cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v60 behaves oddly sometimes when using Sprint tower

Highlighted
Journeyman

v60 behaves oddly sometimes when using Sprint tower

I've observed the following behavior on my v60 when in a place that has no T-Mobile coverage and is forced to connect to certain Sprint bands (seems to often involved 800 MHz).

1.) The phone connects to LTE.
2.) The phone *briefly* displays the VoLTE icon, but it almost immediately disappears as if the connection has failed.

3.) The LTE indicator switches to R, indicating roaming.

4.) The radio completely resets, and begins searching anew for a network. (A particularly obnoxious side effect is that this cause to Android Auto to disconnect/reconnect as well)

When the phone *does* behave well on Sprint 1900, I note that it doesn't attempt to connect to VoLTE. I suspect that it's not supposed to use VoLTE on a Sprint tower and that's the problem?

I had a call with Tech Support about a month ago, and resetting the profile/data settings is not a fix. 

Thankfully, coverage is fine at home on the T-Mobile network. But having the radio reset twice per minute when in marginal coverage is very annoying, especially when it messes with Android Auto navigation.

61 REPLIES 61
Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

Hi! This could be caused by moving into an area with lower coverage. Is this experienced in one specific area? Send me nearest cross streets and ZIP code to the problem location in a private message. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

My device will do the same thing if I go into the bathroom at my job(a metal box). I will move back into an are where I should and consistently do have a 5G connection with Band 66 as the anchor band. The only ways that I know to fix it is to toggle airplane mode, power cycle, or change the network type to 3G only and then back to automatic or 5G/LTE mode. Here is a 30 second screen recording of it actively showing  this behavior.

Screen recording 

Hopefully this behavior gets patched soon, as I am not sure if it actively causes battery drain or not since I always toggle airplane mode as soon as I see this happening.

Highlighted

@Em_Will_I_Am do you have any ideas on what could be causing this behavior?

It seems as though when the device tries to register VoLTE on a Sprint band it gets kicked off and resets for about 30 mins until it finds the TMobile bands again and registers immediately on VoLTE and 5G if it is available. I would try toggling VoLTE but it is greyed out for me.

Also, I tried calling my number from another line and when in this state it will sometimes go directly to voicemail and other times it will ring.

Data services seem to work fine during this, not sure if there is any impact to messaging as the contacts I normally message are Chat enabled.

Thanks again for all you do!

Highlighted

I can confirm the VoLTE behavior persists.

For me, VoLTE failing will sometimes cause the roaming flag to display, followed by a radio reset that briefly causes data to be lost.

Highlighted

I've tested an V60 here in OKC and Vegas and did not witness that issue.  Looking at your video, it appears you are in bad coverage.  The V60 is a 5G steered device, meaning it looks for T-Mobile first.  Then drops down and looks for Sprint.  If you are going from TMo to Sprint to Roaming...coverage must not be that good.  PM the problem address and I can check.

Highlighted

Yes, this does start after I enter a low coverage area but I am only in there for 15 mins max. It will normally stay on TMobile, sometimes drops to band 71 LTE but others it will start doing this. I typically have strong 5G coverage in the same area just not inside the bathroom at my job. After a reboot or multiple Airplane Mode toggles it will reconnect to TMobiles 5G network.

Highlighted

To back up his story,

I experience this behavior where there is *no* T-mobile coverage but adequate Sprint coverage.

The phone *never* successfully attains VoLTE on a Sprint tower *but* when it decides to try it doesn't go well.

Highlighted

Hey, just to confirm, is your device software up to date? 

Highlighted

Yes.

Highlighted

Same here, software version V600TM10s

Highlighted

Does the issue occur at a specific location or everywhere? Also, please provide your nearest cross street and ZIP code so that I can check out the coverage in the area. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat