cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G/4G 250U USB network connectivity without SmartView software

Highlighted
Journeyman

In the past, Windows DUN (dial-up networking) could be used to connect USB mobile broadband devices to the sprint network; bypassing using the Sprint SmartView software.

Can this technique or something similar be used for the new Sprint 250U 4G (USB) device?

The Sprint SmartView software is slow, buggy, and works seldomly. In fact, the SmartView installer always fails on NMEA ports, forcing a partial install and disrupting the windows registry. So any advice on setting the Sprint 250U device without using the SmartView software would be greatly appreciated

4 REPLIES 4
Master

Before you reinstall the sw from website, please delete any files from the C:// drive - programe files-delete any files that is related with Sprint or Smartview and I would suggest not to install the Sprint Smarview from the Installation CD that came with the card.As you said  it may create issues with the windows registry and Install the SW from sprint dwonload page which is http://shop2.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/mobile_broadband/sprint_250u.shtml.  Only connect the USB card when SW is fully installed and your PC/LAPTOP.

Journeyman

That option does not really help. I tried everything you have mentioned, multiple times over the last week. Including downloading 2.50.0094 (latest as of 3/17/2011); and that installer also fails. In fact the SmartView installer is about as buggy as the software. After the SmartView installer hangs, and you reboot etc.. future installs of other programs using windows installer do not go well (you get a pop-up that Sprint SmartView install was incomplete, and there is a need to roll-back the changes).

If there is a way to bypass using the SmartView program, using the standard/default Windows Wi-Fi utility (Wireless Network Connection) or even Windows Dial-up Networking (DUN); that would be ideal.

The other issue with SmartView, is that it takes a while for it to start up, and connect/disconnect. In the past I used to use my old Novatel wireless without SmartView using Windows DUN (dialing #777); at it was a faster and more reliable connection. I just had a more positive experience.

Journeyman

I know that in windows 7 you click the wireless or network icon, click mobile and hit connect it will do so without smartview, however I unsure if that works with 4g... Not sure what sets up and authenticates the wimax...

Master

The Sprint Smart View software controls how the card connects to the network. Using the ability of the computer to dial out to sprint will get you connect but this will normally be a three G connection because the software has not told the card to look for a 4g connection.  You can manaully connect the card in all versions of windows.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat