cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9230 : Message sent using invalid number of digits... Msg 2114

18 REPLIES
Journeyman

THANKS PUGELS!!!  I got my Epic 4G back in August 2011 and the only way this issue was fixed was with the new release.  But the new release has many new issues such as dropped calls and poor voice quality on random calls.

Wizard

Hello karmarecycles, While EI22 does correct the problem where the Epic will drop area code for SMS threads it will not reinsert them in conversations where the areacode is missing from the number.

Journeyman

I was hoping gingerbread would fix it but it didn't. this did:

The resolution posted by PUGELS1 on 8/18 is what worked for me, no data loss, no backup, no hassle.

Epic 4g phone.

Here is the fix. I have tested it and it works.

First  the issue is you once texted someone with a 7 digit number. Most likely  becuase you stored them in your contacts that way. Even if you update  the contact info it will always drop the area code from all future  messages to that person. Everyone that was stored correctly will message  correctly. Deleting the contact and reinstalling them will not work.  Importing the contact again will not work. Deleting the message thread  and starting a new thread will not work.

Here is what you need to do.

Clear data in the Dialer and Dialer storage.... under manage Applications> All.

That  is Settings - Applications - Choose All to view All choices - then find  Dialer and clear the Data. Repeat this for the Dialer Storage as well.

I  personally also deleted the message thread first from the text message  window and my log history which is a menu item from your call screen.

This process will not delete all your contacts.

The only other fix to this problem is to reset back to factory defaults. I don't suggest this at all.

Good to go afterwards!...

Problem  2:  If you have connected to Google, Tango, Facebook or any other  backup program the incorrect 7 digit phone number may be stored there as  well.  You need to open your google account and correct all the phone  numbers to 10 digits.  You can also turn off the sync feature so that  google doesn't sync the incorrect phone number back to your phone.   After you have completed these steps to correct your backup of phone  numbers and the syncing of phone numbers complete the steps at the top  of this message to clear your Dialer and Dialer Storage.  When you send  text messages it pulls the formatting of the phone number from these  locations from the first time you sent a text message to that person  using the incorrect format. If you don't clear the date it will keep  pulling from them.  Its like deleting your temporary internet files from  your Internet Explorer. The next time you go to a page that should  remember your user name and password it doesn't becuase you cleaned out  all the cookies.  Clearing the dialer data does the same thing as well  as the Dialer Stoage.

Wizard

Hello Epic users, in case you were not aware, The software update to EI22/gingerbread is being pushed to the Epics, one of the included fixes is for this SMS error.

Journeyman

Re: 9230 : Message sent using invalid number of digits... Msg 2114

Thank you so much for posting this fix.  My daughter was extremely upset to find that she couldn't reply to text messages from or even call one of her friends on her new phone. 

The fix you posted took care of everything and now she's made sure that all of her contacts have an area code listed so she won't run into this problem again.

Message was edited by: ANGIE.57

Her phone is the Samsung Replenish.

Journeyman

This worked!  Thanks so much  PUGELS1!  Why can't sprint come up with an answer if users can!

Journeyman

Hi PUGELS1,

Thanx soooooooo much for ur fix..it actually WORKED!!! I have an Epic 4g and was having the exact same probs w/only one contact # - my husband on the same Sprint acct, possibly because I initially saved his contact # w/only 7 digits. U were exactly right about all the deleting and re-installing - never worked. At 1st, I thought ur fix did not work, since after I cleared the dialer data and tried to test a msg, totally different contact #s came up, but after turning off my phone (as a reboot) all contacts were still there and correct #s came up when messaging.

Journeyman

Here is the fix. I have tested it and it works.

First the issue is you once texted someone with a 7 digit number. Most likely becuase you stored them in your contacts that way. Even if you update the contact info it will always drop the area code from all future messages to that person. Everyone that was stored correctly will message correctly. Deleting the contact and reinstalling them will not work. Importing the contact again will not work. Deleting the message thread and starting a new thread will not work.

Here is what you need to do.

Clear data in the Dialer and Dialer storage.... under manage Applications> All.

That is Settings - Applications - Choose All to view All choices - then find Dialer and clear the Data. Repeat this for the Dialer Storage as well.

I personally also deleted the message thread first from the text message window and my log history which is a menu item from your call screen.

This process will not delete all your contacts.

The only other fix to this problem is to reset back to factory defaults. I don't suggest this at all.

Good to go afterwards!...

Wizard

To users of the Samsung Epic, please post regarding this matter here. This problem has been documented, and is being investigated. We anticipate this will be resolved in a pending software update. for those experiencing this problem it is suggested that you clear your call log, then delete the messaging conversation and contact, in this states some users find that if the other party send them an SMS it will show as it came from a 7 digit number, some have found that if they create the contact again and place a direct message shortcut on the main screen they are able to text from there. but in short software is being developed and tested to counteract this problem.

Journeyman

Good Luck with that. Mine (an epic also and my husbands also) has been doing that for over 2 months. There is no known fix for it. It's irritating. I've been to the sprint store, have been in contact with the executive secretary of the ceo...basically you just have to live with it until there is a fix.