cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

598U - How can I improve reception in my house?

Journeyman

598U - How can I improve reception in my house?

I live in a rural area and have poor reception in my home. How can I boost the signal strength, such as can I connect an outside antenna, Install a repeater system, etc....?????????? Anyone have any creative engineering ideas?

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: 598U - How can I improve reception in my house?

Contact Sprint ask the about getting an Airave for free since your coverage is poor, I know they have comped a few ppl on BAW a free unit, so if they snow you and try to charge you for the unit or monthly service ask to speak to a manager or retentions, ps don't take no be assertive and firm.

Sprint Product Ambassador

An Airave won't do much for poor coverage for a mobile Broadband card.

There are several companies that sell in house repeaters ($400+) - they put an antenna on the roof, and a transmitter in your house.

There are also several companies that sell high gain antenns that connect to your card.  They start out significantly less.  One I have read about, but have no experience with and provide no recommendation plus or minus, is Wilson Cellular.  

Journeyman

My mistake, I had assumed hes was asking about cellular service. Yeah, its not easy to boost aircard signal unless you get a third party unit to help with signal reception.

Journeyman

go to 3gstore.com. i have sierra wireless compass 597. had same thing going on would roam and get letters from sprint. i got a yagi antenna was $79.99 and with a cradlepoint ctr350 router $124.00 they are cheaper now. i have 2 laptops and a home pc running at the same time works great. i can stand on my roof and see the tower about 10 to 15 miles a way. a majer change very easy to set up.

Journeyman

Sprint has promised a 3g capable AIRave type device by the end of the year.

Journeyman

I bought a high gain directional antenna from http://www.usantennashop.com and it does the trick for me.

Journeyman

The best solutions I've seen for this is cst's that I've talked to that have an outdoor antenna.  Now it won't bring in a signal if you're not getting one outside.  The main point is to remove as many obstructions as possible and get the receiver away from interference sources.  I've seen some situations where the wiring in the walls and electronic equipment was causing so much interference, that the signal increased 20 dBm by just getting it outside.

Journeyman

I just called into Sprint Customer Service and there was not problems getting the AIRave (sp?) sent to me at no charge. Should be getting it in 3 to 5 days!  Will reply back to let everyone know how it works.