cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will we get the LG V40 Pie update?

Journeyman

When will we get the LG V40 Pie update?

I have received a variety of answers from chatting with customer service. Can you clarify when this update will be released?

8 REPLIES 8
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: When will we get the LG V40 Pie update?

Hi zach. We don't have a set date to provide at this point in time. With any non-stock Android phone OS updates Sprint and the manufacturer have to work in tandem to make sure that the update won't break anything within the manufacturers UI features or on the Sprint side of things. As soon as that has been fully tested, those updates will start rolling out. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

I understand that, but Verizon, AT&T and T-mobile have already released their updates and the upgrade was recently released for unlocked phones. From my understanding, the upgrade for unlocked phones generally comes after the service providers for compatibility reasons. So I thought it was appropriate to ask, since Sprint devices are the only ones which have yet to receive an update. Is there really no status update?

At this point it is also becoming a security issue with the delay in release. Will Sprint unlock the bootloader so that i can compile the OS and security updates myself? It seems like it might be quicker.

Unfortunately that is just the way it goes with some of these manufacturers. Some of the other carriers only released as recently as the last few days. It will roll out for Sprint as soon as we can confirm it's good to go on all fronts and we'll drop an announcement here on Community as soon as we have info to share. We will not be releasing access to the bootloader. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

GrandMaster

Verizon didnt start kicking out Pie until a few days ago..going off that usually most carriers are within a couple weeks of each other with release depending on if any issues were found...

as is TMO has yet to kick out the update either... as pointed out here

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/150995

as well as here

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-38754

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

This is disappointing. I guess my main concern is that they seem to be pushing the V50 a lot lately so I feel ike support for this phone just is not a priority. Coupled with a combination of being told to wait and a few straight up lies from customer service and I just get frustrated.

GrandMaster

LG isnt exactly the quickest when it comes to kicking out carrier specific updates...never have been...as is since LG must create different versions for each carrier they are going to release differently since they cant exactly get them all cleared at the same time with testing etc..

dependent on issues ran into during testing the updates are usually pushed out within a week or two of each other carrier wise..again..dependent on what issues are ran into.

if you want prompt updates upon release i recommend avoiding carrier specific devices and stick to the Google Pixel line since those come directly from the source.

it cant be that disappointing..you said all three of the other carriers have released it already and that it was a security concern..yet one of said 3 released it the day before you posted and the other hasnt even kicked it out yet..i didnt even bother looking at ATT since i can already guess that if they did actually release it, it was within a week or two ish of V kicking theirs out.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I received an unannounced security update last friday so thats good, but still no feature updates. Is there any new information about the Pi upgrade?

Highlighted

There's not yet but we will let everyone know as soon as there is news.

"Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I'm feeling a connection."
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat