cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I text over WiFi

Highlighted
Journeyman

How can I text over WiFi

Thanks to the loss of Google Voice integration, I can no longer receive texts in my house because I get no service. How can I text over WiFi now? I see a chat option over WiFi in my message app, but it says the other person has to have it enabled too, so pretty much worthless. 

7 REPLIES 7
Sprint Social Care

Re: How can I text over WiFi

Good morning! Sorry tor read you are having issues. What's the make and model of your device? Also, post your closest cross streets and ZIP code so that we can further assist you.

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I have an HTC U11. My zip code is 32034, but I'm not comfortable posting my cross streets publicly. 

This morning I tried to turn on WiFi Calling, which I haven't used in at least six months. It appears there's been some sort of update because now it's telling me I have to cancel Google Voice to use it. I'm hoping that means my texts will work through that feature once I turn off Google Voice. 

Sprint Social Care

Understood kristi_ann81! Google Voice and Calling Plus (as WiFi calling has been renamed) are not compatible with one another. If you need Calling Plus on your phone Google Voice integration, you have to disable it. In order to do so, please follow these steps:

1. Go to Google Voice and log on with Google Account information.
  2. Click phone number or click Settings
  3. Click Voice Settings.
  4. In Settings, click Disable.
  5. At prompt, click Disable Sprint Account.

Please let us know if you were able to use Wi-Fi calling.

• Note: Disabling the Sprint account will remove it from the Google Voice account.
      • All existing voicemail and text messages will remain available in the inbox.

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I've read that Calling Plus only works on select phones. Does it work on the HTC U11 yet? I don't want to disconnect Google Voice only to find that I still can't text over WiFi because my phone doesn't get Calling Plus. I understand the Google Voice integration will end shortly anyway, but I don't want to cancel it until I know I've found a solution. 

GrandMaster

wifi calling itself is what the texts will be sending across. calling plus itself is two different abilities..wifi calling and then the ability to do both talk and surf while connected to LTE.

https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/services/faqs-about-wi-fi-calling.html

Android phones: Both SMS (text) and MMS (pictures and group texts) messaging is supported in Wi-Fi Calling mode.

iOS phones: SMS (text) is supported in Wi-Fi Calling mode. MMS (pictures and group texts) requires cellular coverage. Apple's iMessage to other iOS devices is supported over Wi-Fi.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

The person who responded earlier in the thread from Sprint Customer Care said Wi-Fi Calling us now called Calling Plus. Seems like maybe they merged.
GrandMaster

they did. when calling plus came out they merged together WFC and the ability to do both calls/surf the web while connected to LTE. it would seem i forgot to bookmark the calling plus info but the wifi calling side of it still works for that link i provided..only difference is talk about the other side.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.