cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use a USB "Y" connector to put two computers on one 598u device?

Journeyman

Can I use a USB "Y" connector to put two computers on one 598u device?

I have two computers at home now and I was hoping to put both computers online at once by connecting them both to the same wireless broadband card.  Is this possible?  I was thinking in terms of a USB "Y" cable.  This would also let me put the device in a position to pick up a bit stronger signal.

One computer (mine) runs on Linux, the other is on Windows XP Pro.  I was trying to set up a LAN to share the connection from my Linux without success, (I'm certainly not an expert user) but if that would be a better option, I'm certainly willing to give it another shot!

Best, Ameda

7 REPLIES 7
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Can I use a USB "Y" connector to put two computers on one 598u device?

That's an interesting idea!  I hadn't thought of something like that before.

Unfortunately, it won't work.  Once one computer connects to the 598u, it uses it exclusively.

What you need to do to make it work for both computers is look up 'internet connection sharing' on your Windows PC.

That, combined with a $30 hub and two network cables, should get you set up to where you can connect to the internet on the Windows machine, then share that connection to your Linux machine.

You can do the reverse, turning the Linux machine into a router, but that's a bit more in-depth.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

Good info. You can also skip the hub by getting an ethernet crossover cable -- sometimes called a 'reverse' cable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

It does the same thing without having to lug around a router. If you have a Macintosh they have a built in detector to do this automatically for you. Any old ethernet cable will work just fine. Macs can also share a Firewire (IEEE 1394) connection and a casual look at the search engines says Windows can do this as well.

The other solution is something like a Sprint PHS300s:

http://shop.sprint.com/en/solutions/mobile_broadband/personal_hotspot.shtml

Then both computers can connect which is great for somebody with more cash than networking knowledge.

Journeyman

Both answers were very helpful, and I think I am going to go with a router, as that will talk to both.  The crossover cable setup would be a bit beyond my technical knowledge to get the XP to talk to the Ubuntu!

Thanks again!

Journeyman

The crossover cable is the router in this case and will cost you just a few bucks. Up to you, of course, but all you do is plug it in and off you go. There's no setup required and it's a lot less gear to lug around.

Get both and send back the one that doesn't work!

Journeyman

I was looking at the wikipedia answer you sent earlier, and the setup seemed dreadfully complicated with no surety that it was even possible to go from an XP to Ubuntu?

Our local Fry's does have crossover cables at only $6, and a 3G/ 4G router from Netgear at $99, so if the cable would work, that would be FANTASTIC!

Ameda

Journeyman

$6 beats $100 every time!

It looks like it's pretty easy and sorry for the pointer to the oh so detailed Wikipedia article.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_xp

It looks like you plug the cable in, turn on Internet Connection Sharing, and then off you go. Out of the box the Ubunut machine should plug in and Just Work.

Good luck!

Journeyman

YAY! I can do this!  I'm going to go over and get the cable on Friday - too late in the day for the amount of work I have left to do today.  I'll let you know if this works!

Ameda

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat