cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

250U/Smartview Connectivity issues

Journeyman

I  have just received a 250U, and I have already gotten the latest version  of the software (Win. XP sp3), have updated the device profile, but am still having an issue.  It seems to hate login  screens, as I will typically have to re-load them several times to get  anything other than a blank white page.  Sometimes it will come "quasi"  dis-connected, and register the site address in the address bar, show  the site icon and title in the tab, but give me the blank white page.   Streaming any type of video is dicey, but Netflix is almost un-usable,  as a 1hr.30min. movie will typically take 3+ hrs. to watch (3-5 min's of  video, 4-8 min's of loading, etc., etc., etc.)  And this is the same  regardless of 3G or 4G connection.  Very frustrating to say the least.

I suspect this is an issue with Smartview, and here's why:

I  previously had a Compass 597 which had a base program embedded in it.   This base program seemed to be bullet proof, as every page, every login  screen, and every video seemed to work perfectly (barring the occasional  busy server).  I experienced similar issues to what I'm having now  after updating Smartview.  Incomplete loads, blank pages, streaming  trouble, et. al.  By uninstalling the updated version and reverting to  the base version, all of these troubles would vanish.  Sadly, the 597  finally died, and of course the 250U isn't compatable with that base  program that seemed so reliable.

Are there any known conflicts  with other software, such as anti-virus or browsers?  I don't know that I  can continue paying for the service as it stands now.

3 REPLIES 3
Master

Re: 250U/Smartview Connectivity issues

There's a couple of things that stand out in your description of the issue.  The "base" program that comes preinstalled to the Sierras 597 and 598u, is simply an older version of Sprint SmartView.  The only difference is that software was created 2-3 years ago, and in the software world, that's pretty old.  Also, the latest version of Sprint SmartView, 2.50.0094 has been fully tested with Windows XP SP2 and SP3, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.  So, is all of your software current?  Do you regularly get your Windows Updates?  Are you using IE8? Have you reset the browser settings from Internet Options? 

With that being said, I would uninstall/reinstall the latest SSV but delete your program files in between uninstalling and re-installing.  Windows XP is notorious for leaving program files behind after an uninstall.  These left over files can corrupt your new install because XP may not rewrite or renew those files.  After uninstall, right-click the START button, choose Explore.  On the left, scroll down and click on "Program Files."  Look for Sierra folders and Sprint folders.  If they are still there after an uninstall, then they got left behind.  Right-click and delete.  Then rerun your install.  IE 8 is the latest browser for XP but have you tried other browsers like Google Chrome or Firefox?  Do you have the same issue using mulitple browsers?  And lastly, Anti-virus program CAN cause the issue your describing.  You could also try shutting down any internet security programs you may have installed.  This is just a test and of course not recommended, but if it fixes the issue, then you'll need to trouble shoot from that perspective.  Check settings or preferences, block lists, etc for the security program in question. 

Hope this helps. 

Tom

Sprint Advanced Technical Support

Journeyman

Tried all that, no change.  In fact, I had written a long explanantion describing exactly what is happening, and while I did this I was booted of this site (logged out) and all was lost.

Essentially the connection only fully works for about 3 minutes after first connected, after that everything becomes dicey.  Disconnecting and reconnecting fixes this for another three minutes or so.  Most recently I have encountered difficulty with an e-commerce transaction, but have no idea if the problem is with my end or not.

I am VERY close to finding some other ISP.

Master

Sorry to hear about your frustration, I would feel the same way if my Sprint Mobile Broadband device was dropping a connection every 3 minutes.  Usually what we do in these cases is to test with alternate equipment and/or an alternate location.  Trying a different computer and/or different physical location.  If you'd like, you can private message me by clicking on my avatar.  I'll need your name, Sprint phone number and the physical location where you're using our device.  We can definitely help. 

Tom

Sprint Advanced Technical Support

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat