cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T9 Texting Fans Unite

Journeyman

T9 Texting Fans Unite

Texting used to be easy. It was a quick one handed means of communication. Recently however, T9 keypads have dissapeared on many phones. Would you like a physical T9 keypad on a touch screen Android phone? Some android phones have a physical QWERTY and also an onscreen QWERTY. Seems like redundancy to me. QWERTY has a use for sure but, would you agree one handed texting is easier with a physical T9? Check out my poll in the family community. Make a vote. Sprint needs to know what we want. Here are some examples of a touch screen phone with a T9. The 1st pic is a Sharp Aquos phone (available in Japan) the 2nd is Lumigon (available in Denmark).  Feel free to leave a reply here also. Do you think an android touch screen phone with a physical T9 Keypad would be a popular device?

8 REPLIES
Journeyman

Texting used to be easy

Texting sucks and was unusable before qwerty keyboards..... I sent about 10 text before I got a real keyboard.....

Sprint Employee

Texting used to be easy

I don't believe that the newer Aquos phones from Sharp have a keyboard or keypad, and Lumigon is still redesigning their new line which was announced over a year ago. With Swype you are able to text far quicker and easier than T9 or triple tap would have made possible, and as a result I would imagine that androids from now on will sport the beloved QWERTY, of not then only an onscreen QWERTY.

Journeyman

Texting used to be easy

Being able to text one handed or text without looking at the screen is something I value. Does no one else? I may be a rare texter but I don't think I am. It might be worth making an android touchscreen with a physical T9 and see how popular it is. I know I'm bucking the system here but someone's got to. Is this a pipe dream? Does Sprint take suggestions like this if enough people want it? If you like T9, be heard!

Wizard

Texting used to be easy

I know that there are some keyboard apps in the android market that that work like a T9. This, of course, is an on-screen keyboard and is a farcry from texting one-handing without looking. I haven't heard anything about any future smartphones using a t9-type set up. It seems like it could work well, but I'm not sure that there is enough of a market for manufacturers to seriously consider it. Have you tried using Swype? I love it! After I got used to it I can text, to an extent, without looking. Best of luck!

-Donnie

Journeyman

Texting used to be easy

I have used swipe and I like it. However swipe cannot be used while holding something in your left hand and texting with your right. I figured the manufacturers would listen to a company like sprint if enough of their customers showed interest in such a phone. It seems I am a rare breed though. So long to the physical numeric keypad

Master

Texting used to be easy

Filho wrote:

I have used swipe and I like it. However swipe cannot be used while holding something in your left hand and texting with your right. I figured the manufacturers would listen to a company like sprint if enough of their customers showed interest in such a phone. It seems I am a rare breed though. So long to the physical numeric keypad

I have no problems texting one-handed with Swype on my Epic 4G Touch. I do have fairly large hands though. so it may have to do with how it fits into my hand personally.

Journeyman

Re: T9 Texting Fans Unite

I hate qwerty for the same reason, I can't type one handed without looking at the screen. I also hate swype for the same reason. Even while looking at the screen SWYPE makes mistakes EVERY time I text. I hate it. Anytime I want to type "work" it types "quirk" and doesn't let me select "work" so I have to type it one letter at a time and it won't let me save it to the dictionary. There are nonsense words it won't let me delete as well. I want T9 back. I would love a touch screen phone if I could do the texting with a physical classic keypad.

Wizard

Re: T9 Texting Fans Unite

Depending on the phone model, you should be able to go into your settings on your phone, change the keyboard settings to 'phone keypad' instead of qwerty... Obviously it's not physical, but may make due if you are not liking qwerty or swype as much as you say.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.