Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9/6 - Overdrive Pro 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot Software Update - 01.06.01

Highlighted
Wizard

9/6 - Overdrive Pro 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot Software Update - 01.06.01

Overdrive Pro 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot Software Update - 01.06.01

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Performance optimizations (while under good coverage conditions)

- WIFI power management control optimization for standby and idle time

Important Notes:

- When an update is available, you will see a small exclamation mark on the LCD

- Software version is 01.06.01

- If the device will not successfully upgrade firmware/software, factory reset the device, then try the upgrade again.

- Refer to the Overdrive Pro 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot Software Updates blog for install instructions

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - moved the install instructions to the blog specified in the Important Notes section; updated post title with official device name

17 REPLIES 17
Journeyman

9/6 - Sierra Overdrive Pro Software Update - 01.06.01

I purchased the Overdrive Pro about two weeks ago from a Sprint Service Center.

I use it as a mobile hotspot for up to 5 users;

Device is connected to AC plug, is located in a window, gets 2-3 bars set on 4G.

I have completed the update and still have the following problems:

Device will not power on or off- Must do daily battery pull to get device to function.

The Device name /message area reads: Open any web page to continue set up.

How can I get this thing to stay on and stay connected???

The device has two external antenna connections, would an external antenna help?

Journeyman

Re: 9/6 - Sierra Overdrive Pro Software Update - 01.06.01

The probelm with this device is that its needs rebooted - often. I've found that pressing the reset button (behind the battery cover) is the most effective way to soft reset the device and get it to work properly.

In response to your Question: "How can I get this thing to stay on and stay connected???" Are you referring to staying connected 3G, 4G, or WiFi? If you already have 2-3 bars on 4G then an external antenna probably isn't necessary. As far as the "Open any web page to continue setup" message, this should go away once the setup is completed.

Has anyone successfully installed this update? Mine fails everytime.

Journeyman

Installed update today (9/20/2011) at Noon without any problems.

In regards to the rebooting - I have drilled a hole through the battery door cover strategically above the reset button on the inside allowing

me to easily reset the device without having to remove the battery cover each time.

Also, since placing the device in front of a fan to keep the device cool, I have gone from having to reboot it up to twice a day,

to only having to reboot it about once every 5 days.

Still not perfect, but the 4G unlimited data makes the above issues worth the price and orginal aggravations.

Journeyman

Please keep in mind that the drilling will probably void any and all warranty you may have on the device.

And when I drilled through the battery cover, it had been removed from the device.

I would hope everyone would realize the above - but I figure better clarify just in case

Journeyman

Took the battery cover off.

I have it set on 4G only, and get 2-3 bars.

Then I connect via wifi to up to 5 users and get average speeds.

Left it on for two days, came back  and it connected automatically to 2 users, got below avarage speeds.

Rebooting now

Journeyman

40% Signal here - get  7~8 Mbps

Keep in mind that I am in an area with Strong 4G coverage.

I also have it locked to 4G only.

Troubleshooting for me was a bit easier in that I also have an Evo 4G on a separate plan.

Thus allowing me to determine if the 4G in general was being problematic on any given day

or if it was specifically the Sierra having problems.

I cannot stress strongly enough how keeping the unit cool (100% of the time) made all the difference in the world.

Keep in mind any WiFi Problems may be due other WiFi networks in the local area - possibly on the same channel.

Configuring the Sierra HotSpot to a channnel other than the default might lead to better WiFi connnections.

Good luck.

Journeyman

CAMSTUFs - I find that if a device goes "idle" (ie Computer goes into standby, or tablet is turned off) I have to reboot the Overdrive Pro to get connected again. The last two updates were supposed to have fixed Wifi idle. Although I can't confirm because my device will not update.

In regards to the current update (01.06.01) my device will not take the new firmware. I've tried both the automatic and manual methods, before and after a factory reset. Automatic update gets to 1% and says "update failed." The manual update says "The update cannot proceed.  There is a SKU version mismatch." It would be nice to get some tech support from Sprint in this thread so that I don't have to take the device to a repair center - again.

I've submitted a support ticket with Sierra Wireless, as I don't think contacting Sprint will help.

Journeyman

I am confused:

In your first post (Dated Sep 17, 2011) you state the following: "I have completed the update and still have the following problems...."

In this morning's post (# 7. Sep 21, 2011 8:46 AM) you statethe following: "In regards to the current update (01.06.01) my device will not take the new firmware."

So inconsitencies such as the above can make it difficult for anyone to help with the problem.

The last statement in your most recent post (# 7. Sep 21, 2011 8:46 AM) ends with "so that I don't have to take the device to a repair center - again."

The device is only two weeks old, and has already been sent in for repair, prior to your current issues?

What was the original problem? and What was done to fix the original problem? Both of those answers may play directly into your current situation.

What is your current firmware version as listed on the admin page for the device?

Have you tried changing the WiFi channel within the configuration?

Have you tried placing it in front of a fan to keep it cool at all times?

Answers to the above questions would go a long way in helping anyone assist you further.

Journeyman

I think you are confusing my posts with CAMSTUFs. I've only ever posted that I cannot update to the new software.

I believe the questions below (quoted in bold are also directed to CAMSTUFs.

SprintAlias wrote:

I am confused:

In your first post (Dated Sep 17, 2011) you state the following: "I have completed the update and still have the following problems...."

In this morning's post (# 7. Sep 21, 2011 8:46 AM) you statethe following: "In regards to the current update (01.06.01) my device will not take the new firmware."

So inconsitencies such as the above can make it difficult for anyone to help with the problem.

The last statement in your most recent post (# 7. Sep 21, 2011 8:46 AM) ends with "so that I don't have to take the device to a repair center - again."

The device is only two weeks old, and has already been sent in for repair, prior to your current issues?

What was the original problem? and What was done to fix the original problem? Both of those answers may play directly into your current situation.

What is your current firmware version as listed on the admin page for the device?

Have you tried changing the WiFi channel within the configuration?

Have you tried placing it in front of a fan to keep it cool at all times?

Answers to the above questions would go a long way in helping anyone assist you further.

Journeyman

You are 100% correct, I apologize to both of you for the mix up.

Yes I thought both posts were from CAMSTUF.

Journeyman

CAMSTUFs wrote:

I purchased the Overdrive Pro about two weeks ago from a Sprint Service Center.

I use it as a mobile hotspot for up to 5 users;

Device is connected to AC plug, is located in a window, gets 2-3 bars set on 4G.

I have completed the update and still have the following problems:

Device will not power on or off- Must do daily battery pull to get device to function.

The Device name /message area reads: Open any web page to continue set up.

How can I get this thing to stay on and stay connected???

The device has two external antenna connections, would an external antenna help?

[qoute]RE: Sierra Overdrive Pro Software Update - 01.06.01[/quote]

My question is will an external 4G antenna plugged in to the Device help it to stay connected to 4G?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat