cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will the LG G6 get the Android Oreo (8.0) update

Journeyman

When will the LG G6 get the Android Oreo (8.0) update

I heard April is when the G6 is slated for Oreo - Any truth to these rumors?

22 REPLIES
Sprint Social Care

Re: When will the LG G6 get the Android Oreo (8.0) update

Hey dnorway71. We still don't have any information as to when the OREO update will be available for the LG G6 devices. The last Upgrade for the LG - G6 (LS993) Software Version: LS993ZVA was on 1/23/2018 .

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

At this rate, probably next year. LG says that it's Sprint's responsibility, and Sprint says it's LG's. 

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

With our version of the G6 supporting CDMA, it gets software updates after the world version. there are some occasions if we notice a problem with an update where we send it back to have it corrected before release. Being an LG G6 user too, I hope we see something soon.

No longer working Community Response.
GrandMaster

anything noted that Oreo is bringing in that we are not able to do already?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

my understanding is that LG creates the updates, puts their spin on it, and then releases it to the carrier (Sprint) then Sprint tests and then releases to us.  

Journeyman

I heard the same, info on this has been scarce since February

GrandMaster

google creates the updates then kicks it out to the manufacturers to do their add ins. once they do that they then add in the carriers requested things and start testing.once they clear their testing the carrier does their testing..once that is cleared the carrier gives the ok for the update to be pushed out over the carriers network. the carrier does not actually do anything to the update...the manufacturer does for them.

what delays them however is the testing..if something is found on the stock devices they test against then it goes back in to be figured out and fixed..which can take a while at times. once its fixed its retested by the manufacturer and then the carrier until both clear it to be released.

one of the big ones that can cause an update to be messed up for someone are 3rd party apps. all testing is done on fully stock phones..there is no way to test against every combo of apps out there in the play store.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
GrandMaster

LG has never been known to be the quickest when it comes to kicking out updates.

Journeyman

Oreo (8.0) was released by Google in August of 2017 so I think LG had more than enough time to get it released to users.

What sucks is that they have not communicated anything at all to users, every other manufacturer of 'flagship' devices has either already released the update or has at least kept users updated on the progress of the rom.

The one thing I want from Oreo is the fix to this **bleep** idle drain, my phone drains so much battery when it's just sitting there. In the battery details it's always 'Phone Idle' which is the largest user of battery power and it's frankly annoying, that was an issue that I believe 7.0 had and was fixed in 7.1.1/7.1.2, LG never updated our phones to that or patched it in the 7.0 rom they gave us.

Also, my main point of frustration is the security updates, they are just terrible with them. There's a reason why Google releases monthly security patches, LG/Sprint could at least release them every other month, but nope.

GrandMaster

you might opt to reset your phone. i have zero idle drain on my G6..by far not a known issue the G6 has.

and the same rule applies to security updates..especially for security updates the carrier will not really touch it..do you really think they want to risk messing ANYTHING up in a security patch? no..again this falls back on the manufacturer.

GrandMaster

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 10:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat