- Improves Wi-Fi disconnect issues on the device when idle (including iPad

specific improvements)

- Reduces random 3G/4G disconnects

- All known freeze-ups and lock-ups eliminated

- Allows end-user to modify how frequently the device scans for 4G when in

3G (from 1-15 minutes). Allows users to trade-off battery life for improved

4G scanning performance. Previously was pre-set to 10 minute scanning

periods. For example, if the user sets the 4G rescan timer to 8 minutes,

depending on the device power configuration it will rescan at these intervals:

i. Battery: Every 8 minutes

ii. USB: Half of battery, or every 4 minutes

III. AC Power: Half of USB, or every 2 minutes

- More comprehensive indicatiion of charging and temperature

i. if the device's internal temperature goes above the

charging shut-off threshold, the battery indicator will

display the current charge with an exclamation point

next to the charging level.  The user should unplug

the device until the temp indicator goes away.

ii. When the device cools enough to begin charging

again, the battery indicator will show normal charge

indication

- Allows Sprint to push new software updates to the device

- Estimated 20% faster boot-up time (10-12 seconds faster)

Important Notes:

- You can see all Overdrive Maintenance Releases (with install instructions) and

subscribe to receive updates here.

- This update will not be available via sprint.com/downloads until the evening

of 11/10 - available now

Message was edited by: dshoem01

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: 11/10 - Overdrive Maintenance Release - 2.23.00

dshoem01 wrote:

Overdrive 3G/4G Hotspot Maintenance Release - 2.23.00

Enhancements/Fixes:

next to the charging level.  The user should unplug

the device until the temp indicator goes away.

ii. When the device cools enough to begin charging

again, the battery indicator will show normal charge

indication

I infer that the charging circuit is not under firmware control, or it could stop its own charging upon reaching the temp limit.

Sure would be nice if the unit would not eventually shut down when running without a battery.  99% of my use is with the unit plugged into the wall. No battery, no charging-induced thermal problems.

On the 3G/4G reconnect issue, I'm actually noticing more frequent disconnects than before, but the reconnects are faster.

Journeyman

I'm having to disconnect/reconnect every 10 minutes now to surf, but at least, I agree, the reconnect happens faster. 2 steps forward, 3 steps back?

I've never been able to even start it up with the battery out, which would be ideal as 99% of the time I'm using it on A/C.

This is in Chicago, for the record.

Journeyman

You may have a fried unit.  Mine was getting really bad near the end, and after I swapped it out (but before upgrading to this week's firmware), it was already a lot better than the old one.

My theory is that if you overheat it enough times, it actually damages the circuitry.  Mine is in a southern-facing window (the only place where it gets a good enough signal) which, in the summer, gets hot as it is.  I've put up a little shield to protect it from now on.

To run without the battery, start the unit up on AC power with the battery, then simply remove the battery.  The unit will run for some time (an hour or so?), then it will shutdown with a message like "no battery", or something to that effect.

Journeyman

OK, there's still a bad 4G reconnect issue with this release.  I watched the unit continually attempt and fail to reconnect to 4G in "4G Only" mode all night, even though it had 40% signal during each attempt.  After rebooting the device, no problem connecting to 4G.

That's it.  I've had enough.  I'm going back to Comcast cable high-speed internet.  It's cheaper, anyway.

Journeyman

Thank you, thank you, for this update. The overdrive is now worth what I have been paying since July. Only time I could stay connected was when downloading and since there is a limit to how much I can download, I did not use it much. Since the upgrade, I stay connected and now FINALLY have high speed internet. Satelite is my only other high speed option and the overdrive is cheaper.

I am reading about the heat issues. Sprint said it will not hurt it. If that is not true, I guess I need to take battery out. But it is not a option if it is going to disconnect after an hour.

Journeyman

Not sure what happen but during the installation process of this Maintenance Release 2.23.0, my Overdrive just stopped working, completely dead and I have no idea why and I am definitely not happy about this.  I depend on this equipment for work and it is definitely causing problems because this is the second time in a month I'm completely cutoff from my clients / my network.   I have already had to replaced the equipment once because my last one overheated so I've barely had this replacement a month.  Has anyone experienced the same thing?

Journeyman

Canceled my service on this thing today.  Had to pay $150 ETF, but it's worth it to get out of using this defective hardware.

Another month of rebooting (or switching to "3G Only" and back to "4G Preferred") every single day pushed me over the edge.

Signed back up with Comcast.  20Mbps download, no rebooting...it's a beautiful thing.

Journeyman

This new version is junk.  I updated and my hotspot was constantly disconnecting from 3g signal or refusing connection from my notebook computer.  I reloaded the 02.06.06 version and everything is back to normal.  I recommend do not upgrade to this version.  Sprint/Sierra Wireless - please only release software updates that work.  This device has enough glitches without your breaking its software too.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat