Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Occasionally receive Picture Mail for text-only messages

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Every now and again, I will receive a text-only message from someone who is already in my contacts, but it comes through as a Picture Mail message.  To clarify, these messages are meant to contain text only, then are not missing a photo that should be there.

It looks like this (items in [] represent a variable, not the actual value I'm seeing):

9000: New Pciture Mail from [phonenumber]!

Click Go/View to see.

[URL]

_frsthgl

[Day, MMM x, YYYY, HH:MM AM/PM]

This has happened more than once, with more than one contact, for as long as I've had this phone (a little less than a year).  Thing is, I've received perfectly normal text-only messages from the same contacts in the past.

On a related note, I've received texts with images attached where the photo appears within the text interface, but then also received texts where the message plus the image comes through as a Picture Mail message instead, same as above.  This can also happen with separate messages that originate from the same sender, like the issue I mentioned above.  I'd really prefer the former to the latter, if there's a way to specify.

I've seen both issues from senders on the Sprint network, as well as on other networks, using Android (the very same model of phone, even) and iOS.

Is this some sort of out of network/roaming resolution thing?  Or something else?

Thanks for any information you can offer,

Pd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Master

The wireless industry is changing how text messages are delivered - and using an MMS format allows for longer messages and more data. The messaging gateways are upgrading and are at different statuses for different carriers dependent on location/provisioning. It is most prominent with iPhone and Android but in a few years will be the norm.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Master

The wireless industry is changing how text messages are delivered - and using an MMS format allows for longer messages and more data. The messaging gateways are upgrading and are at different statuses for different carriers dependent on location/provisioning. It is most prominent with iPhone and Android but in a few years will be the norm.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

View solution in original post

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.