cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone else get charged "casual data" from picture messaging?

Journeyman

I have been having issues with Sprint since I changed my plan from Everything Data to Everything Messaging. To send picture mail, I have been getting "casual data" charges, since every picture message uses data, according to one representative. If I am paying for picture messaging in my plan, WHY am I getting charged data usage, if all picture mail uses data? Picture mail data should be included in my plan. If not, why am I wasting my money on a plan that is a LIE. I have had many issues with representatives. I finally got the charges credited, and there was no problem until this last bill. I got charged AGAIN. The rep I spoke to said that I wasn't getting charged for picture mail, I was getting charged for the data used to send it, and it was b/c of the type of phone I have. 1st of all, Why am I getting charged for data if all picture mail uses it- it should be part of the plan! 2nd of all, why am I being penalized for the type of phone that I have? That makes NO Sense. Also, I have had a few very RUDE reps. I have been hung up on, not listened to, disrespected, etc. Sprint is about to lose 2 more customers.

I just wanted to know if anyone else was having the same problems?

10 REPLIES 10
Wizard

What type of phone do you have? This is the plan we were going to switch to if we ever upgrade phones - because it includes unlimited text, video and picture mail. Supposedly....

Master

Re: Does anyone else get charged "casual data" from picture messaging?

Everything messaging plan includes Sprint Picture Mail(Domestic unlimited messaging (text, picture, video, and audio)No charge for data usage associated with Picture Mail services.

These are the only time you get data charges when you

1.      Receive Picture Mail message with a link other than pictures.sprintpcs.com.

2.      Access the Web browser on the phone/Locate Web pages such as social network sites like Face book, My Space, YouTube, and Photo Bucket. Log on to the Web page (if required). View pictures.

3.      Access the Web browser on the phone. Type a URL or select Digital Lounge. View pictures.

4.      Compose an e-mail from the Internet Web browser or e-mail application on the phone. (Gmail, AOL, Hotmail, Yahoo!, and so on).Attach a picture from the phone. Choose Send.

5.      Access Sprint Picture Mail on the phone. Select Post to Service. Select a Web site type such as Face book or My Space. Continue with posting pictures.

6.      Access the Web browser on the phone. Type a URL or select Digital Lounge. Locate the picture. Download the image and agree to any download charges that may apply.

7.      Access the Web browser on the phone.

8.      Locate Web pages such as social network sites like Face book, My Space, YouTube, and Photo Bucket. Log on to the Web page (if required). Download pictures to the phone.

9.      Access Pictures or Photos from the main menu on the phone. Select a picture. Choose Print. Select Retail Pickup. Complete the order process from the menu.

Hope this info helps.

Abe

Journeyman

I have the Rumor touch. The messages are free- but every picture and video message uses data supposedly which is what i was charged. Which is really dumb.

Journeyman

No, that is not true. I dont get messages with links in them, I do not access the web browser or go on FB and stuff, I do not go online period, I do not compose emails, I do not post ppictures online, I do none of that and STILL get charged. The rep even told me it was from picture messaging that the charges were coming from.

Master

Is the phone your using a Rumor touch?

OOPS! I just seen in your post above the last one it is a Rumor Touch, This is a KNOWN ISSUE with this phone, For some reason it has caused many to be charged for Pic/Vid messages when they are sent/received correctly. You should call and ask to speak to account services and see if they can apply the MultiMedia $0 code to your account. I have a friend who got charged for over a year before they applied it and she hasn't been charged since.

Master

We can actually verify the "casual data events" with time stamps in our billing system.  If these time stamps for the picture and video messages from our pictures web site match the times for your casual data events, then yes, you would have been billed incorrectly.  Conversely, if your picturemail time stamps match instead the other type of data event, "picture mail", and it shows a $0 charge for that event, then you were not billed for that picture mail.  We have a process for sending the customer a report with the actual web detail (URL's) which coincide to these billed "casual data events."  You can request this report by private messaging me, just click on my avatar.  

Tom

Journeyman

They wont tell you that it is a known issue! They just keep trying to make excuses.I was not aware of the multimedia $0 code. I will try that. Thanks.

Journeyman

Highlighted
Journeyman

Apparently representatives do not know about the issue. I have brought this up, but because all of the documentation I could find was from 2008 to early 2010, they said that was old, so it didnt count. I will be researching how to file a complaint myself for False Advertisement to whatever agency I can.

Journeyman

Tom,

It's nice to see someone from Sprint actively participating in these forums.  I hope that you relay customer feedback up the chain, rather than simply handling issues on a tactical basis.  What brings me to this thread is that I have experienced the same thing...getting nickel and dimed for sending pictures/videos on my Unlimited Messaging Plan.  I wrote to Sprint, telling them that this was ridiculous, and asking them to provide me with details of the casual data usage, to prove that we had actually used the web vs. simply sending texts.  I got a call from someone in the 703 area code explaining that they could only provide that information to me under the order of a subpeona.  Again, ridiculous.  But more importantly, it contradicts what you said in your post above...that you can provide time stamp reports to match up the various types of usage. But why am I in a situation where I have to pursue such reports in the first place?  And then I read about the secret Multimedia $0 code.  So I, the customer, have to actively request a code so as not to be charged extra for something that is implicitly included with my plan?  Are you kidding?  And then there's the issue with the screen on my 2 LG Rumor Touch phones cracking, by themselves, on the inside, and the service center telling me that it is not covered under warranty, and that I have to sign up for insurance to get them fixed.  Which I did.  But before getting one of them fixed, I sent it in to LG to see what they would say...and they said nothing, other than to return the fixed phone to me with a packing slip that said "Warranty Repair".  Oops.  I guess the service center was wrong.  Actually, they've been wrong for a couple of years, based on the complaints I can easily find on the internet.  So what do I want from my post?  I want you to understand that while the Sprint service is fine (works well, good coverage, etc) the company seems to be heading in the same direction as AT&T (remember when they would charge you a high rate per minute for long distance, but all you had to do was call them and ask for a lower rate).  It seems that Sprint is putting more effort into getting that extra nickel from its customers, rather than simply providing a good overall experience.  How many Sprint employees are dedicated to (and have standard answers for) these issues?  Imagine how Sprint's image would improve if they eliminated all of the game playing, and just did things correctly the first time?  But then again, maybe I have a warped sense of business...maybe Sprint is much more profitable by nickel and diming everyone for a few dollars a month for casual data usage, and continuing to sell phones that have known manufacturing defects, so that they can collect the monthly insurance premiums.  So please pass this along to the higher ups...you should be striving for the Ronco motto: set it and forget it.  Rather than me having to constantly monitor you, as you've now established yourself as an untrusty source.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.