Did you mean: 

Texting to Canada

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Texting to Canada

Sounds great! Thank you very much.

Wizard

Regardless of whether you're on Sprint or Nextel, text messages sent to and received from CANADA are covered by your plan if it has text messaging included or by a separate messaging plan add-on if you have it (e.g., 300, 1000 or unlimited messages).  If you only have a pool of n text messages to play with each month, then the messages will come out of that pool.  If you go over, you pay $.20 just like for any domestic or international text. Look at these texts just like any other texts you send within the U.S.  If you have a plan that includes unlimited messaging, you can send as many texts to Canada as you like.

Journeyman

Alright... so this means that I can send text messages to Canada if I have a plan that has unlimited text messages? Or a certain amount of text messages I can send? Sorry if I am repeating anything! lol. I've heard lots of different answers, so I'm very confused.

Thank you!

Journeyman

Actually any Nextel phone running solely on iDEN should be able to send and receive international text messages for free, the only Nextel phones that will charge you for international messages are the “Hybrid” models.  I totally agree with Quasijedi, Nextel ROCKS!

Wizard

Regarding texting to Canada, here is what I confirmed with the Pricing folks:  "If a customer sends or receives a text with a Canada number, then that record will rate against the subscriber's underlying domestic text bucket. Said another way, Canada texts are rated like text messages from any domestic location, e.g., California, Utah, New York, or Florida.

Now the underlying plan is the key. If there is no text messages included in the plan then those Canada texts will rate at $0.20. If the customer has 100 texts included and a Canada message is # 101 then it will  rate at $0.20 as well as # 102 from Nevada will rate at $0.20 and so on."

Regarding international texting from iDEN devices, the $.20 charge also applies to iDEN phones, however, certain iDEN devices can send them free of charge.  If you have one of those phones, consider yourself lucky.

It totally amazes me how Sprint CDMA users get bent over backwards over and over for any and all international texts send/received.  However, on the Nextel iDEN network, I get international messaging for...get this...FREE!  Just proving yet one more way that Sprint is lousy and Nextel ROCKS!

BTW, for the record, I text to the UK (obivously international) and have been doing so for the past what...13 years...and have never once been billed for it.  Gotta love iDEN!  Try doing that with your precious CDMA/EVDO phones.

Journeyman

Hi...I was just reading up on this. So texting would be included in your texting plan? So additional charges?

Wizard

I had received wrong information but now have good news for you:  The product manager for SMS confirmed that texting to Canada is considered domestic, so they are either included in your plan or add-on, or you pay the standard domestic rate.

Journeyman

Yes, that's the list I was referring to.  Thank you very much  =))

Wizard

Yes, texting to Canada is considered international texting.  We've asked to have Canada added to this page: http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Country_codes_for_international_text_messages/case-ba41675....  I'm assuming that's the one you were referring to, right?

Claudia