cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG V20 Claimed to be unlocked in system, but constant invalid SIM

Journeyman

Re: LG V20 Claimed to be unlocked in system, but constant invalid SIM

@fireguy_6364

it is unlocked by sprint for sure.  when I click Unlock ICCID button in the Security Update, the device indeed states it will read all ICCID.   I believe it is unlocked.  

And Update PRL and Profile works as well.  

NOTE: all those who are failing those update, please reinsert ACTIVE SPRINT SIM CARD and have SPRINT to resend the unlock CODE.   and Leave the power on.    After 3 days (or once Sprint confirms), you should be able to do all 3 updates.   AlSO  you will see "add APN" option in the network/Advance.

@fireguy_6364 back to you again.  so mine looks good so far.  However when I insert NON-SIM CARD, it does not recognize.  I also do see ADD APN, but it does not save when i click SAVE.  It just don't save.  It lets me to Edit/SAVE mode but nothing available when I click save.

Only thing i didn't try is.. factory resetting.  But I will not do this because i know it will not work.  

There is a guy here @GreeGreeCreedle  or other guy is having a simiilar issue with me and he tried the factory reset.  per him, it read non-SPRINT sim card and it works until reboot.  Once it restarts, it does not work again.

so I know it is not working.  even it is unlocked but not unlocked.  

do you think it is a LG issue?  personally i don't think so.  i think it is a SPRINT issue.

The software locks the base code.   it won't let me save APN.   why?? 

Before unlock, there was no ADD APN.  After unlocking I see ADD APN.  so the base code is controlled by SPRINT.

The other day I got MSL code from SPRINT.  not sure what it is but it lets me edit the some base codes with entering MSL CODE.  I haven't touch anything yet since i am not sure what MSL code does.  I will need to research a bit. 

This is where I am now.

----------------- Other option,  I found a few unlock service for SPRINT LG V20 device in EBAY for $10~20.

I read the description, and all of them are saying that it requires connect to computer. 

It means, there is something SPRINT is missing.  I might try the Ebay later..

The bottom - I hate Sprint responses.   They are just copying / pasting the exact steps over and over.  they do not read our issues.   they think we are doing it right.  or device might not work on other carriers.

Again. SPRINT LG v20 LS997 should and will work on all carriers in U.S.  and the way SPRINT unlock for this device is NOT WORKING.  

Journeyman

@RTFMA1 YES There is a way to check.   but sprint.  lol    do you believe them? anyway they told me my device received the code.  I believe.. but the fact is that it is not working still.

GrandMaster

@RTFMA1

you should receive some type of notification once its unlocked or when they send the unlock code.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
GrandMaster

@amsguy

which carrier are you trying to add it to? im actually wondering if they must add your device into their system so its pulling their info in rather than Sprints..same ordeal if you brought the device from another carrier to here..they must add it into their data base since it didnt start here...their system will have zero info on it.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

@fireguy_6364 wrote:

@RTFMA1

you should receive some type of notification once its unlocked or when they send the unlock code.

Out of the 3 or 4 times that Sprint claims to have sent the unlock code and unlocked my device I have recieved a grand total of ONE e-mail stating something to the fact that the phone was unlocked,
Journeyman

@fireguy_6364 wrote:

@amsguy

which carrier are you trying to add it to? im actually wondering if they must add your device into their system so its pulling their info in rather than Sprints..same ordeal if you brought the device from another carrier to here..they must add it into their data base since it didnt start here...their system will have zero info on it.

Nope - it has ZERO to do with the other carrier - these are GSM sims that are currently working in other phones and have been moved without issue between multiple devices in the past. One of the sims was even in an iPhone (shudder) that my wife was using on Sprint and after 3 attempts and multiple phone calls, was finally correctly unlocked.
Journeyman

@fireguy_6364

Originally, after i paid off the phone and had it unlocked, the phone would with with another Carrier SIM if i inserted the SIM and then did a factory reset, but once the phone was restarted out powered off, the phone would report an incorrect SIM inserted.  

However after a forced update, my phone rebooted and since then it hasn't worked even after a factory reset.  Now it just says "service disabled" when any SIM other than the sprint SIM inserted.

The sprint firmware related to unlocking the LGV20 LS997 is incompatible and instead of looking to solve the problem, sprint is trying to pass the buck.  I'm beginning to lose my patience and I'm starting to think i may have to look into getting some outside help with getting my money back from sprint.  I was sold a device that isn't working as advertised and if they refuse to acknowledge that there is an issue on their side, I'll have to get serious about this.  

I'd much rather them just fix the issue as they've done in the past with all the other phones that are in this forum that they found an issue in the software for.

Go look at the other posts in this community. This isn't the first time an error was found in the unlocking process that was on sprints side.

Fix our issues, or roll out a buyback/exchange program for those of us that paid you for a device that you can't unlock. Otherwise we'll be forced to pursue other routes to solve our ongoing issues.

Journeyman

Next update:

Once again the unlock was sent to my phone. This time i randomly kept trying the uicc unlock until it said the unlock was successful.

When it said it was successful i powered the phone down and put in the new SIM card. I was greeted with "service disabled" still.  I tried the uicc unlock again and got "authentication error"  i did a factory reset and it didn't help.

The error is not that the unlock isn't being sent to the phone. The error is with the sprint firmware installed on the lg v20.  Your firmware related to unlocking is faulty. It doesn't work on the user end.  How many people have to have this issue before you guys actually listen and stop trying the same things over and over?

I spent 2 years in college for IT and have been doing troubleshooting since i was 12 years old.  That's 20 years.  But instead of getting in touch with someone that actually listens and tries to find a solution, I'm met with the same response time and time again that isn't helping.

THE ISSUE IS WITH YOUR FIRMWARE ON THE PHONE. SPECIFICALLY RELATED TO UNLOCKING.

I haven't seen a single person yet on any forum anywhere that says "i have a sprint lgv20 ls997 that is unlocked and fully operational" that isn't still on the sprint network. The only ones that are "unlocked" are still on sprint. But they probably aren't unlocked, they just don't know it because they're using your SIM.

Stop assuming I'm ignorant and don't know that my phone will work on other networks and LOOK AT YOUR FAULTY FIRMWARE ON THE PHONE.

and don't you say it's LG. Sprint puts your own firmware on the phones. I don't have the lg original firmware on here, i have the ls997 variant and because of the zvc/zvd update, i can't change it.  So accept responsibility, like a big company, and put some people on solving this issue.

Journeyman

@Heroicmegaman

We all hear you but SPRINT

Is there something we can do ?? I think this is a fraud

GrandMaster

@Heroicmegaman

so far that is two of you that has confirmed that it did in fact unlock..but after a simple device restart it relocks itself.

to confirm. it works after doing a factory reset on the device with the other carriers sim card in it...but once you do a regular device restart it relocks itself? or was that after the factory reset?

im a bit curious as to what forced update you are speaking of? last one im looking at for the V20 was a Android security patch.

Community Manager

First, thanks to @fireguy_6364 for inviting me to this party.  I believe there is some housekeeping in order.  I need to clear up some things.

After requesting the unlock, the phone needs to be active with SPRINT in order to receive the code.  This is the major issue that many people are having issue.  (if the device is not active, SPRINT DB will have it as unlocked, but device remains in LOCKED)

This is not true.  Your phone does not have to be active with Sprint in order to receive the unlock code.  Only connected to wifi with the Sprint SIM installed.

SPRINT needs to the code again instantly if the request is approved.  why do we need to way 2~3 days again?

The 2 to 3 days is given because not all agents have access to the tool to send the unlock code.  So they have to submit a ticket and the ticket is worked in the order it is received.  I have access to the tool and I can lock/unlock at Will.  However, there is sometimes where the phone was just paid off and I have to submit to Finance to clear the debt.  Usually less than 24 hours.

It will "fully unlock once you remove the phone from the Sprint account"

This is not required.

HOWEVER LG v20 has all LTE and GSM frequency so SPRINT LG v20 will (should) work for Any Carriers in U.S. once it is unlocked.

Sort of.  The V20 only has LTE Bands 2, 4, 5, 12 then, of course, our LTE bands of 25, 26, and 41.  Which makes it limited in the US.  The most common is Band 1.

I got another email with MSL code from sprint. not sure if the MSL code is unique for each device but it is right MSL code to edit some file.  I need to research with my own what MSL does and what i can do with MSL code.

MSL is the Master Security Lock code.   It's a code to access deeper menus.  We (Sprint) used it to program the device.  MSL is not helpful with this issue because the V20 is DSU.  We would provide the MSL to non-DSU devices and wish the customer good luck.  If any code would be required would be the PUK Code.  Usually, the phone will ask for it.

And that brings up an interesting question, is there a way to verify that the unlock signal was received? 

Yes and no.  If the device is active with us, yes we can see when it delivered.  If not, then no.

Now, from my experience in unlocking phones, I see the following a lot. 

1. Customers do not perform the UICC unlock under settings.  They just put the other SIM in and say it does not work.

2. The phone is set to CDMA by default and the customer never change the network settings to match the network of the SIM Card.  For example, they put a GSM SIM in the device and never changed the network to CDMA.

3. LG phones are finicky.  Not just the V20.  I have had the most success with LGs by unlocking them and having the customer immediately run the UICC unlock.  Of the network settings have to be on GSM/Global.  

Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am wrote:

First, thanks to @fireguy_6364 for inviting me to this party.  I believe there is some housekeeping in order.  I need to clear up some things.

After requesting the unlock, the phone needs to be active with SPRINT in order to receive the code.  This is the major issue that many people are having issue.  (if the device is not active, SPRINT DB will have it as unlocked, but device remains in LOCKED)

This is not true.  Your phone does not have to be active with Sprint in order to receive the unlock code.  Only connected to wifi with the Sprint SIM installed.

SPRINT needs to the code again instantly if the request is approved.  why do we need to way 2~3 days again?

The 2 to 3 days is given because not all agents have access to the tool to send the unlock code.  So they have to submit a ticket and the ticket is worked in the order it is received.  I have access to the tool and I can lock/unlock at Will.  However, there is sometimes where the phone was just paid off and I have to submit to Finance to clear the debt.  Usually less than 24 hours.

It will "fully unlock once you remove the phone from the Sprint account"

This is not required.

HOWEVER LG v20 has all LTE and GSM frequency so SPRINT LG v20 will (should) work for Any Carriers in U.S. once it is unlocked.

Sort of.  The V20 only has LTE Bands 2, 4, 5, 12 then, of course, our LTE bands of 25, 26, and 41.  Which makes it limited in the US.  The most common is Band 1.

I got another email with MSL code from sprint. not sure if the MSL code is unique for each device but it is right MSL code to edit some file.  I need to research with my own what MSL does and what i can do with MSL code.

MSL is the Master Security Lock code.   It's a code to access deeper menus.  We (Sprint) used it to program the device.  MSL is not helpful with this issue because the V20 is DSU.  We would provide the MSL to non-DSU devices and wish the customer good luck.  If any code would be required would be the PUK Code.  Usually, the phone will ask for it.

And that brings up an interesting question, is there a way to verify that the unlock signal was received? 

Yes and no.  If the device is active with us, yes we can see when it delivered.  If not, then no.

Now, from my experience in unlocking phones, I see the following a lot. 

1. Customers do not perform the UICC unlock under settings.  They just put the other SIM in and say it does not work.

2. The phone is set to CDMA by default and the customer never change the network settings to match the network of the SIM Card.  For example, they put a GSM SIM in the device and never changed the network to CDMA.

3. LG phones are finicky.  Not just the V20.  I have had the most success with LGs by unlocking them and having the customer immediately run the UICC unlock.  Of the network settings have to be on GSM/Global.  

Ok, so then, what do we do to get these devices unlocked or verified that the unlock code has been sent?
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 10:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat