cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

text messaging problem

34 REPLIES
Wizard

text messaging problem

To make it easier for customers to find information on these issues and not have so many discussions out there, let's use the thread at http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/311942#311942 where I posted an update about the various problems.  Thank you.

Journeyman

text messaging problem

I'm also experiencing this, as well as general signal availability problems.  My solution: switch to Verizon when contract is up.

Journeyman

text messaging problem

Journeyman

text messaging problem

I am not having the same problems as the people with the split text messages recieing 0001/0002 errors, yet the discussion here:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/70607?start=60&tstart=0

was locked. Since the issue is network related its fair to assume that the issues may be related, but I just wanted to make sure that fixes will occur to people like me that simply get blank messages from users of non-sprint carriers.

Journeyman

text messaging problem

After about a month of this happening, I decided to see what I could  do to correct it. I had several of my friends (ones that I was seeing  the problem occur from) send me several text messages of varying lengths  to try and have as much data as possible for the phone call I was  ablout to make.

After several test text messages I had it narrowed down to

0. The issue was happening on multiple handsets and multiple  versions of OSes, so it was most likely a network issue. (I learned this  from researching and reading posts like this one)

1. The  messages were split into three seperate SMSes on my phone if the sms  message was over 160 characters. The first message was always prepended  with 0001/0002, the second message was always prepended with 0002/0002,  and the 3rd message was not prepended with anything.

2. It was happening on sms messages sent from tmobile, but not  sms messages sent from sprint subscribers. (I have an EVO and I'm a  sprint subscriber)

I kept all of the test sms messages that I worked with as well as all phone numbers involved as information for the phone call I was going to make.

So  yesterday (7/7/2011) I called Sprint and after getting past the initial  customer service person, I was passed to a customer support person. I  very calmly explained everything and gave him all me data. After a bit,  the technical support person was convinved and opened up a network  ticket for me. It's good that I kept records, because in the ticket,  they wanted they needed the origin addresses in order to track down the  messages that were causing issues.

Today, I happened to get an SMS that normall would have been "corrupted" but it came through on  my EVO just fine.

Now, I'm a software engineer by profession, and I have even done  some call control / telecomm work, but I wanted to post this message as a  guide to helping the phone company troubleshoot the issue. Here are  some tips.

0. Research the issue on line first. You might even be able to solve your own problem. But if not, then

1.  Collect as much data as you can about your problem. Perform multiple  tests and record all your data. Keep it neat and easily transferrable  when you make the call to customer support.

2. When you do call customer support, they are going to try to  try and troubleshoot your problem from a script or a small knowledge  base that they have. If you have a  feeling that why they are telling  you is wrong, then politely tell them so. Remember you have your  research and test data all there to back you up. When one of their  suggestion contradicts your data, point it out and ask lots of questions  about why they are having you perform specific tasks. For example, if I  had been told to reset my phone or take it into a service center, then I  had the data that it was happening on multiple handsets and  additionally only happening from certain carriers to show them that it  was NOT a handset problem. This part of the phone call can be very  frustrating, but have patience, keep your cool, and be polite. Remember  that Customer Support is not specifically a techncal troubleshooting  group. If the the customer service person can not solve your problem,  then you will be passed off to level 2 support.

3. Leve 2 support is where you want to be if you have a issue  that nothing else seems to solve. It is here that you want to explain  your exact problem to the tech person and give him all the details.

If  you follow these tips, you will be able to get a resolution much more  quickly. And if worst comes to worst and you feel that they are not  resolving your issue, you may have all the testing and data you need to  prove a breach of contract on their partand you can move on to a carrier  that is more responsive to your needs.

Wizard

text messaging problem

TANYASCORALLE1 if you have some current examples from today could you private message me the date, time , ptn please?

Journeyman

text messaging problem

Mine still isn't fixed. I'm still receiving 0001/0002 texts   repeatedly all throughout today. so I'm dissing it hadn't been fixed yet for anyone else either!

Journeyman

Re: text messaging problem

Sprint employee wengla02 writes:

"Sprint has identified and corrected a message coding translation  issue on inter-carrier messages.  The fix went in last night and you  should no longer see the ‘0001/0002’ or out of order messages."

This is exactly the kind of problem I expected and tried to convince numerous Sprint people of beginning July 1, 2011. Instead of Sprint folks listening to sound LOGIC, I was subjected to:

-- two trips to the Sprint store, where they removed the battery, did other trouble shooting, wiped the OS and reinstalled. I had to reinstall everything, re-create book marks, etc.

-- numerous phone calls with Sprint in which they still wanted to trouble shoot the phone

-- one of the phone calls was with a tech support person who denied there was problem, even though I could reproduce it as I spoke to him.

-- directed to install a patch that would not work because it does not apply to a later version of my OS.

My total lost time because of inept Sprint trouble shooting is 6-7 hours of travel time, talk time, and reinstall time. Sprint truly has a bunch of idiots interfacing with customers. Apparently it starts at the top with Dan Hesse and filters down into customer service.

Sprint Product Ambassador

text messaging problem

Sprint has identified and corrected a message coding translation issue on inter-carrier messages.  The fix went in last night and you should no longer see the ‘0001/0002’ or out of order messages.

Thanks for the information and feedback!

Will

Journeyman

text messaging problem

I've had the same problem for over 2 weeks now. I'm also having the same problem as Tanyascoralle1 where whenever I receive a "long" text from non-Sprint users and it is split into the 0001/0002 format, I stop receiving texts altogether from non-Sprint users. I am sometimes able to receive missing texts when I make a long phone call (then they all come flooding in), but this doesn't always work. Don't know if this helps the Sprint techs, but this problem started 2 weeks ago when my phone started splitting texts in the 0001/0002 format. Previously, they never were split up in this way and I never had any issues receiving texts. Something that Sprint recently changed must have caused this issue.

I've spoken to techs at least 7 times now and none of them had a clue what was going on. It took me 6 tries to finally get a ticket sent. The ticket obviously didn't solve the problem and I've completely given up on calling customer service again and again with no results.