it on
    4. If the hue is not what you want, simply hold down on the Comfort View icon to be taken to the settings to adjust to your preference.
  2. Device Settings
    1. Navigate to device settings
    2. Tap Display tab
    3. Scroll to “Comfort View” under the Basic heading
    4. Tap switch to turn on, or three dots to configure

The settings available for Comfort View on the LG V20 include Low, Medium, High, and Black & White. The various options allow the user to determine which setting works for him or her. You can preview that it will look like in the box above the settings list.

NOTE: Comfort View only impacts the screen on the device, not the actual colors of the phone. Therefore, if you take a screenshot, photo, or video, it will not be altered by the blue light filter in any way. The blue light filter is solely for the device’s screen.

Screenshot_2016-12-28-09-22-19.pngScreenshot_2016-12-28-09-22-43.pngScreenshot_2016-12-28-09-22-56.png

Extended reading

If you are interested in blue light and how it can impact you, you may like these articles:

Stop feeling blue!

You can stop feeling blue by reducing blue light around you at least three hours before bed (Harvard Health Letter 2015). You can utilize the LG V20’s built-in Comfort View settings to turn on the blue light filter in the evenings (or whenever you go to bed normally).  Additionally, there are applications such as Twilight (Free) (Twilight PRO) that allow you to schedule the time when the blue light filter is turned on and off. Unfortunately Comfort View does not allow for scheduling at this time (although it would be nice to have it on a schedule similar to Do Not Disturb!).

If you aren’t sure of the impacts of blue light, give Comfort View a try and see if you can notice a difference.  I am curious to know the results, so drop a comment below!

As always, thank you for reading. 

Until next time!

~ Troy

LG G5 Blogs:

References:

Blue Light Exposed. (2016). Where is the increased exposure to blue light coming from?. Retrieved from http://www.bluelightexposed.com/#where-is-the-increased-exposure-to-blue-light-coming-from

Harvard Health Letter. (2015, September 02). Blue light has a dark side. Retrieved from http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side

- The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

Troy Glidden

Service and Repair Process Improvement Manager
Portland, OR area

Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/troyglidden 

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat