cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5GB wireless network cap? Where's your repsonse [...] ?

Journeyman

After being with Sprint ever since  Nextel got merged with them, I have come to ending the relationship  with Sprint after a very poor customer service review of notifying their  change in their 3G/4G mobile wireless plans.

If  you don't know, if you have a mobile wireless plan, it used to be 3G up  to 5GB and unlimited 4G.  Sometime last month Sprint decided to change  the policy and made 3G and 4G combined.  So, if you are using 4G, it  will be capped at 5GB and you will be charged and extra .05 per MB.

Now,  I average about 15GB of data usage on 4G.  So, if I was aware of a  policy change, I would of stopped using at 5GB instead of 15GB. If you  are doing the math, that's about another $440 on top of the normal  charges.

Yea, ouch.

I  spent 44 minutes with customer service and their grounds is that they  notified people via their last bill with an annotation on the side  mentioning the policy change.

Now, I'm a green eco-friendly kind of person, and I do paperless statements.

When you get a notification about your satements, it sends you to a monthly summary screen. 

No where on that screen does it mention a policy change.

There was no emails from Sprint mentioning the policy change. 

For  me to see the policy change, you would have to click on the PDF file to  see the normal bill, in which you would have to notice the policy  change conveniently annotated in small print on the side.

The  best the last person did for me is switch my plan to a 12GB plan.  So  now I pay extra to what I was used to plus another $150 in over use  charges.  They did waive my cancellation fee.

So,  am I the only one who didn't notice the change?  Is there anyone else  who happened to see this?  I'm sorry Sprint, but if you take the stance  that you did tell us so, then this relationship is over!

Message was edited by: mapesy who removed personal email address as per privacy policy

14 REPLIES 14
Journeyman

I have the same problem. I luckely noticed the change because I checked my usage limit on the website. I noticed the new limit but I was already over it by 4GB (which is already $200). I talked to Sprint serveral times and explained them that I was not notified in a proper way.

Now I am just trying to cancel my internet with Sprint and hopefully they waive the termination fee...

I got my wireless plann just 3 months ago. Payed $150 for the mifi, at least $200 now for the over limit and probably $200 for termination.

I really thought I can safe money by switching to sprint....

Journeyman

Same problem here.  A change that could result in significant charges to customers, should have been communicated in a more effective manner.  This was very incompentant of Sprint, and I bet will lead to some kind of class action down the road. 

Sprint, do the right thing.  Grant a waiver on the charges and higher plan fees for this month, reset the usage amunts back to zero and we can continue to do business.  And I am just one of many that feel the same way.  Treat us badly, and you will lose a large number of customers.  Think NETFLIX.  Think stock crash and burn.  Think bankruptcy.

Journeyman

this is so stupid... when i first knew about this changed i called sprint and asked about it and freaken this stupid rep told me that once u reached ur 5gb ull just be slowed down he never once said anything about being charged .5 per mb and now i own them 400 dollar... screw sprint im not going to pay them shit cause they lied to me about it..

Wizard

If u want something with no data cap on broadband then go to clear because clear has unlimited data and hotspots so that u don't have to worry about going over i have clear broadband and it's good.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It has been a week and Sprint has not emailed me back about my grievance with the data plan rate changes.  I was hoping for at least a response this late from the email address they sent me.  I'm already switched with another company that charges a $50 flat rate for unlimited 4G with no contracts.

Journeyman

Today I have paid my last bill with Sprint for wireless internet.   They haven't charged me for canceling my contract early, but they  haven't forgiven me for any overages I had with them swtiching from  unlimited 4G to 5GB 4G cap.  I found a company that is charging $50 FLAT  rate for unlimited 4G data.  I also found out Sprint invested into  their company to USE THEIR 4G network, so I can't get away from the  Sprint influence per se....  The good news is that if the unlimited 4G I  have turns to a data cap again, I won't have a contract obligation.  I would of stayed with Sprint if they forgiven the data overages for that one month.

All I have to do now is cancel the current cell phone I have with Sprint and it is bye-bye!

Journeyman

As reference, if you talked to customer service, and still haven't  resolved any billing issues you can always file a complaint to the BBB.   You can submit one online at

http://www.bbb.org/us/

Journeyman

Like the original poster, I was also shocked to find overage charges in excess of $500 for what I thought was an unlimited 4g data plan on my mifi. I always pay my account online and as long as my price is the same, I never think of reading the online statement. When I called sprint to dispute the charges, I was eventually transfered to a supervisor. His name was Chris (employee # 3676) and he was hands down the rudest, most condescending and arrogant person I have ever spoken to. He essentially insulted me for not reading me bill and went as far as saying that this problem would never happen to him because he always reads through his statements. He would do absolutely nothing to help me and pretty much told me that I was SOL. I finally lost my cool and said some pretty nasty things to him as I canceled my account with sprint - which I honestly enjoyed because he was just so damn condenscending. What was even worse about his guy Chris, was that when I confronted him on the fact that I was still being charged $59.99 for 5gb, yet new customers get 6gb for $49.99, he simply stated that I don't get access to the new promotions. So pretty much, Chris was saying screw current customers and give better options to new customers.

The next day, I received a phone call from Sprint's account services department and spoke to a much more empathetic and helpful rep (Jaime) and she quickly offered me a solution to the problem. Sprint would forgive my overage charges as long as I switched to the 12gb data plan. While I still think what Sprint did was extremely unethical, it was better than having to pay over $500 during the holidays. I just don't understand how a company can amend a two year contract less than half way through without a verbal confirmation. Why wouldn't they call their customers or send an email detailing the change to the contract? Well, I have a pretty good idea - they wanted this to happen. Like another poster said, I really do hope a class action lawsuit surfaces due to this issue. I also reported this issue to multiple online news organizations, the BBB and Consumer Affairs - mainly because of Chris.

Journeyman

I did notice that in October they did send out a thing stating it would take affect in November.

per sprints terms and conditions: "

About Data Services & Content

Our data Services and your Device may allow you to  access the internet, text, pictures, video, games, graphics, music,  email, applications, sound, and other materials ("Data Content") or send  Data Content elsewhere. Some Data Content is available from us or our  vendors, while other Data Content can be accessed from others (for  example, third party websites, games, ringers, applications, etc.). We  make absolutely no guarantees about the Data Content that you access on  your Device. Data Content may be: (1)  unsuitable for children/minors; (2) unreliable or inaccurate; or (3)  offensive, indecent, or objectionable. You're solely responsible for  evaluating the Data Content accessed by you or anyone through your  Services. We strongly recommend that you monitor data usage by  children/minors. Data Content from third parties may also harm  your Device or its software. We are not responsible for any Data  Content. We are not responsible for any damage caused by any Data  Content that you access through your Services, that you load on your  Device, or that you request that our representatives access or load on  your Device. To protect our networks and Services or for other reasons,  we may place restrictions on accessing certain Data Content (such as  certain websites, applications, etc.); "impose separate charges; limit  throughput or the amount of data that you can transfer; or otherwise  limit or terminate Services. If we provide you storage for Data Content  that you have purchased, then we may delete the Data Content without  notice or place restrictions/limits on the use of storage areas. Data  Content stored on a Device, transmitted over our networks, or stored by  Sprint may be deleted, modified, or damaged. You may not be able to make  or receive voice calls while using data Services. Data Content provided  by our vendors or third parties is subject to cancellation or  termination at any time without notice to you, and you may not receive a  refund for any unused portion of the Data Content.
there terms goes on to state:
"

Our Right To Change The Agreement & Your Related Rights

We may change any part of the  Agreement at any time, including, but not limited to, rates, charges,  how we calculate charges, discounts, coverage, technologies used to  provide services, or your terms of Service. We will provide you notice  of material changes—and we may provide you notice of non-material  changes—in a manner consistent with this Agreement (see "Providing  Notice To Each Other Under The Agreement" section). If a change we make  to the Agreement is material and has a material adverse effect on  Services under your Term Commitment, you may terminate each line of  Service materially affected without incurring an Early Termination Fee  only if you: (a) call us within 30 days after the effective date of the  change; and (b) specifically advise us that you wish to cancel Services  because of a material change to the Agreement that we have made.  If you do not cancel Service within 30 days of the change, an Early  Termination Fee will apply if you terminate Services before the end of  any applicable Term Commitment.
Journeyman

Thats great LadyCunningham, but as you can see from Sprint's forum and even recents posts on Consumer Affairs website, many people were not aware of the recent change due to the manner in which they notified their customers. They placed the notification within October's billing statement. A large number of people, including myself, pay online. There was no message when I logged into my online Sprint account, and there was no notification when I clicked on the option to pay my bill. Since I had unlimited 4g and was only half way through my contract, when I signed on to pay my bill and noticed that I was being charged the exact same amount of money and it still said 5gb, I never thought that I would need to read the details on my billing statement. It never dawned on me that I would lose the unlimited feature of my contract halfway through. I think Sprint could have gone to greater lengths to notify their customers. And I think since they are now forgiving peoples overages, they are accepting responsibility for their shortcomings.

Journeyman

I know I see they forums, I can read obviously. I am just stating that yeah, they did not go to great lengths, and I certain agree that they should have done more but legal they advised the customer, sure they have tons of forums about it and tons of calls I am sure due to the vast number of forums. However, as far a they are concerned it is black and white, hence the heat on the forums that is all I am saying!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat