cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG V20 Claimed to be unlocked in system, but constant invalid SIM

Journeyman

Re: LG V20 Claimed to be unlocked in system, but constant invalid SIM

So I've been in contact with sprint. They sent the unlock again. I went and clicked "update profile" and my phone restarted. I got excited. When it powered back on, i clicked uicc unlock and it returned "authentication error. Please try again later."  

I got a message saying "the phone shows as unlock, do this reset and then do the updates in system updates and the uicc unlock." But that isn't working. Every one i click on says "authentication error"

Whats next?

Sprint Social Care

Hello Heroicmegaman. It is important to understand that Unlocking a device simply means overriding operational parameters restricting the device to operating on Sprint's network. Even if unlocked, Sprint devices may not work on another carrier's network. Whether an unlocked Sprint device can be used on another carrier's network is subject to that carrier's policies and network compatibilities. Additionally, Sprint devices, which the owner has attempted to reprogram or activate on another carrier's network or otherwise altered from its initial programming or settings, may not be able to be reactivated on the Sprint network.

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I'm guessing that at a basic level three things need to happen to successfully unlock these phones. 1. Remove the restriction and allow APN's to be added. 2. Remove the restriction that only allows CDMA sim cards. 3. MSL unlock code entered. Doing some research I discovered that the first few Sprint roms for the v20 exposed the debug settings that allowed you to access those settings, and with a program, determine what your MSL was, letting you unlock the phone without the help of Sprint. Subsequent roms have removed access. I wonder if that's part of the problem and why we're having such difficulty unlocking these phones. Maybe Sprint locked themselves out and don't know that they did because nobody is asking the correct questions to the correct team? I'm probably wrong, but you can't help but wonder...
Journeyman

@Sprint_Juan

The issue isn't that the phone won't work on the other carrier. As i've stated to you before in private chat, the phone used to work if i did a factory reset. However the phone is no longer working even then.

The issue is that the signal you are sending to the phone isn't sticking to it. When the phone is restarted, the unlock information sent to the phone is wiped. I'm not sure if its something in your coding on your side or if its an imcompatability with the LS997 and sprint's firmware, but there is a problem.

Instead of constantly telling us that the problem is with the phone or the other carrier, maybe you guys could dig a little deeper to understand why so many different LS997 owners are having the same exact problem.

If it were just one or two people i could understand, but now you're starting to see that SO many other people with LS997's are showing that their phone is not unlocked even though your system is reporting that it is.

Please stop telling me that it won't work with another carrier, it has before and it does, but you guys don't want to put any more work into fixing the problem if you can get us to just go away and be like "oh well." I'm not going anywhere though. I gave you almost $1000 for this phone and i want to be able to use it like its mine since it is. Please dedicate someone to resolving this issue for all of us.
GrandMaster

it does this after a regular restart or after doing a factory reset or typing in a ## code?

if its the first one then that is something LG is going to need to figure out..if it were a issue on Sprints side then wouldnt it affect more than just this device?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I hear you . I said the same thing to them but all they are saying we will send you in private message.  And we will send the code .    

Or saying not all devices are compatible . 

AGAIN SPRINT - please do listen the SPRINT LG V20 USERS/OWNERS . 

Your unlocking way just do NOT work

How many times do we need to tell you this???????????

GrandMaster

same question though. is this happening after a simple device restart or is it happening after a factory reset, ##code being put in or a cache/partition wipe?

im trying to put a semi run down together.

so its unlocked...but then something is done (restart, code, whatnot) and the phone reverts back to locked status. is this what is happening for all of you or is it just not unlocking period?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

For me, the phone has not unlocked. What leads me to believe this is that if I insert a known good sim other than the one from Sprint, it is not recognized and the APN settings are still locked out. I have not done a factory reset, nor should you have to.
Journeyman

Forgot to mention that this is the exact same issue you see when trying to insert a gsm sim into a locked CDMA phone from Virgin Mobile...
Journeyman

@RTFMA1 wrote:
Forgot to mention that this is the exact same issue you see when trying to insert a gsm sim into a locked CDMA phone from Virgin Mobile...
Not that it matters, was just adding some information as to why I think the V20 isn't unlocked. And if Virgin didn't download so much bloat ware, I'm pretty sure if I dropped the sim into the v20 it would at least be recognized.
GrandMaster

i remember something like this happening with another LG device in the near past which is why i popped in here to compile a bit.

in your case though as long as it has the sim card still in it, turned on and connected to wifi there shouldnt be any issues receiving the unlock code they send~(if its no longer on an active account with Sprint)

if its unlocked but it relocks itself then that is something LG is going to need to figure out...there should be zero reason it should re lock itself unless its being moved to another carrier and they lock it in.

Journeyman

And that brings up an interesting question, is there a way to verify that the unlock signal was received? Other than the phone actually unlocking. Reason I ask, is for troubleshooting purposes. If we can verify whether or not the phone actually received the signal/code it would help determine the next steps to take.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 10:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat