Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG V20 - Home Screen Management - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

LG V20 - Home Screen Management - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Hey again, everyone!

If you have had an LG Device before you may be familiar with the layout that removes the traditional application drawer icon and pushes all of your applications to the home screen.  Or, perhaps this device is your first LG product and you’re noticing that all of your apps appear to be on your home screen. Well, you can change this, and I am here to show you how (or how to manage it effectively).

LG Home

A couple of LG devices ago (I cannot remember when it originally started), LG updated its home screen to be more user-friendly and intuitive. This made it easier to find applications without having to tap, and scroll, and search for items. LG made it just as simple as swiping to the right to see all of your apps.  It is a nice feature (in my opinion) that reduces a couple of steps.

The new LG Home layout is the default setting on the LG V20. This means that every time you add an application to your device via the Play Store, instead of it being housed in the application drawer, it is added to an available home screen to the right of your default home screen.  These are out of sight and do not change the layout of your default home screen. However, it can be easily missed and you might find yourself searching for the application drawer to locate a particular application.

You can change the default LG Home to an option with Home and App Drawer, which brings back the traditional button to access all of your applications with a single tap. If this is what you prefer, I’ll show you how to enable it below. Otherwise, I prefer to use folders to manage my applications.

Folder Management

You can easily manage your applications via folders, allowing you to customize how you want your device to look and feel.

To combine applications into a folder, simply press and hold an application until it floats. Once it floats, you can drag it onto another application to create a folder. If a folder already exists, simply drag it on top of that existing folder and drop it. 

You can rename folders by clicking the title at the top of an open folder. You can also add applications easily by tapping the ‘+’ icon in the upper right of a folder. This allows you to scroll through the list of all of your applications to find the ones you want in that folder. This is especially convenient when you are attempting to add numerous apps into a single folder – save time this way instead of dragging and dropping each one!

Screenshot_2017-01-17-16-17-31.pngScreenshot_2017-01-17-16-17-45.pngFolder naming and managementScreenshot_2017-01-17-16-17-50.pngAdd apps to folder

You can remove something from a folder by opening it, pressing and holding on the app you want to remove, and pulling it out of the folder. You can then move it to anywhere you want on the home screen(s).

Home Screen Layout Change

If folders aren’t your thing, or it takes too much time to set up, you can change your device home screen to include the application drawer.

When on your home screen, simply press and hold on an available open space (no application or widget). This will bring up the shortcut menu for the home screen. Simply tap “Home Screen Settings” to be taken to settings. Then, tap “Select Home” and choose “Home & app drawer.”  That’s it.  Your device will take you back to the home screen, and you’ll see the familiar application drawer icon in the lower middle of the screen. Tap this button and it’ll open up to all of your apps in the familiar spot.

Home Screen Change.pngAccessing Home Screen Settings & WidgetsHome Screen Settings.pngLocating home screen settingsHome Screen Change Setting.pngSwitching from Home to Home & App DrawerHome with App Tray.pngHome & App Drawer LayoutHome_Folders 2.pngDefault Home layout (without App Drawer)

Grid Size

Grid Change.pngThe LG V20 allows you to customize the grid size for your applications on your home screen.  If you prefer more or less icons on the screen, you can customize this based on your preference. Simply follow the steps in the previous paragraph above to be taken to your home screen settings. Once here select “Grid” under the layout section rather than editing home screen settings. You can then choose a 4x4, 4x5, or 5x5 grid. The various configurations allow you to see more or less on your home screen.  I prefer 5x5 to maximize the real estate and show more applications, folders, and widgets.

Widgets

While we’re at it, let’s chat about widgets. These have been with Android from its roots, yet they are higly underutilized tools! Many of the applications you download have widgets built in to allow various access to an app without ever having to open it!

For example, you ca have one for your Google Calendar, GroupMe chats, Gmail inbox, Target Cartwheel barcode (if you’re an avid Target shopper like me!), Fitbit tracking, etc. There are numerous widgets available based on the applications you have installed on your device.

To access widgets, simply press and hold on an available space on your home scree and tap “Widgets.” Scroll through the list of available widgets and press and hold to move to an available screen. You can resize it from here and move it anywhere you want.

Screenshot_2017-01-17-16-29-39.pngWidget SelectionScreenshot_2017-01-17-16-36-46.pngScreen 1 w/ WidgetsScreenshot_2017-01-17-16-36-52.pngScreen 2 w/ Widgets

I use widgets for all kinds of things because they’re ridiculously convenient. One way I love to use them is to create a dedicated page for various items. For work, I have my Outlook calendar, my outlook email, and a few other widgets on one page. This allows me to see everything at a quick glance. On another page, I have my school applications and widgets, and on another page I have shopping widgets (barcodes, quick access, etc.). 

You can remove a widget by pressing and holding it and sliding it up to “Remove” at the top of your screen.

Summary

Now you know how to manage your applications through folders, change back to the “default” Android view for applications that you might be more accustomed to, and you can enable and customize widgets. The LG V20 makes it easy to customize your phone in numerous ways. With the amount of time you spend with your phone and how much you depend on your phone, it really should work for you not against you. Set it up how you want it, make it unique, and make it fun.

Do you use the new LG Home or the traditional Home & App Drawer set up? Which one do you prefer the most and why? I’m curious what your take on it is!  Drop a comment below to let me know!

As always, thank you for reading. 

Until next time!

~ Troy

- The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

Troy Glidden

Service and Repair Process Improvement Manager
Portland, OR area

Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/troyglidden 

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat