ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DO NOT BUY the Sprint Overdrive!

Journeyman

Well since I'm $600 into this whole experience and never actually having used my Overdrive, let me at my 2 cents:

My first unit worked fine for 6 months in my girlfriends hands until the USB connector broke; and then I find my 1 year warranty null and void, the only solution is to buy a new unit from Sprint.

So just to show how stupid I am, I buy a replacement unit off eBay for $50 shipped, and when it arrives, the unit gives me an error 67, and Sprint support tells me I need to take it to the store.  And once there, in the blessed love that is 4G, my Overdrive works fine.

Back home, and in the rest of the non-4G world, the device still gives me an error 67.

I get a replacement from the vendor, who never should have done so, but bless him.  I try again, still error 67.  I try on the phone with Sprint support, but discover my replacement Overdrive won't reset - so far, 9 out of 10 times, I get a reboot when I press the reset OR the box locks up and won't boot until I remove and re-insert the battery.  So far, out of over a dozen attempts, I've gotten a single reset.  Still doesn't work though.

And of course I'm now looking at a $89 bill on July 17th...

For me, that's the final straw.  I may be fat and stupid, but I'm not THAT stupid. 

Brad.

PS Thanks for Sprint in Salem for hiring the gal who reset my Overdrive WHILE IT WAS TURNED OFF and then proclaimed "maybe it just needed to see the Sprint store before it worked?" 

Journeyman

I'm going to rescind my previous post. Although I am in an area that consistently has good (but not constant) G4 coverage, the device is unreliable, and possibly dangerous. After several months of usage, the battery in my device swelled, causing me concern that it might explode. I attempted to return it to the Sprint store and was told, "those Sierra devices do that if they overheat." They said if I wanted a replacement battery, I would have to order one online. So even though they acknowledged that the device is faulty, and potentially a fire hazard, they wouldn't take it back.

Master

As an advanced tech support agent, I have helped countless customers who have an overdrive and their plan is still the older 3g only plan that has no 5 gigabyte data limit.  The agent at the store did not change their plan so that it includes 4g service as well as a 5 gigabyte limit on 3G.  So I'd have to say swiching to a 3g/4g device is not a ploy to convert customers over to 5 Gigabyte limit on 3G without their permission.  Every time I assist that customer, I ask them if they want to include 4g at the sacrifice of the 5 Gigabyte limit on 3G and usually the ones who can not get 4G choose to keep it the same, and the ones who are in 4G coverage see the value in swiching to 3G/4G data plan that has a limit on 3G but no limit on 4G downloads.

Journeyman

I am on my second device. The 1st one replaced in March because of the charging port. It has now broke again. They want me to buy a new one. The person at the store told me it must be the way I plug it in.  REALLY???? Why does my phone not have the same damage then. They also told me they don't have any reports of this happening to anyone else. I have physically damaged the device. My problem!!!! I'm glad to see this posted here and would love to see more people with this problem so I can show them it's not just me.

Journeyman

Im right with you MaryOswald, my port just broke also, and the battery cover is warped from getting hot! They also told me I have to buy a new one, mine is 4 months old got it in April of this year, what a crock! What do we pay insurance for? So they can stick money in their pockets? So now we pay for mobile broadband and cant use it! Im terminating my contract with Sprint for all devices and we have been with them for more then 10 years!

Journeyman

Re: DO NOT BUY the Sprint Overdrive!

DVanlinder2809 wrote:

Im right with you MaryOswald, my port just broke also, and the battery cover is warped from getting hot! They also told me I have to buy a new one, mine is 4 months old got it in April of this year, what a crock! What do we pay insurance for? So they can stick money in their pockets? So now we pay for mobile broadband and cant use it! Im terminating my contract with Sprint for all devices and we have been with them for more then 10 years!

Are you saying that the Store will not repair or replace your defective Overdrive? If so, what is their reason? I thought a store would repair or replace a device due to physical damage for $35, but I could be mistaken. I'm just curious because I haven't had to take my Overdrive to a store, yet.

Journeyman

Yes that's correct been.jammin, they told me I have to buy a new one, even with insurance. Insurance wont cover it because the port fell out and with parts off its not covered. What kinda of crap is that? Why do we pay for insurance?  The girl at the counter was rude at Sprint and she said well let me see if we can upgrade your account, umm..no I want this hotspot fixed. So I have contacted Sierra Wireless to see what they will do for me,  Still waiting for reply from Sierra, so keep your fingers crossed. Sprint sucks!

Journeyman

Did you end up having to pay the overage, or did Sprint work something out with you? I currently have the same problem and was unaward that my device switched to 3G. I apparently now owe $450. I feel the notification emails weren't clear was they didn't outright tell me that I went over my allotment of data.

Journeyman

I also had my charging port fall out after about 4 months. The battery had discharged because I forgot pull the USB cable, that I use to charge it, out when I shut it down. So I plugged it into the charger in the morning and when I was done I picked the unit up and the plug fell out with the connector. I didn't even have to pull it out and there was no signs of physical damage. I went to the Sprint store and the said I must have damaged it and gave my the number to see if Sierra would fix it because it was still under factory warranty. Well I called and they said they would send a mailer to return it and would examine it and see if it was physically abused. I never heard from them again. I called Sprint Employee accounts because my plan was through my son who worked for Sprint until they transferred all the more skilled tech's to Eriksson Electronics (a foreign company) to save money. All the account holders that had been sponsored by them were able to keep their accounts albeit at slightly higher price. I had purchased the Overdrive unit thru Best Buy but when my Cell phone broke I got Sprint to accept my overdrive unit in lieu of the phone. They let me purchase a new Overdrive for $300 less a $100 discount because I was up for a free upgrade phone. For the first 4 to 5 months my 4G service was great until I started using the new Overdrive. It was slow as he!! and constantly switched back to 3G. I took it in and they said it had to be reprogrammed, and they would have to order me a new battery because the old one was swollen so the cover kept popping off. I asked if that could cause a fire and I was told they all do that. After a week I had to go in to find out where my battery was; and it was sitting there. Well I set it for 4G only and it intermittently worked. About 2 months ago it started to get a little faster again. Now I was using my PC a little less but my data usage was going up fast. Since I bought my first unit I stayed below the 5G limit up until I received an email telling I was going above the 5G limit they had imposed on the 4G service which amounted to an addition $87.00 on my bill when I was originally told that 4G was unlimited. I won't even go into the calls I had to make and untrained people I had to talk to that were only worried if I would give them a good rating if contacted. But I finally used that e-mail I received to send and e-mail back about my problems trying to resolve my problem. I received a fairly quick response by phone the next day and they agreed to drop the additional overage but they would be charging starting from the beginning of the current period. Well my billing period is the 18th to the 18th of the next month. I was emailed by Sprint on the 7th that I had exceeded my 6Gb limit by about $12.50 and the counters not reset until the 19th. Now I spent several days in bed after I got some spinal shots in the hospital and then I got very sick with the flu I guess and spent the last 4 days mostly sleeping. Today I checked my e-mail, looked up some parts for my neighbors car, and a scan initiated by Avast and by Windows Defender and I'm up about 300Mb again (Another $15.00) Its .05 Per MB after you go over. Now they told me how to check my usage up to date by opening up the Overdrive menu and I did that today and it said I had used 2.1Gb 3G and 4G combined but their e-mail said I've used over 6.6 Gb. Interesting...isn't it?   Well I'm retired, living of SSI and 65% of what's left of my pension that TIAA/CREF didn't manage to lose in 2008 and was widowed 6 months after I retired so to me Sprint is for the wealthy people because the don't realize the money problems in the USA, or most likely mthey don't give a da!m.

Al.B

Journeyman

THERE MAY BE HOPE!

I have had the Overdrive unit for 2 years.  It is my only WiFi source ... I live just inside a 4g area as shows on Sprint map.  Have had overheating, swollen batteries .... and dropped WiFi (often).   One Overdrive unit, and battery was replaced under warranty ... but that was a while ago.  (I have never had the USB port problem , however.)  Recently went to local Sprint store to order new battery.   Would have cost me $30 plus.   Was offered new Overdrive PRO for a two year contract extension and $50 plus.  The salesperson was rather convincing about the PRO's performance.... so I took the "deal".  A no-brainer, I thought.

So far I am a happy camper!  The new PRO is rock solid ... holding on to the 4g signal.  I turn webpages as fast as I can see.

The new PRO is a smaller unit .... about half the volume of the original Overdrive ... runs cooler ... and operates just fine on the "charger only" (as I am operating now.) .....(Now that 4g is no longer unlimited data.... I hope I don't get a billing surprise like that others have written of.  I chose the 6g limit plan ... may be a problem!  We will see.)

Journeyman

DO NOT BUY THE SPRINT OVERDRIVE HOT SPOT

10 Days Using The Overdrive

$417 of Overages.  NOT HAPPY

Journeyman

Ok I got the device threee months ago, promised it would work in my home location, and as of yet, I

cannot get reception, they lied and sold me junk, I would not recommend it to anyone, does not

even work when across from towers when camping 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat