cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Overages - MiFi® 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot by Novatel Wireless HELP!!

Journeyman

We've had the MiFi card a few months and never had an issue with overage. Two days ago I get an email notification that I've a little over half way through my usage and it's only been 7 days in my bill cycle. I send an email to Sprint asking what's going on? I never received a reply; so today I call and find out that the letter I received was FIVE days too late because I already had a ton of overage by that time.

My cycle starts on the 7th

My overage started on the 10th

Received email Sprint on the 14th

Emailed Sprint asking How this is possible on the 14th

Callled Sprint 17th asking what's going on and all they could do was credit me HALF of the $500 dollar overage and recommend a higher data plan that doesn't even incorporate the data usage. I requested FRAUD immediately and FRAUD said they don't work with DATA and that I'm responsible for ALL activity on the account regaurdless if it's fraudulant or not. What is going on? Why am I going to continue having service with Sprint if they can't identify where this DATA overage is coming from. I'm going to cancel my account and not pay anything on the overags if someone can't help.

Used

43,281,007KB / 5,294,080 KB  Included

100.0%

Remaining

0KB

Additional used
37,986,927 KB
Additional charge
$500. 00

After several weeks passed by someone from Sprint found my post and engaged me. They investigated my account more throughly and did find I should have been due a credit for ALL overage charges that were made before I was notified that my account was getting close to it's limit. I'm very proud I'm working for a company that investigates things and takes the initive to respond to all these posts. Thanks very much!!! Now I only owe $58 dollars....woohoo...

10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

All that was in 3G ? and in a total of 7 days ? boils down to only 72k bytes/sec so possible.

So this was your first cycle with the unlimited 4G removed ?

They could have made a billing error, believe the mifi contains its own count, see if they match up.

If they don't, take a screen shot and send it to them.

My cycle doesn't end til tomorrow, then my account is gone.

Journeyman

Oops...3G is only 128k to 144 kbps, so it couldn't have been in 3G.

If they say it was, ask them how.

Journeyman

m-simons...thanks for the tip. I don't konw if it was in 3G or 4G mode. I had the line suspended as soon as I found out about the overage charges. I truly do not feel I racked up that many kb's. I use the device the same as I always have and for the Sprint Rep not being able to explain them I don't feel I should have to pay for them either and HALF of $500 is not cutting it. It's really got me depressed and I'm trying to stay positive. I just don't know what to do.

Journeyman

You're not alone.  I just found out I went over my unlimited plan and am currenting being charged $500.  Turns out my unlimited plan is no longer unlimited.  Didn't know Sprint was allowed to change my contract so I could be charged nearly 1,000% more than what my normal monthly bill is supposed to be.

Journeyman

OMG you have got to be kidding me!!! I have been on the phone for 3 days now because I am on the same boat.  They keep telling me I have to pay it.  I even took it to a sprint store and he changed my plan yesterday and today I looked and it's $500.00 ~ then right now it's over and I just got off the phone with the guy and he says he changed the plan to $10.00 more but it's still at 5gb and to test it out for a week and he will call me back, I told him "WTF test it out for a week?? I am already over as it is and you want me to test it out for a week so I can pay more and for you to tell me I have to pay it??"

This is my third month it's gone over, the first month I never questioned it, it was $35.00 and didn't think nothing of it, until I am barely halfway in this month and I got a text and I reviewed my bill and I was $74.00 over for last month and this month it's stopped at $43.00 but then the extra $500.00 WTF is going on???? I never recieved anything at all from sprint saying any rates changes or anything and I told them that.  My contract ended on 10/05/2011.  I am thinking of cancelling ALL 3 of my cells phones and the card and go elsewhere.  No one will help me, they just keep saying I have to pay it.  I told them to take the last 2 years of my monthly bills and compare the data plan cuz I have done nothing new or changed anything, except I moved and yes I am password protected and my contracted ended. 

Journeyman

Well after all the trouble I found out they stopped the Unlimited 4G Data on the CARD as of Nov 7th and it's causing people to go over. They said they advertised it and sent a notice with our bills. However, I never read what goes in the mail with my bills but I guess I better start. Since they did attempt to notifiy me I'm not getting any additional credits. As for the cell phones they should be okay. Sprint doesn't have an Unlimited Data Plan for the cards so I probably won't use mine any longer since 5GB obviously isn't enough. From my usage over the last 3 months mine has gone well over this. Good luck to you.

Journeyman

I was also shocked to find overage charges in excess of $500 for what I thought was an unlimited 4g data plan on my mifi. I always pay my account online and as long as my price is the same, I never think of reading the online statement. When I called sprint to dispute the charges, I was eventually transfered to a supervisor. His name was Chris (employee # 3676) and he was hands down the rudest, most condescending and arrogant person I have ever spoken to. He essentially insulted me for not reading me bill and went as far as saying that this problem would never happen to him because he always reads through his statements. He would do absolutely nothing to help me and pretty much told me that I was SOL. I finally lost my cool and said some pretty nasty things to him as I canceled my account with sprint - which I honestly enjoyed because he was just so damn condenscending. What was even worse about his guy Chris, was that when I confronted him on the fact that I was still being charged $59.99 for 5gb, yet new customers get 6gb for $49.99, he simply stated that I don't get access to the new promotions. So pretty much, Chris was saying screw current customers and give better options to new customers.

The next day, I received a phone call from Sprint's account services department and spoke to a much more empathetic and helpful rep (Jaime) and she quickly offered me a solution to the problem. Sprint would forgive my overage charges as long as I switched to the 12gb data plan. While I still think what Sprint did was extremely unethical, it was better than having to pay over $500 during the holidays. I just don't understand how a company can amend a two year contract less than half way through without a verbal confirmation. Why wouldn't they call their customers or send an email detailing the change to the contract? Well, I have a pretty good idea - they wanted this to happen. Like another poster said, I really do hope a class action lawsuit surfaces due to this issue. I also reported this issue to multiple online news organizations, the BBB and Consumer Affairs - mainly because of Chris.

Journeyman

I had cancled my sprint mobile broadband because of my $500 overage.  Sprint is still insisting I pay the $500 dollar overage.  In the mean time my account was reactivated and they are still charging me $80/mo in advance.  I cannot get the extra charges dropped since my account has been reviewed by managers.  my current bill is now $620.  What the heck Sprint?

Wizard

Re: Data Overages - MiFi® 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot by Novatel Wireless HELP!!

DJmoore20

Hi, I just read your post. At the time this occured did you have a network key set up to prevent others from accessing your device? I will send you a private message I can look at your account.

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Data Overages - MiFi® 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot by Novatel Wireless HELP!!

We have also recently changed our mobile broadband price plans to include more GB's. Browse the link below and put in your zip code and it will give the information on the new plans. I understand the elimination of the 4G unlimited is an inconvience, but hopefully the new plans will meet your needs. I am happy to speak with any one individualy and review your account if you send me a private message.

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/plan/plan_wall.jsp?tabId=pt_data_plans_tab&flow=AAL&planFamilyT...

-Lindsay

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat