cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v60 behaves oddly sometimes when using Sprint tower

Highlighted
Journeyman

v60 behaves oddly sometimes when using Sprint tower

I've observed the following behavior on my v60 when in a place that has no T-Mobile coverage and is forced to connect to certain Sprint bands (seems to often involved 800 MHz).

1.) The phone connects to LTE.
2.) The phone *briefly* displays the VoLTE icon, but it almost immediately disappears as if the connection has failed.

3.) The LTE indicator switches to R, indicating roaming.

4.) The radio completely resets, and begins searching anew for a network. (A particularly obnoxious side effect is that this cause to Android Auto to disconnect/reconnect as well)

When the phone *does* behave well on Sprint 1900, I note that it doesn't attempt to connect to VoLTE. I suspect that it's not supposed to use VoLTE on a Sprint tower and that's the problem?

I had a call with Tech Support about a month ago, and resetting the profile/data settings is not a fix. 

Thankfully, coverage is fine at home on the T-Mobile network. But having the radio reset twice per minute when in marginal coverage is very annoying, especially when it messes with Android Auto navigation.

59 REPLIES 59
Highlighted
GrandMaster

i cant even tell you the last time my phone..or any of my previous phones ever dropped to 3G.. if im thinking right its going to prioritize the TMO signal...wonder if they changed their network mode away from automatic 4G/LTE CDMA instead of the auto 5G/4G LTE/CDMA. might force it to pull in a different signal..heck there could be issues with the closest tower and theyre pulling from a further out tower.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

This phone *does* drop to 3G in the right conditions. I've seen several times.

Highlighted

The places that I have experienced this issue are place that my older devices would drop to 3G but this one hasn't. I did a few tests earlier with 5G turned off and it didn't experience this issue but I need to do more tests to confirm.

Highlighted

yeah im thinking its making TMO towers priority even if its barely a signal instead of dropping accordingly.  again most of the places i go currently i have pretty solid signal minus my moms place..but i just connect up to her wifi.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

I have a co-worker that has the same phone but is on a TMO account, she can go into the same place I have this issue and her device stays connected but she recently disabled 5G due to connection issues(would show data is available but it wouldn't load and her chat features for Google Messages kept disconnecting). I know comparing Native TMO coverage vs Sprint Coverage isn't exactly how this works but it should be a similar experience.

Highlighted

Screenshots_2020-08-25-13-48-12.png

 Proof the it happens... Was in a basement office.

Highlighted

you cant expect much in a scenario like that though...

@vinniemac2742 wrote:

Screenshots_2020-08-25-13-48-12.png

 Proof the it happens... Was in a basement office.

Highlighted

You've miss the point completely. An early post suggested that it doesn't drop to 3G. It does.

In fact, the connection it's MORE stable on 800 3G than if the LTE signal involves 800.

LTE on 800 or WITH a dual connection with 1X 800 as fallback seems to be the issue.

Highlighted

I wasn't trying to say that the device won't fall back to 3G, I was saying in the situation I have had is where my older devices would fall to 3G is where this device is having the LTE error.

I personally have yet to see it go to 3G on its own but I am sure it would and does.

I was also saying that if the LTE signal was as weak as @fireguy_6364 was saying shouldn't the device drop to 3G instead of getting stuck in this loop.

Highlighted

i think the phone is going to try everything it can to stick to a LTE signal..with us being allowed to use TMO towers its pulling signal from one of those..even if its not usable and basically sticking to it because it can still read that its there.

its still a bit new to fully grasp how things are working/not working with us being able to use their towers..pros/cons i mean..

Highlighted

The thing is, when it gets stuck in a loop like this it will sometimes continue EVEN WHEN there's t-mobile available again.

I've had to reboot to stop the behavior.

Highlighted

you can probably avoid having to do the reboot and just switch the phone into airplane mode then back again.

cant remember but did you already try a different sim card? i just havent been in any areas with that drastic of issues network wise...

one other thing to keep in mind..this phone is still quite new...yet we have not seen any network updates/adjustments/device fixes or adjustments as of yet..which always happens with new devices..so there might still be something in the works from LG that is going to come through to adjust things..

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat