cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DO NOT BUY the Sprint Overdrive!

Highlighted
Journeyman

This just happened to us and we rec'ed a 200.00 bill for overages, apparently the hotspot can switch from 4G to 3G and unless you are sitting right by the device to know this has happened (defeating the purpose of the hotspot) you are not going to know. We were told we would have unlimited internet but due to the 3G being on we exceeded the 5K max allowed, and rec'ed a HUGE bill!!! This is BS, you pay for something you expect to get it, why would they charge you for 3G when it is not the premium service offered anyhow?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: DO NOT BUY the Sprint Overdrive!

If you are in a 4G area you should change the Overdrive to connect to 4G only to avoid 3G charges.

To do this:

1. Open the Overdrive home page in your browser (192.168.0.1)

2. Log In

3. Choose the connection on the left (3G or 4G)

4. Choose 4G only

5. Save

4G Only.bmp

If you live in a 4G area and have 4G signal you really should complain to Sprint and attempt to get these ridiculous charges reversed. Calling *2 is not going to do you any good. They are going to pass you from one rep to another until either they disconnect the call or you get so frustrated that you give up.

I've found that sending well constructed emails does the trick with Sprint and it's the only way to get a resolution. The more people who get copied on the email the better. I can pm you a list of who to include if you need it. You should also send the connect/disconnect and verbose logs from from the Overdrive, this should be enough evidence to support your claim that the device should have never connected to 3G in the first place and that you should not be liable for the overage charges.

The Log files can be found and exported to .txt documents here:

Advanced Settings > Device Tab > Log

Export Log.bmp

Highlighted
Journeyman

Add 3 of mine to the list of broken usb ports.  I am on the third one in less than a year.  Obvious design flaw and terrible service from both sprint and sierra.  Like many I am stuck under a 2 year contract with a device that wont last longer than 4 months.  Only saving grace here is that there are enough ticked off sprint customers that are cancelling and selling these miserably slow devices on ebay for 20% of the cost that sprint will hit you for. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also have the overdrive and during the first 7 days of this billing period it has used 4.8g so will be over my 5g limit because i live in a 3g area they said they have had no problems and had never heard of the overdrive runing up bills i got a new one and was told to take the battery out instead of turning it off "just to be safe" i have been with sprint since at&t was cingular now i have had it with sprint they don't seem to have any idea what they are doing anddon't care about their customers my overdrive is 2 months old and i'm already having these problems

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't share any of the problems listed here. Mine works just fine (except for a faulty battery issue). It's more likely the problem is with the coverage in your area. When I first got mine (six months ago) I had to set the device in the front of the house - couldn't get a reliable signal in the back of the house. Since then, I've found a place in the middle of the house where it never drops the signal.

My advice - don't set it on "4G preferred" if this is your primary internet connection. If you do, you risk a hefty bill for 3G access. You can always check your usage online. As long as there is no download cap on 4G, Sprint and I will be friends.

As with any device, and especially with mobile phone carriers, it's always "buyer beware". I did extensive research on all the carriers and took advantage of Sprint's 30-day guarantee, swapped out the horrible EVO after 30 days, and switched to this device - and so far am very happy with my service.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My USB port lasted about two months before it slipped off inside the device and is now loose inside the device. Will have to mail it back to Sierra Wireless. This better be covered by warranty!

Highlighted
Master

christiandeitch wrote:

My USB port lasted about two months before it slipped off inside the device and is now loose inside the device. Will have to mail it back to Sierra Wireless. This better be covered by warranty!

USB ports don't just "slip" off, they are soldered onto the board itself. The solder points would have all had to have been broken for it to break off and fall in the device. Sierra may consider it physical damage which would not be covered under their warranty, I can't say for sure about exactly how they would work with it. A service and repair Sprint store should be able to take a look at it. If you have ESRP or TEP protection then they should be able to repair/exchange the device for free unless there is some other issue that would prevent it (like liquid damage). If you do not have ESRP/TEP they may still be able to work with it, but it may have a charge associated with it (usually $35). The warranty is not covered in a Sprint store directly, so even if it is covered under the manufacturer's warranty Sprint may still charge a fee to replace it, going through the manufacturer directly would not have this fee in that case.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: DO NOT BUY the Sprint Overdrive!

Micro usb ports do break, and they break often. This is a well documented issue with this device and many others. In the attached photo you will see the micro usb port (bottom left) is attached by 2 weak solder joints.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Had Sierra Wireless hotspot for 6 months.  Constantly overheated.  Then  the charge port came loose and battery would never charge.  Then there  were the phantom overages and the fact that in 2011 I could not watch a  YouTube video or download a song without going over my measly 5GB.  I  had Verizon before this and NEVER went over.  I went over 3 of 6 months  with sprint.  Something is amiss.  Did I meantion it is SLOOOOOWWWWW? I  do not live in a metropolis, but it is a rather large town of over  200,000 people and I had NO 4GB.  I called and canceled it today and  went back to cable internet.  Now I can stream netflix and actually use  the internet like it was the 21st century, not the early 1990's.  I even  had to cough up $150 contract break fee.  It's worth it.  I paid that  much in overages and was going to have to pay $35 to get a new hotspot,  even though it is their junk hardware that failed.  Cutting my losses...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am so sorry that I purchased the overdrive.  It was in use for three months and the usb port broke, I didn't have insurance and I was told tuff luck!  It can't be fixed and I have been paying for this now since December and have NOT been able to use it.  I was only three months into a new contract and was informed that I would have to purchase a new one for $349.00!  What?  Shouldn't there at least have been some kind of warranty of these things, without having to purchase the insurance?  This is so rediculous, why pay for the monthly insurance?  Why not just have the monthly charge include the insurance?  If they stand by their products, why should a customer have to pay for 21 months for a service they are unable to use?  I feel hosed no matter which way I go.  I should have just paid the fee for canceling the contract.  I plan to switch to another company as I am extremely upset with Sprint.  I would never recommend this company to anyone.  Shame on you Sprint for ripping off customers!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Trust me, it won't be, you are screwed just like I am.  I had the same thing happen and was told by repair that it was my fault because it broke off inside so it was user misuse.  You will have to buy another one, or keep paying for it and not use it!  Enjoy Sprint service!

Highlighted
Journeyman

i am fed up with this device the battery now will no longer charge...before it was the power connector that broke so easy....am cancelling i dont care about the charge i dont want to pay sprint any more money to use a piece of crap. i am definately looking for alternatives most likely a different carrier.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat