cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messages server

Journeyman

Messages server

I'm wondring why I cannot recieve arabic letters in messages!

All I got is something like "' D - E / D D G   9   ' D 3 D ' E G" which make no sense even though my phone does read and write arabic letters.

Could it be that Sprint server does not recognize arabic letters and it send back as mixed English letters and symbols?!

9 REPLIES 9
Wizard

Re: Messages server

I found someone here at Sprint who may know the answer but he's asking what phone you have to confirm.  What model are you using?

Journeyman

I'm using HTC EVO.

Thanks for your replay

Sprint Product Ambassador

You say you can read and write Arabic on the device.  How are you doing this?  With an application?  Since there is no native Arabic language support on Android today I assume you are using an application.  If so, that application would have to have hooks into the messaging client on the device for you to be able to read/write Arabic in that app.  It's not somethign that's handled at the server level, it would have to be rendered on the device.

Journeyman

I'm not using any additional apps for reading Arabic messages. My phone starts reading Arabic after the Froyo update (Android 2.2). I do use Arabic keyboard just to write Arabic and I used several keyboards. I don't think it has something to do with the keyboard apps. The problem appear when I send or receive any Arabic sms. But when I use Google talk or any chat apps everything looks perfect.

Journeyman

I sent my friend an Arabic "MMS" today and it works without problem, he can read it without an issue.

The problem is only with "SMS" sending and recieving.

Hi.

The problem is that we support a 7-bit character implementation on our SMS gateways whereas Arabic is 16-bit, thus the reason for the messages coming out as gibberish to you.  As suspected, the gateway cannot make sense of character sets more than twice it’s bit-rate to understand.  There was a project some time ago to support Japanese at the gateway which is also 16-bit support and would then include Arabic but I think it’s only Sprint mobile to Sprint mobile and not intercarrier. 

I’m waiting on details around that and will reply when I have more information.

Thanks for your patience.  This is taking more time to confirm than I would like.

Thanks.

Matt

Matt is one of our deep wizards - I want to thank him for taking the time to come out here and follow up on this.  Very good info!

Will

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Dear mattvalenz001,

You are right. I sent my-self an Arabic SMS, and I received what I sent without a problem. It looks like the problem is only when I get them from other carriers. I hope you guys can make the gateway support 16-bit even with inter-carrier not just with sprint to sprint mobile. I do receive all of my Arabic messages from other carriers (international and domestic). My friends were about to move to sprint but they changed their minds because of this issue. I appreciate your helpful answer

Best regards,

Journeyman

Thanks for bringing up this issue. Arabic and Persian are not supported naively on HTC EVO since they are not supported by Android. After Froyo update we can see separate characters but both of these scripts are cursive scripts and then characters need reshaping. Reshaping is a simple feature and should be supported by Android platform but unfortunately no one cares about this and we can just see separate characters. It is really frustrating that we cannot use Arabic and Persian on HTC EVO. Formerly there was an application that fixed this problem but unfortunately after update to OTA 3.7 it does not work anymore. I persuaded my family to switch form T-mobile and At&T to Sprint to use EVO but the result is not convenient, we cannot read Persian on this device.

Any of the Sprint folks has any idea whether this problem will be solved soon?

Thanks

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.