cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain why Sprint can't activate using a ESN #?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can someone explain why Sprint can't activate using a ESN #?

I'm trying to activate my old U727 tonight (which was lost and now found) and apparently Sprint can't take the ESN number printed on the back and be happy, they explicitly need the longer DEC code.

Unfornately, the U727 doesn't have it's DEC number written on the back, it's only the ESN number printed on the card. Smartview can display the ESN number, but not the DEC anywhere, and putting in ##DATA in Smartview, prompts for the MSL code which I don't have either. Sad night for Sprint.

Can anyone tell me why Sprint can't use the ESN? I explictly recall activating using the ESN before and it worked perfectly.

2 REPLIES 2
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Can someone explain why Sprint can't activate using a ESN #?

Where are you trying to activate the card?  On Sprint.com?

It should take either the HEX or DEC ESN.  If that doesn't work you can try calling or click to chat with a care rep.

Also, if you reported the card lost, it may have been 'hotlined' and not able to be activated until you call in and report it un-lost.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Re: Can someone explain why Sprint can't activate using a ESN #?

After talking to advanced technical support (kudos for Sprint for advancing it straight thru) I was able to activate it using the ESN on Sprint.com and was nicely credited 20 bux for my trouble. Now only if I could put a Pre on a SERO plan, that would save the day! IMHO Novatels seem to work better with Macs than the Sierras, so I try to keep a Novatel on board. The U727 while discontunied, does now have all the bugs worked out it seems.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat