cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Broadband Blog

0 Comments

With the rise of Remote workers in the workforce the Netgear 341U has you covered. The Netgear 341U is a solid device and capable of operating in 800MHz/1900MHz (CDMA) AND 800MHz/1900MHz/2500MHz (LTE) bans.

Giving you the coverage you need when working remote.

netgear_aircard_341u_unlocked_spint_4g_usb_modem.jpghttps://sprintspace.corp.sprint.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/38-7247-49321/netgear_aircard_341u...

Source to article

According to a new worldwide study into employees’ views when it comes to the workplace, 29% of all workers in the Americas, EMEA and the Asia Pacific regions now work from home at least some of the week.

The Kelly Global Workforce Index (KGWI) found that most of the 122,000 people asked were looking forward to the future. It was also found that people tend to be more proactive in controlling their career path. These days, people are much more likely to look for better paying jobs, as well as those that offer more in terms of opportunity and personal fulfilment.

One aspect to a better work/life balance is thought to be remote working, which is still a growing trend which employees enjoy as it offers them more flexibility and control over their working day.

"Remote work is firmly entrenched in our global economy, and it looks like it’s here to stay,”one report said. "Technology and today’s bustling marketplace are key drivers for the popularity of remote work.”

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones and devices. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones and devices. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.

0 Comments

This weekend was quite a mixture of busy and lazy. Saturday morning a good friend of mine came over to help me install one of these:

King+Canopy.PNG

Around our boat, what made this a difficult install was the length (27ft) and Florida's humidity, fortunately there was a bit of overcast out so we weren't also working directly under the sun.

Since my wife and I decided to get a boat instead of putting a pool in, my friend that came over has a very nice pool so once we got this canopy installed we headed over to their house and proceeded to

spend the rest of the day enjoying the pool.

Here is where the MiFi 500 came in handy, my friend is not computer savvy and only knows what he knows so I knew going over there that getting is wifi password wasn't going to be easy and that's ok, I have a Novatel MiFi 500 Mobile Hotspot.

I fired it up got my wife and I connected and with 4G LTE coverage it was really nice, my wife was able to buy some new books she wanted and I was able to surf the web, watch some youtube videos and just do whatever. however, our friends 50lb golden retriever puppy (yes still a puppy only 6 months old) had other plans, jumping in and out of the water and shaking off every 5 seconds! HA so we had to put all the electronics way to prevent the barrage water from Zoey shaking herself off!!

Cards.PNGside.PNG

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones and devices. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones and devices. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.

0 Comments

Plug-and-Play.jpg

Back in the olden days, we used to have something called a desktop client that would have to be installed on the PC or MAC you were using with your connection card.  Our version of this was called Sprint Smartview and was provided by a vendor called Smith Micro.  We would post SmartView for download on sprint.com/downloads for customers to use, and in fact, it's still out there today for some of our legacy mobile broadband devices.

Over time, we found several problems with providing a single client for all of our cards..

• The software itself started to become very very large because of all of the different drivers it had to contain for all of the devices that Sprint had, both current and EOL devices.  Many customers especially in the business space did not want this added bloat on their enduser assets and consumer users didn't want one more piece of software taking up space on their hard drive.
  • SmartView was a very expensive solution for Sprint, especially given all of the interations we needed every time new devices were added or removed.  It was constantly in development which was pricey.
  • We found it a challenge to support ALL of the different versions of Windows OS, MAC OS, and even Linux with all of the varying subversions, patches etc.

We needed something else.

Enter TRU-Install, at least for Netgear (formerly Sierra Wireless) devices.  You may also hear TRU-Install and solutions like it called "hostless connection manager".  Essentially this is a lighter client that resides on the device and initiates software installation on the host machine when first plugged in to a USB port.  Other non-Netgear devices may have some version of TRU-Install but they all achieve the same purpose, to make the enduser setup experience as easy as possible without a heavy piece of bloat.

And on the 341U, getting set up is a snap!  Once you plug the device into your computer, you'll get a EULA, hit accept and the drivers will install.

truinstall_eula.png

Now, with internal Sprint assets, you may run into an issue unless you have elevated rights via Powerbroker in which case you may need to get Sprint IT to help via a ClickIT ticket.

So for those of you that buy a 341U, one of our powerful new tri-band LTE devices, more power to you!

Until next time,

The Product Ambassador Team

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about
them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.

0 Comments

After setting the Novatel MiFi 500 up I was looking for a good way to test the 4G in our hotel room while I was on vacation.   Every where we travel we bring our Roku with us (soon to be replaced by Chromecast).  The hotel Wifi was free but had a secondary login after going to a web page.  This was troublesome for our Roku as we couldn't connect to the web to verify our rights.  Then the MiFi came to the rescue.  I hooked the Roku up to the Mifi and it was screaming fast.  Never has a buffer or wait longer than 10 seconds for initial loading of a movie.

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.

0 Comments

Capture.PNG

Some of the many uses of having a mobile hotspot devices.  This last weekend we took a trip down to Silver Glen springs (by boat)

20130112_150446.jpg

It was a great decision bringing my Novatel MiFi 500 LTE hotspot with us, as we were heading down the river (an hour boat ride to the springs) my sister-in-law was able to use my iPad

and get on the internet and order some items for her daughter and starting kindergarten. That was one handy way to get some business done as we headed to the springs.

Once we goto the Silver Glen, we met a lot of great people enjoying the FL weather and what turned out to be another great use with the Novatel Mifi 500 is the fact that I was talking about it and a few boaters around me heard what I was able to do out there and asked if they could

connect to it with there laptops and email some photos to friends and family. I said: Of course! got them hooked up and they were pretty pleased to be able to have internet access from their boat.

KIMG0029.JPG

0 Comments

Recently, Angie, a friend of mine took a trip to the Chicago-land area to visit her daughter, an elementary school teacher, to help her set up her classroom for the upcoming school year. Ever since her daughter became a teacher, this end-of-summer trip has become an annual pilgrimage. This year was different. Her daughter, Stephanie, was teaching in a new school and they didn't have any internet access in the rooms (during the time they were setting up the classroom). How were they supposed to stay up with Facebook, post pictures of the classroom progress and 'Crush' some 'Candy' during work breaks?

Sprint's NETGEAR Zing to the rescue!

Angie asked if she could borrow a Sprint hotspot before she left. I quick check of Sprint coverage (www.sprint.com/coverage) showed excellent LTE coverage in all the 'burbs they'd be working, dining and socializing. Angie and Stephanie were working in the classroom out in Oswego, IL, a western suburb. Stephanie lives in Westchester, IL, so they spent some time in that 'burb as well. And of course, some ample time was spent in O'Hare Int'l Airport in Chicago. The NETGEAR Zing had them covered all over.

chicagoland.jpg

On one of the days, during the classroom setup week, they had two iPads, Stephanie's laptop and two other laptops of teachers in neighboring rooms, all connected to the NETGEAR Zing - all sharing an excellent 4G LTE stream. Everyone was happy and connected!

Now, if I could just get Angie to bring me back an Italian Beef, dipped with sweet & hot peppers, from Porti's (Portillo's), we'd be in business!

windy italian beef.jpg

If you have family, neighbors or friends who are on the road frequently and need to stay connected, the NETGEAR Zing is a great choice. It allows you to connect up to 10 devices via WiFi and has excellent reception of Sprint's LTE service as well as EvDO/3G. The bright, large, easy-to-use touch screen is a breeze to setup and manage. Best of all, the battery life is stellar, easily getting a full work day from a single charge.

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.

Cheers!

5 Comments

By now you've heard about the NETGEAR Zing Mobile Hotspot, right? But you may be wondering is the Zing is right for you, a family member, friend or neighbor.

Let's take a closer look.

Maybe you don't feel you need the latest, greatest and fanciest. But what you do need to consider is "future proofing" your technology...as much as possible. The Overdrive Pro by Sierra Wireless was fantastic in the day, but its 4G technology was based on the old WiMAX standard. The Sierra Wireless 4G LTE Tri-Fi Hotspot was one step better with connectivity to both 4G technologies (WiMAX and LTE). And while the Tri-Fi Hotspot had a bigger battery, its menu system was still clunky, unintuitive and not so user friendly.

Along comes the NETGEAR Zing! The Zing is essentially the successor to the Overdrive, Overdrive Pro and Tri-Fi Hotspot devices. NETGEAR, world renowned manufacturer of home, SOHO and professional grade networking, router and firewall devices, acquired the AirCard technology and business from Sierra Wireless earlier this year. So all that knowledge, engineering and world-class service is now under the NETGEAR umbrella of products and services.

With the acquisition of AirCard services from Sierra Wireless, combined with Sprint's spectrum plans, NETGEAR launched the next generation of Hotspot technology, complete with all three bands of LTE technology ready and waiting. Essentially the Zing "future proofs" your Hotspot purchase for years to come.

The Zing has the ability to take advantage of Sprint's 1900 Mhz LTE signal today. It can also take advantage of the 2.5 Ghz spectrum (Clearwire spectrum) and the upcoming 800 MHz spectrum (Nextel iDen PTT spectrum), which will add maximum in-building penetration and throughput. Perhaps the icing on the Hotspot cake...you can pick up a NETGEAR Zing for $49.99*!

You can read about device details and specs from other blogs. But sometimes it's hard to get a visual for a device and how it may (or may not) fit into your lifestyle (read: bag). So let's compare the physical aspects to give you a better picture (pun intended).

I'll compare the Zing to the Tri-Fi Hotspot. The Zing's face is about the size of a playing card, slightly larger than the Tri-Fi.

However it's significantly thinner than the Tri-Fi, similar to a half deck of cards.

20130812_082736.jpg

20130812_082825_resized.jpg

The Zing is less "bulky" than the Tri-Fi and despite its larger circumference, it slips nicely into a pocket. The Zing provides hours of service without getting hot and picks up LTE signal like a black suede jacket picks up white car hair!

I hope this helps you decide on Hotspot technologies. If you have questions about the Zing or any of our new MBB (mobile broadband) devices please post in the comments section. Thanks for reading.

Cheers!

*With new line of service or eligible account upgrade.

0 Comments

towers.png

The age of tri-band LTE is upon us with the first of several new devices from Sprint having launched recently.  The Netgear Zing mobile hotspot, Novatel MiFi 500 mobile hotspot and the Netgear 341U connection card all have the ability to utilize LTE on Sprint's current frequencies (or bands) as well as new LTE bands that Sprint will turn up later.  In essence, all of these devices are future-proofed for Network Vision as rebanded iDEN spectrum is used as well as Clearwire spectrum for Sprint's LTE network buildout.

Let's do a quick review of Sprint's LTE bands:

Band 25

This is the LTE well all know and love today.  Band 25 is  is FDD-LTE over 1900MHz, using the G-Block of Band 25, which is separate from A-E Blocks Sprint uses for1xRTT and EVDO today.

Band 26

This will be FDD-LTE using rebanded iDEN 800MHz spectrum.  LTE over 800 provides less capacity but much greater coverage range than 1900 as the radio signal propagtes better.

Band 41

Band 41 is TDD-LTE using Clearwire's 2.5GHz spectrum, formerly the frequency used for WiMAX services.  Band 41 provides less coverage range but excellent in-building penetration. Sprint's spectrum holding in this Band will allow larger channels, providing higher throughput and capacity.

While Band 25 is what Sprint is using today, as Network Vision progresses and we turn up Band 26 and 41 on the network, tri-mode devices will be able to take advantage of the coverage footprint and capacity gains realized by all of the work we are doing to strengthen our LTE position.  And it doesn't just stop at mobile broadband cards and hotspots.  Coming later this year, handsets will also be launched with tri-mode LTE radios and be able to move ....  Customers with these devices will be reaping the benefit of Network Vision, now and in the future.

Hopefully we've been able to provide some useful information on how our Network Vision project truly will offer the best experience of any carrier in the US especially ince we complete our buildout.

Until next time,

The Product Ambassador Team

NOTE:

0 Comments

On Friday, I had the joy of being connected all day with my NetGear Zing. With Tablets and laptops in tow, I was able to remain connected as I walked around campus giving new student a tour of the campus. During the event, I had the opportunity to demo and present the device to over 300 students. Later, many of the students being new on campus didn't have no access to the Internet because of all of the PCs on campus were being used within the enrollment office. For those that had a PC, I added them as guest to use my hotspot connection.

The Guest option allows you to manage your guest users to create a separate Guest Wi-Fi network that you can share with other users.

Connecting this way restricts your guest by not giving those users access to printers and other computers that are on the main network connection.  The manager where you can change device settings is not accessible via the guest option either.

KIMG0182.JPG

Now days, giving out your password are a thing of the past and with this device you have the option to usewps. More importantly, it is available under the guest profile as well. Therefore, if you have a camera, printer, smartphone or laptops with this option secure yourself.

This is my last week testing the device and I have been impressed with the battery life, LTE speeds and the data management options. You can't go wrong with device.

“The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.”

Go ahead and take if for a spin.

L`eroy

0 Comments

VersionRelease DateDescription of Enhancement/Fix
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
04.06.03.118/14/2013

- Data Usage Bar is temporarily not responding 

Discuss it here

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
04.06.03.087/19/2013

- Initial Release

Update the software on your device

1. From an internet browser, enter http://sprintmodem or http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar and press enter
2. If prompted, enter the administrator password in the Sign In field and click Sign In
3. Click Settings
4. Click the Software and Reset tab
5. To manually check for an update, click Check for update
6.  If an update is available, follow the on screen prompts to install

Check the software version on your device

1. From an Internet browser, enter http://sprintmodem or http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar and press enter

2. Tap About

3. The software version is shown as part of the Firmware Version

Note:  Comments are restricted on this blog.  Please post any comments under the thread for the specific

software update.

0 Comments

VersionRelease DateDescription of Enhancement/Fix
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
04.06.03.158/14/2013

- Data Usage Bar is temporarily not responding 

Discuss it here

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
04.06.03.147/19/2013

- Initial Release

1. On a computer that is connected to the Mobile Hotspot network, open the web browser and enter http://sprinthotspot/index.html or http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar.
2. Press Enter
3. Enter the password in the Password field and click Sign In
4. Click Settings
5. Click the Software and Reset tab
6. To manually check for an update, click Check for update
7.  If an update is available, follow the on screen prompts to install

1. From the home screen, tap Settings
2. Tap More
3. Tap About
4. Tap the scroll down icon
5. The software version is shown as part of the Firmware Version

Note:  Comments are restricted on this blog.  Please post any comments under the thread for the specific

software update.

0 Comments

Though a little large compared with other hot spots, the Netgear Zing is still small and thin enough to be easily carried around.

Sprint Product Ambassadors: NetGear Zing Tech and Gadget News:

Though a little large compared with other hot spots, the Netgear Zing is still small and thin enough to be easily carried around.

A little large but thin and very sturdy
Measuring 2.7 inches by 4.3 inches by 0.6 inch, the Zing is quite large compared with other hot spots such as the MiFi 500 LTE or the AT&T MiFi Liberate, but it’s thin and small enough to be carried around easily. The device is also very sturdy, and feels very solid in the hand despite being made mostly of plastic.

On one side, it has two ports to support external antennas, a SIM card slot that support micro-SIM, and a Micro-USB port for charging with the included power adapter. You can also charge the device via a computer’s USB port, and in this case it can also be used as a tethered modem to provide Internet access to the host computer. This is a good feature if your computer doesn’t support Wi-Fi.

On the opposite side, there’s a power button that you can press and hold to turn the device on or off, or press just once to wake it up from sleep mode. The device took exactly 30 seconds to boot fully boot up and be ready to provide Internet access.

The Zing’s bottom opens up to reveal the battery bay, which holds a 2,500mAh lithum ion battery. This battery is more powerful than the MiFi 500 LTE’s, and it’s needed to power something the Zing has that the MiFi doesn’t: a 2.4-inch LCD resistive color touch screen on top.

By http://techandgadgetnews.com/netgear-zing-sprint/

CNET:

The good: The Netgear Zing is very convenient to use thanks to its large touch screen, robust Web interface, and capable mobile app. The device offers impressive 4G performance despite the currently lacking Sprint 4G LTE network.

The bad: The mobile router is a little large, and Sprint's 4G LTE is currently limited in many cities.

The bottom line: The Zing is a robust and capable mobile cellular router, but make sure you're happy with Sprint's 4G LTE coverage first before getting it.

By CNET - http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/netgear-zing-sprint/4505-3319_7-35765525.html

Both reviews talks about how large the device is, but I am personally pleased with the size of the device and especially how slim the device is. It can easily slide into your front or back pocket seemlessly without feeling as if you are carrying a brick. The device is also light compared to previous models and other hotspot devices.

Dimensions

4.3” L (110 mm) x 2.7” W (69 mm) x 0.6” H (15.2 mm)

Weight

“The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.”

0 Comments

This morning after our regular bike ride, we finished at my friend's house so I decided to play around with his new new Nexus 7 and his old 1st gen running 4.3. He promptly told me that his Time Warner was down and he was waiting on a service call so we couldn't mess with anything online. BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!

I had my MiFi 500 in my car's center console from using it on the road yesterday and testing speeds for a future blog post (stay tuned!). I was in 4G coverage and turned it on. I shared the password and all his devices lit up light the Christmas Tree in Rockefeller Square during the holidays.

He was impressed by the speeds projected on all our devices and while he won't be cutting the cord anytime soon (he's a gamer) he was thoroughly impressed by ease of use and how fast we got back online. We were posting pics on gPlus and Instagram in no time.

Just another crisis averted with the help of the Novatel MiFi 500 on Sprint LTE!

0 Comments

Sometimes in life you are presented with the unexpected. Like when a co-worker pulls out an outdated, ill fated, virus infused netbook. I bet you were thinking I was going to tell an Indiana Jones style story about my quest for the best data speeds. But sometimes in life it’s not even about data speeds. It’s about data. Getting information. In the world of today this data is precious almost like The Ark Of The Covenant in Indiana Jones and yes I do hate snakes.

The request came to me on a Friday of all days. After my day was already winding down and I was researching new markets to explore with my mobile broadband devices in tow. My co-workers know me as a tenured tech enthusiast and a tinkerer of sorts in the tech world. He asked me to fix his 5 year old Acer Aspire One netbook running the slow, bloated, and no longer supported Windows XP SP3. Not exactly a daunting task but I had two weapons to conquer this task. Thumb drives and 4G LTE connection. He was going on vacation this week and let me hold onto the device to continue working on it through and through.

As a tech DR I have to tell you the diagnosis was not good. Bloatware MALWARE, ADWARE, VIRUSES, hardware malfunctions, deleted plug ins, ADMIN priviledges run amuck! Every thing was out of control. But one sure thing. I had data.

I plugged the Netgear into this device after the WiFi switch wouldn’t come on, allowing me access to the web. (Somehow the drivers for the LAN port got deleted too, don’t even ask how) VOILA! We had data. He told me there was nothing on it worth salvaging and he just wanted use of it. I downloaded a copy of Ubuntu 12 LTS for netbooks since this device has the bare minimum of 1gb of RAM, and the ATOM processor powering it on. I was shocked it finished 15 minutes on 4G LTE since it was a whopping 732 MB download. This was the first hurdle.

I downloaded an ISO to USB tool via downloads.com and converted the thumb drive to a bootable cd key. The netbook doesn’t exactly respond well to bootable usb keys so I had to fiddle with the BIOS. After getting it to run off the bootable key the installation failed. ERROR 5. (insert my frustration and rage face) After researching the error I decided to scrap the Ubuntu idea and try something a little riskier.

Enter Windows 8.1 Preview.

The iso took about another 23 minutes since it’s also a pretty big download for the 2.8 gb preview but I needed this to happen NOW.Once again the Novatel was fast and never dropped my download speeds. This was during peak hours around 5pm to give you some background information.

I now needed the official Windows Download to USB Tool and wouldn’t you know it? It was on downloads.com as well. A few minutes later I had a dev preview bootable thumb drive.

The entire upgrade took about another 30 minutes and without the Netgear 341U USB Modem this entire adventure / conquest might never have happened. Sometimes having HOTSPOT isn’t enough. Having an emergency back up device is a great tool in my messenger bag.

I am proud to be a part of the Mobile Broadband Team and I sure my co-worker will be thrilled with my results.

1 Comment

netgear-zing-mobile-hotspot_xl.jpg

Data Security is important these days and the last thing you want to find out is someone hacked into your network and is creating all sorts of

havoc in your name. That feeling of being violated just never sits easy and you don't want to give, those less than stellar, people a chance to get on your network whether it is on your home network or on your

mobile hotspot.  Below are some great tips on reducing security risks while using your Zing Mobile Hotspot and these same suggestions can also carry over to your home network as well (granted the instructions won't be the same)

Follow these tips to minimize security risks.

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones and devices. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.

0 Comments

VersionRelease date
Description of Enhancement/Fix
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
19.184/30/2012

- Allow special characters in passwords 

- 4G performance improvements

Discuss it here

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Initial Release

- Connect to the Express Mobile Hotspot via WiFi

- Access the Admin web page by typing http://192.168.1.1 into

your computer's internet web browser and hitting enter 

- Click Login

- Go to Settings > System Update and click Update Firmware

Once the update is applied, the device should reboot ad re-connect to the network. 

If the device does not rebot on it's own, you may have to power it off and back on again 

manually.

Note: Comments are restricted on this blog. As new software updates are available, a new thread will be
         posted and linked to in this blog. Please post any comments under that thread for the specific
         software update. .

Allows special characters in passwords

4G performance improvements

0 Comments

Resetting the 3G and 4G Configurations to Default Settings

1. Log in to the home page

2. Click Advanced settings > Device > About

3. Click Reset Device to Factory Defaults

4. When prompted, enter the SPC (Service Programming Code).  If you don’t know your SPC, contact Sprint.

After a configuration reset:

• You must go through the device setup (page 20 of the userguide) and 3G activation or, if using 4G, use pay-as-you-go.

3G activation will start automatically

• Any changes you’ve previously made to the settings are lost

Note: Reset the configurations only if instructed by a Sprint representative.  Any changes you have previously made to your settings

will be reset to factory defaults.

0 Comments

VersionRelease date   
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.07.0904/23/2012

- Correctly display when returning to the Sprint network after roaming

- Security updates

Discuss it here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12/19/2011

- Improved 4G stability

- Provisioning improvements

- Improved 4G network selection for improved connection to the network

- Additional text in user interface added to clarify data usage counters

Discuss it here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.06.0109/06/2011

- Improves battery life in stand-by and idle mode

Discuss it here

0.17.00_18  
3/20/2011- Initial release
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important Notes: 

- When an update is available, you will see a small exclamation mark on the LCD of your Overdrive Pro

- When following the install steps below, be sure to type the http:// part of the address in the web browser

- Updates will take approximately 10 minutes to complete 

If your device does not power off/on following the update, you may need to do this manually

Update your software

To update your Overdrive Pro over the air: 

1. While connected to the Overdrive Pro through Wi-Fi, open a web browser and in the address box,

enter http://overdrivepro123/

Note: Replace 123 with the digits displayed in the Overdrive Pro LCD screen    

2. On the home page, enter password as the Administrator Password, then click OK

3. Go to Advanced Settings then select the Device tab

4. Click the Check for updates now button

5. If there is an update available, a notice will appear below the Check for updates button with an

Options to Install button

6. Click Options to Install

7. Click Download and install

8. After the update, the browser will disconnect  the device will power off and back on, and then reconnect

To update your Overdrive Pro via download  file:

1. Ensure the Overdrive is connected to the AC charger or computer through the USB to Micro B cable

2. Go to the download page, and download the latest firmware file to your computer

Note: We recommend downloading it to your desktop to make it easy to find

3. While connected to the Overdrive Pro through Wi-Fi, open a web browser and in the  address box,

4. On the home page, enter password as the Administrator Password, then click OK

5. Go to Advanced Settings and then select the Device tab

6. Next to Update firmware from File, click Browse

7. Choose the file saved on the desktop and select Update

8. Tjhe LCD screen will show the percentage complete while the update is being applied

9. After the update, the browser will disconnect, the device will power off and back on, and then reconnect

1. While connected to your Overdrive Pro through Wi-Fi, open a web browser and in the address box,

2. On the home page, enter password as the the Administrator Password, and click OK

3. Go to Advanced Settings > Device tab > About sub-tab

4. The version number will be listed under Firmware

software update.

0 Comments
0 Comments

VersionRelease date
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.23.0011/10/10

- Improves Wi-Fi disconnect issues on the device when idle (including iPad

specific improvements)

- Reduces random 3G/4G disconnects

- All known freeze-ups and lock-ups eliminated

- Allows end-user to modify how frequently the device scans for 4G when in

3G (from 1-15 minutes). Alows users to trade-off battery life for improved 4G

scanning performance.  Previously was pre-set to 10 minute scanning periods.

For example, if the user sets the 4G rescan timer to 8 minutes, depending on

the device power configuration, it will rescan at these intervals:

i.  Battery: Every 8 minutes

ii. USB: Half of battery, or every 4 minutes

III. AC Power: Half of USB, or every 2 minutes

- More comprehensive indicatiion of charging and temperature

i.  if the device's internal temperature goes above the charging shut-off

threshold, the battery indicator will display the current charge with an

exclamation point next to the charging level.  The user should unplug

the device until the temp indicator goes away.

ii. When the device cools enough to begin charging again, the battery indicator

will show normal charge indication

- Allows Sprint to push new software updates to the device

- Estimated 20% faster boot-up time (10-12 seconds faster)

Discuss it here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6/9/2010

- Improves device stability, eliminating all known freeze-ups and lock-ups
- Wi-Fi enhancements to improve stability and eliminate disconnects and

crashes
- Significant improvements in 3G and 4G WAN stability
- Some improvement (up to 10%) in overall battery life and battery life in

poor coverage
- Faster boot-up time (up to 10-20 seconds faster)
- Improved response time when changing the WAN mode setting with no

reboot required; eliminates need for a device reset when changing modes

such as "4G preferred" to "4G only", "4G preferred" to "3G only", etc.
- Faster response time after canceling an operation in the Advanced  Settings

screen (no device reset required and offline time decreased by  up to 90

seconds)
- Added additional 4G channels for future growth
- For Enterprise customers, customization and Data Link support have been

added; please contact your sales rep for additional information on  Enterprise

customer features

2/24/2010- Improves Wi-Fi operation and throughput
- Improves download reliability over 3G connection
- Fixes if Overdrive stays offline after an upgrade
1.06.011/29/2010
- Improves 4G (WiMAX) signal acquisition
- Addresses inability to browse the Internet when connected to 4G
- Improves battery status indicator
1.05.001/15/2010- Improves battery life in stand-by and idle mode
- Improves Auto Update/check for update
- Corrects issue: power button LED did not stay lit when connected to AC power
1.04.001/10/2010- Initial release

Update your software

To update your Overdrive over the air:

1.  When connected to your Overdrive through Wi-Fi, open your web browser and enter either

http://overdrive/ or https://192.168.0.1 in the address box

2.  When on the home page, enter the Administrator Password (default is password), and click OK

3.  Go to Advanced Settings > Device tab > Basic sub-tab

4.  Click Check for Updates Now button; Note: You MUST be plugged into AC power to perform an

update

5.  Select Update Options

6.  Select Download and Install Now

7.  A progress bar on your computer will show the update progress. Note: This process will take

approximately10 to 20 minutes, depending on your signal quality

8.  Once the package is downloaded, your Overdrive will apply the new version and web page will

show Software Update in Progress. The Overdrive device display will show Update in progress

and a percentage complete with a status bar.

9.  Once  the update is applied, your Overdrive should reboot and again connect  to the network. If it

does not reboot on its own, you may have to turn  the power off and back on again manually.

To update your Overdrive from a file:

1.  Ensure your Overdrive is connected to the AC charger or computer through the USB to Micro B

cable

2.  Go to our Overview download page and Download the latest firmware file to your computer

Note: We recommend downloading it to your desktop to make it easy to find

3.  When connected to your Overdrive through Wi-Fi, open your web browser and enter either

http://overdrive/ or https://192.168.0.1 in the address box

4.  On the home page, enter the Administrator Password (default is password), and click OK

5.  Under Update Firmware from File, select Choose

6.  Browse to the file you saved on your desktop and select Update

7.  Your Overdrive display will show the percentage complete until the update is applied. Note: This

process takes approximately 10 minutes to complete, depending on your signal quality

8.  Once  the update is applied, your Overdrive should reboot and again connect  to the network. If it

does not reboot on its own, you may have to turn  the power off and back on again manually.

maintenance release.

[added link]

[removed comment on 2.23 download timing; it's available now]