cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v60 behaves oddly sometimes when using Sprint tower

Highlighted
Journeyman

v60 behaves oddly sometimes when using Sprint tower

I've observed the following behavior on my v60 when in a place that has no T-Mobile coverage and is forced to connect to certain Sprint bands (seems to often involved 800 MHz).

1.) The phone connects to LTE.
2.) The phone *briefly* displays the VoLTE icon, but it almost immediately disappears as if the connection has failed.

3.) The LTE indicator switches to R, indicating roaming.

4.) The radio completely resets, and begins searching anew for a network. (A particularly obnoxious side effect is that this cause to Android Auto to disconnect/reconnect as well)

When the phone *does* behave well on Sprint 1900, I note that it doesn't attempt to connect to VoLTE. I suspect that it's not supposed to use VoLTE on a Sprint tower and that's the problem?

I had a call with Tech Support about a month ago, and resetting the profile/data settings is not a fix. 

Thankfully, coverage is fine at home on the T-Mobile network. But having the radio reset twice per minute when in marginal coverage is very annoying, especially when it messes with Android Auto navigation.

61 REPLIES 61
Highlighted

How long have you been experiencing this issue? Does it happen everywhere or at a specific location?

Highlighted

For me it has only been in one location, but I have not yet traveled since receiving and activating the device, but from vinniemacs experience I don't see how it wouldn't happen somewhere without TMobile coverage but Sprint coverage is available. This is a programming error on Sprint's towers or on the device. It is getting kicked off of a tower it should be able to connect to when it tries to register VoLTE, which on this device cannot be disabled since it is a 5G device.

Highlighted

Is it a consistent issue?

Highlighted

or its something with those specific towers..i flip flop between TMO and Sprint towers with zero issues. heck im currently on TMO 5G right now and havent had anything happen since i have activated it a few weeks ago

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

That is a possibility, I PM'd Will with the address if he wants to investigate it. Before I got the V60 my G7 would stick consistently on B25 inside and B41 when outside, then drop to B26 or 3G(Occasionally it would grab T-Mobile roaming on B2) when I would go into the restroom at my job.

This issue didn't start until I got the V60 and 5G. I was just hoping to get some attention to this issue and maybe get a solution other than your in a fringe service area.

I only tagged Will because this post had stagnated after a Sprint rep said it was because of the low coverage but didn't offer any workaround or solution to the problem.

It consistently started exhibiting this behavior every time I entered the restroom today and I had to reboot to get it to stop.

Highlighted
Community Manager

@estradakidz2 I responded to your PM with the following:

Just a kick glance at it, this is what I think is going on. With that V60, it is 5G steered, meaning it will look for TMo first.  What we've seen is those devices hold on to TMo signals no matter how weak they are. Looking at the area, it's Excellent for TMo 5G and Good for TMo 4G.  Now add in that metal roof of the gas station, then what was once Excellent goes to good/fair and what was Good is now fair/none.  I see this every time I pull into stations with those roofs and lose my satellite radio.

So, what I think is happening the device is cycling radios.  5G is weak or none, the device starts its cycle to drop down and is going through its progression and then...whoa...a hint of 5G is back and it jumps back up to that and it's fool's gold and back through the cycle.

I can submit a ticket if you like, but I think they will reach the same conclusion.  It's up to you.

Highlighted

This doesn't explain why VoLTE fails while on Sprint towers.

The phone sometimes gets stuck in this cycle where T-mobile 5G is present. It won't leave Sprint but keeps cycling. (like when leaving a basement).

It also does this behavior where there is no T-mobile showing up in Signal Check.

Highlighted

He doesn't believe it is a VoLTE issue according to the PM he sent me, even though it is when VoLTE registers that causes the radio reset. I think that something is telling the device that it should be in a TMO coverage area and that it shouldn't be on Sprint towers but it is and it starts freaking out because it won't search for the TMO towers first like it is supposed to in this situation instead it just keeps jumping back to Sprint towers for who knows how long. I let it stay in this state for over an hour on Fri while I was working and it was still doing it.

Highlighted

A reboot is usually required if the behavior occurs with a strong T-Mobile signal present. I've never seen it resolve itself.

Highlighted

20200824_193737.gif

Example of what happens.

No T-Mobile here.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

you're connected to the in better in building signal..but man its barely hanging on by a wire there signal wise..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

But then shouldn't it just drop down to evdo(3g) then and then retry the LTE connection later. This is what previous devices would do.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat